Main Menu

Suggestion: Tiny Indians Theme Mod

Started by triangle, December 31, 2017, 02:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discrepancy

The Tipi's look great :)

Quote from: triangle
Known Issues:
there is not a damaged model so if you run the game with disasters turned on and the tipi burns to the ground.. you will most likely see remnants rubble that is the same as the small wooden house (or) it may crash horribly so don't expect much it is still in beta stage but I am confident that it works fine as it should otherwise.

It doesn't crash when they catch fire, all is okay. The game itself handles the initial texture changes via the code that you have included in the mesh file:
Skin _skins
[
{
MaterialInstance _materials
[
"Models\MaterialInstance\SmallTipi01Material.rsc:damage"
]
}
]

within the material file you have something similar:
MaterialInstance damage
{
Material _material = "Material\OpaqueSnow\OpaqueSnowDamageMaterial.rsc";
Texture _textures
[
{
String _name = "diffuse";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\MaterialInstance\SmallTipi01Texture.rsc";
}
{
String _name = "damage";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\Buildings\DamageTexture.rsc";
}
{
String _name = "snow";
ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\TerrainSnowTexture.rsc";
}
]
}

Normally a building will only have this code and revert back to the build01 stage. With the code handling the charred damaged look to the texture.

Now once the fire is out, your models are still showing the banished footprint texture. The footprint works the same as the material texture code and simply alters the original texture, so you don't need another footprint.

In terms of altering the model itself, by calling 'destroy' in your template file 'ComponentDescription resource':

DestroyDescription destroy
{
ComponentDescription _replaceEntity = "destroyed";
}

this code it calls can than act as the destroyed model. The Template/IronMine.rsc file has the key into doing this: (the Quarry.rsc has part of the code in it, but a destroyed model was not obviously made and it isn't called up)

what makes the iron mine different is this part, which acts as the call code for what the game is seeing as a new building(the destroyed variant):

ComponentDescription destroyed
{
// how often to update
UpdatePriority _updatePriority = None;

// declare types that will be used
Description _descriptions
[
"map",
"zone",
"decal",
"modeldestroyed",
"radius",
"happiness",
]
}

the "modeldestroyed" is the part that is different to the other buildings,

this code simply calls up another model that you can make and texture how you'd like:

ModelDescription modeldestroyed
{
MeshGroup _meshes
[
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
"Models\Buildings\IronMine\IronMineDestroyMesh.rsc",
]
}
]
int _displayIndex = 0;
int _subIndex = 0;
bool _randomIndex = false;
}

with your 3 f-key variants, just duplicate the code call like the other models, they can be the same or different otherwise only 1 model will show a destroyed version:

ModelDescription modeldestroyed
{
MeshGroup _meshes
[
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
]
}
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
]
}
{
GraphicsMesh _mesh
[
]
}
]
int _displayIndex = 0;
int _subIndex = 0;
bool _randomIndex = false;
}

Overall, great work though, they do look nice.

Discrepancy

oh, but if you add this damaged/ruined building you will need to be able to rebuild.

so include the "ui", call within ComponentDescription destroyed.
also make code and the calls to be able to select the model - so the 'picking' and 'highlight' just like the normal models:
ComponentDescription destroyed
{
// how often to update
UpdatePriority _updatePriority = None;

// declare types that will be used
Description _descriptions
[
"ui",

"map",
"zone",
"decal",
"modeldestroyed",
"pickingdestroyed",
"highlightdestroyed",
"radius",
"happiness",
]
}

triangle

Thanks D, I was stuck with that and didn't want to pester anyone.
I will look into updating it when I get some time.

For anyone else wondering how to build a SmallTipi right away when first starting the game on hard setting and then notice you Require 8 Leather..

I Highly recommend using Tom Sawyers Hunting and Gathering V3 (1.07) or you wont be able to build it!

I use his mod along side this SmallTipi mod and it works perfectly.

Tips and Tricks: 

When you first start a new game plot your Tipi's but pause the construction on all but One, Deligate 2-bannies to gather wood, 1-2 bannies to gather stone, and 3-4 hunters to Hunt for deer to collect leather Right Away!

Focus ononly one Tipi at a time so that your hunters gather leather to drop into the wagon and then take to the Tipi construction site.

once the first TP is built they store that TP which has 600 storage with the excess Venison so that your little wagon storage does not fill to the maximum storage limit.

otherwise the wagon will fill up with venison meat and they subsequently can't store the leather that they need to build all the Tipi's with.

Equally important: If you notice the bannies start gathering the meat firstly and mostly plainly ignoring the leather deer pelts for last you can & should increase priority by clicking on the leather pelts individually on the map that then should highlight red to ensure they take priority of gathering leather over meat.

so one at a time after the first one is built *unpause* construction to the next TP until you eventually run out of leather. you should always be able to build atleast 4 tipi's if done correctly. I tested this over 20 times on hard and never lost 1 bannie so I know it works.

have fun with it. =)

adelegarland

Hi @triangle
just playing around with it now, Love it!  You're right, they are hard to build n the beginning,   I'm using Red's Watch Towers to hunt down leather fast, but still takes work!  But they look so good in game!  Thanks!
I am not a crazy cat lady...  I'm THE Crazy Cat Lady.

triangle

no problem, I was afraid to release it mainly because I didn't know what might happen to some once the damaged model triggered. I never fully tested everything, but I saw the code reference the wooden house in the rsc files in there from the tutorial source but I am glad Discrepancy cleared all that up.  so no worry's and I will update it in a few days if I have time.