News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Oolitic: as hard as I can make it

Started by irrelevant, November 06, 2015, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on November 21, 2015, 03:23:28 AM
Great! I knew you would make it! Congratulations!

What was the reason for starvation? I know, not enough food, but I mean; Didn't you have enough to sell? Were there not enough boats selling food?

You say you would sell leather, iron and firewood. Why not venison?
Thanks @Nilla , but I still have not reached the final goal of One With Nature, which requires pop 400, and I'm unsure whether I can make it now.

I didn't take seriously enough your advice about firewood, I'm producing only about 2000/year, and this is not nearly enough (I should have done some more calculating before I exploded pop to 300), it doesn't even cover heating the houses I have.

Producing ~15,000 food, so I'm in a hole there now as well, and I've traded away much of my iron (probably have gone too far there already) and leather. I had been so focused on getting to 300 and building TPs, I didn't adequately consider what would happen after that. Looking back, I should have built 4 more BHs instead and pushed on to 400. I probably would have made it.

But now, I need to triple my firewood production in order to have enough to trade. I'm getting ~80 leather, but that is just a drop in the bucket. I'm also getting ~3600 venison, which would trade up to 10,800 food.

I didn't trade venison at first because by the time the TPs were up, the venison was already mostly eaten, and what remained was scattered around the map. I didn't want my traders to be wasting their time picking up 30 venison here and there, but now that's exactly what about half of them are doing.

Still considering what I am going to do now. One option is reverting to an earlier save and trying to push straight through to 400. I'd rather not do that though. The only other option is to close down a bunch of housing and collect all the food into the TPs, induce some starvation, and drop back down to ~150 pop. Trade for enough food to create another large surplus, and then boom again. Sounds like something @Nilla would do.  ;)

The earlier starvation I think was due to local food shortages on the western side of the map where the quarry is. Total available food was under 1000 for many months at a time, and even with buying food, now it never gets above more than 3500 or so, even if I manage buy 10,000 food from a single merchant. And now there isn't enough firewood to do that very many more times.

irrelevant

Year 46 - pop 141

Induced starvation. Back down to a manageable pop. Going to build up food and firewood, then push for 400.

Did manage to buy a bit of stone while that was going on, so I won't have to work the quarry for awhile. The big challenge will be making more choppers while preserving 47 fake-demo'd houses  :o :( >:( ;D

irrelevant

Now I see the way forward. It's time to forget about gathering food, and concentrate on producing firewood. Need a couple more TPs and lots of choppers. Over my past few towns I've developed a dislike of trading, but that is what is necessary here.

I've also figured out how to build new structures when you have a lot of houses fake-demo'd. You simply recover all the houses, build all your projects at once, then re-demolish the houses. It's inefficient, but far better than watching all the houses to make sure none of them get actual-demo'd. ;D

irrelevant

Year 54 - pop 256

Last year 8 BHs burned a total 224 firewood, 28 each. That's much less than I had thought.

irrelevant

Year 61 - pop 401

One with Nature done. Food and fuel were a rollercoaster the last 7 years. Never really did get close, but it always looked like it was going to.