News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

MOD: Linen Production - tanypredator

Started by tanypredator, May 30, 2016, 04:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanypredator

Thank you for detailed answer, @kid1293 :)

When I add all plants that I want, there would be (including standard):
1 (or maybe 2-3, but much later) wild cereal;
2 wild fruits;
3 wild vegetables;
2 wild nuts;
1 wild textiles.
I don't know, how that can be grouped. I wanted to put together fruits and nuts, well, maybe I should put together vegetables and cereals? So that one can build two little buildings in place of standard big one. Plus one for flax.

Cold Realism makes standard plants to vanish at winter. Not a problem to repeat that, only Tom Sawyer has made his own settings for that in his Nordic Landscape, so that will conflict.

Actually, yes, I can repeat functions of Busy Laborers without conflicts, you are right. What do you think about making separate buttons to gather different types of foods? Is it needed?

kid1293

Separate buttons if you intend to gather some plants in winter too.
An other thing is that you can check what's missing in the barn,
so you send them out for only that.
And make one for ALL things if you want to collect ALL.

Separate buildings on 'need a new building' only. Make one to begin
with and if you expand your fauna, make two. You figure it out. :)

tanypredator

@kid1293, I'm sorry, I cannot say that I understand you about winter and about fauna.

Quote from: kid1293 on June 09, 2016, 09:11:28 AM
An other thing is that you can check what's missing in the barn,
so you send them out for only that.
And make one for ALL things if you want to collect ALL.

That is exactly what I meant. Just not sure if this separate buttons are needed at all.

kid1293

It's hard to explain.
I use to give people tasks to do, in winter and in summer.
If there is nothing to gather I can send them to a different
task, a kind of micromanagement from my side.
They are more efficient when given a task. They do not
idle much.

The buttons can be too many or too few, you decide.
If you want just oats then you must send them out
either to gather only oats or everything.

Do wild roses have fruit in the winter?
Yes, so it's a different logic to assigning tasks.

The same people can gather oats in summer and
rose hips in winter. Then you can have just one
button and leave them.

It's always a matter of taste how you play.
You can't always make everyone satisfied.  :(

I am no judge of how you make your mod.
It's only if I feel happy about it that counts. :)
And this far you are fantastic!

tanypredator

@kid1293, thank you :)

I'll try to make this clear buttons and then test different variants. What I have in mind now is one parent button in "clear" tools, that expands into "all foods", "cereals", "fruits", "vegs", "nuts", "herbs", and "flax".

tanypredator

Heh, I've found the reason of some (if not most) cases of very decreased yield. It is gatherers' behaviour! When there is nothing to gather they go and do some laborer jobs, but then there are already many plants to gather, and they still continue to do this laborer jobs! Or even just to idle! But if I dismiss them from that workplace and assign again, they go and gather what they should! ??? Don't know if that is connected to any mods or just the game's problem. What is most funny thing is that seems that not all workers behave in this way :)

And also a random distribution of plants.

kid1293

:)

Glad you found that out.
One thing I find disturbing is when you assign a task,
the person who has longest way to go gets the job.
But I learned that it has to do with where they live,
not where they are at the moment. I'm pretty sure that
the one who has his/her house closest gets the job.

Tom Sawyer

I made the berries, mushrooms and herbs temperature dependent. Roots and onions are available in winter but less substantial. If you change the vanilla wild plants, it would be conflict.

The direct harvesting of wild plants is a deactivated vanilla function. There is a toolbutton included. I think it is only a nice to have in the early game. The main thing is imo that the laborers get a yield while clearing the area for a building or a road. Different buttons for each wildfruit I would not need. Maybe separate buttons for foods, herbs and textiles. So if I need herbs, I can send the laborers to an area to gather it without wasting time for mushrooms. But this is theory. In the game they are too lame. The next winter is coming befor they go for it. The other problem is that the laborers don't gather, they remove it. That means, they dont wait until the plant is matured.

tanypredator

@Tom Sawyer, thank you. I think I'll make different versions of New flora, one compatible with your mod and Busy laborers, and another - with all that I want included.

As a matter of fact, onion cannot survive at winter, roots - only at very mild winter, some berries and herbs and very few mushrooms are available, as well as wild grains and some nuts. But we are limited by the appearance of standard plants, and standard herbs at least don't look good at winter. I'll think about it.

UPD Or no, I'll not include cold realism. My last tests show that they are not interfering.

Tom Sawyer

Hm ok, onions are not hardy. Actually onions don't grow in a forest, or? They should grow on a field. Maybe bulb or tuber would be a better word for it. If I think about this, I have no idea what a kind of edible onion, bulb or root I can find in my forest. Maybe I could eat a couple but I would still be hungry. The same with any kind of grass or "wild grain". There are mushrooms in summer and autum, in winter not. Some berries in summer and your rose hips in winter too. Then maybe hazelnuts and beechnuts. You know beechnuts? But that all would not be enough to feed a family. To survive I hade to hunt. I think the banished gatherer is not realistic. They live in a paradies. :)

tanypredator

Onions: there are some species, but mostly in North America - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_onion

Roots: I would prefer not to eat forest roots :) But in past people ate many of them.

I've found some advices about eating dry seeds of different grasses. And I used to add cowberry leaves to my tea in the forest at winter :) Cranberries and ashberries can be gathered in winter forest.