News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A Menu for Banished Towns?

Started by OldnRetired, June 04, 2016, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldnRetired

Can any of the members show me how to call up ANY Banished town I have created without having to swap the /windir  and set up the mod-list for that town?
Maybe a menu of the towns I have built and when the town is selected a batch file calls all the mods used in that town and THEN puts it in the /windir and THEN starts Banished.
I guess we all have our "favorite" towns we revisit, but with all the mods even a spreadsheet becomes way too complicated.
I don't use STEAM ... bought from GOG.
I have been a computer user since the "Commodore PET" with 8k of memory and the small "chicklet" keyboard with cassette tape. At that time I learned some programming in Commodore BASIC for my kids until THEY out did ME!
RedK, or ShockP or anyone else ... any thoughts\ideas???

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

OldnRetired

Yes, Red ... a .bat file.
Is it possible to create something like I described?

RedKetchup

yes, totally.

you will have to do your bat file and fill it with DOS commands

like copy c:\backup\medievaltown.pkm d:\banished\bin\windata (for example)

there are many websites that list you all the bat file commands, this is one of these... feel free to find the one that suits you the best.
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/batchcommands.php

OldnRetired

Thanks Red .... I'll take a look!

RedKetchup

you will probably need to find a better website cause that one doesnt seem to give you the /options
for example copy. what if the file already exist and you want to overwrite it ? and to not ask you the question if you really want to overwrite ? there is an option to put at the end to tell it : overwrite and do not ask ^^

that are the options of the commands

OldnRetired

Yes, I understand.  I just have to get my 74 y.o. brain to rethink how I want to get where I want to go with this.    :)

Admin

Take a look at this website.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/78083-batch-files-create-menu-execute-commands.html

I would create separate folders for each of your towns that include all the files you need.
Then, make the batch file with a menu that lists the towns you want to play. A select you make will jump to the place in the batch file where the necessary files will get copied from its separate folder to Banished, including the mods, and then launch banished.

If I understand your request correctly!  :)

OldnRetired

Sorry for the delayed reply ..... I was thinking the same.. seperate folders for each town and swapping in & out the Mods. 
I'll fiddle with building the batch file when I have time ... Health issues slow me down.

Thanks to You & to RedK !!   Everyone here at WoB really are a great group !!! 

Turis

You don't have to do anything of that. Keep all the mods in the Windata folder. Start Banished, go to mods and enable or disable the mods you want to use then start a new city. Changing the mods from the main menu doesn't affect saved cities.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Turis on June 13, 2016, 04:03:46 PM
You don't have to do anything of that. Keep all the mods in the Windata folder. Start Banished, go to mods and enable or disable the mods you want to use then start a new city. Changing the mods from the main menu doesn't affect saved cities.

maybe he has some cities made with the NMT version 1.0 and some cities made with the version 1.1b which not compatible... some cities made with 2.0 which is also non compatible ... and CC 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 .....
CC have different name for .pkm but not NMT (sorry) and probably same for all other mods.
if they have the exact same names, then they get replaced each other in his windata folder.

Turis

OldnRetired

Yes, Red you have it correct.  Since I started to "keep" some of my towns it's a real pain swapping windata folders and the hundreds of mods I have used over the past 2 years.  I have a spreadsheet which I logged each "kept" town and listed all the mods for that town.  Now with so many mods having different versions BUT having the same ".pkm" filename it's a real headache.  Right now one of my early spreadsheets has over 50 towns and mods from 2 years ago.  At least 25 of the mods used are no longer available (as far as I know) anywhere on-line. So those ".pkm" files I have are in a protected folder.

Again I'll say it ... THANK YOU to ALL the great mods from ALL the great modders on this site!

Sorry, I can't type anymore ... another 100-mile round trip to doctors......