News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Bald Hills: uneducated isolation, and now, toolless

Started by irrelevant, March 18, 2015, 07:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trizeropz

so in my town i only export firewood and not ale too like other guys. i just have 17 taverns for 4000 people to hold my 4,5 stars of happiness. did someone checked how much it really waste for alcohol? i compared churches with taverns. i think the local happiness they give is almost same. churches just have bigger radius. but the space they need is much different. thats why i demolished all my churches and just let my taverns there. if i destroy my taverns now too, i would have like 3 or 3,5 stars of happiness^^
so you think the food needed for aclohol isnt worth the happiness taverns give you?

have fun:)

irrelevant

I have 4.5 stars here with no taverns at all. I'm not suggesting to tear down anything. As an experiment though, you could try not producing ale and see what happens. Does the ale cause happiness, or is it the tavern?

Trizeropz

i dont know if its the tavern or the ale and im wondering why you have 4,5 without them. im doing something wrong^^

irrelevant

I use cemeteries and wells for happiness  ;) That's why I have all those expensive little cemeteries spread around everywhere, more happiness circles than with a few larger ones.

Even better than not producing ale, take all of it and use it for trading. Just for a year or two to see what happens.

Trizeropz

they drink it to fast. i have now 17 taverns for 4k people. only have 2600 left. two years earlier i had 5700. and i dont want to build new ones^^

Nilla

As I started to play Banished I made some experiments about the happines;

My conclusions:
Ale, churches, wells and other happines buildings, all make just a little increase of happines, hardly to notice. A waste to build, if you just use them for happines.

The only things that really have a larger impact are graveyards.

As far as I have noticed;  the only real bad "unhappiness-maker" is the death of a family member. If someone in your family dies, the stars go down to ½* of all the family members, unless there is a graveyard (not full) close. Than it might stay ***** or go down to ***. The unhappiness last their whole life. So if you have no free graveyard and a parent dies, the children will stay unhappy until they die. I haven't found anything to increase the stars in such a case.

In a normal game, where you build enough houses, there are seldom any children living at home, as the parents die of old age. It is different in a game when you build very little houses. Than there are many grown up children, still living with their parents when they die. The happines goes down. You can see this very good in my last game, where I couldn't build any new houses for many years.

irrelevant

I think the most important effect of wells, chapels, etc is to cancel out the "happiness detraction" effect caused by mines and quarries, particularly in areas where they are concentrated and their circles of effect overlap and compound themselves.

irrelevant

Tonight should be interesting. Nearing the top of the pop curve, and children already have crashed back down. Not going to do anything to try to manage what happens this time; no evictions or building new houses to try to get new breeders hooked up before they get too old. If I do that I'll just get another upswing that will go even higher than the last one did, and this town can't take that.

I'll take whatever happens. ;D

irrelevant

Year 100

Made it past the pop nadir; here we go again....

The subtitle of this town is "The Uneducated Struggle for Iron." It's tough. I could never have made it this far without the leveling tool making it possible to place mines.

Half my effort goes to creating new mines. The other half is juggling the number of miners, foresters, gatherers, farmers, and laborers so I'm not running into any shortages. It does no good for your guys to produce resources if you haven't enough laborers to store them....

Nilla

These "mine ruins" are really impressive!  ;D

You should have used the CC mod. ;) There you can upgrade the mines twice! Not for free, they use a lot of candles and lamp oil for that.

Do you know what I would have tried, if I had played your town?

I would have increased the number of fields a lot. Than close all the mines and toolmakers. All! Send the miners and blacksmiths to the farms. And see if the settlement could survive without tools.

In some of may games with uneducated, I had a lack of tools (who can believe that? ;) ) For quite a long time. I found the production not so much worse with these tool-less people. I noticed that they are running around looking for tools a lot, but if there are no tools at all, maybe they wouldn't do that.

Maybe worth a try?

irrelevant

@Nilla this is so funny! This morning as I was driving to work, I had decided to do exactly this. There is nothing further to learn continuing this town as it has been going the past three cycles. But it will be very interesting to see how these uneducated folk make out with nothing but foresters, farmers, and choppers.

Oh, and hunters. But if they can eke out their existence without tools, after a few years I may see how they do without clothing as well. I'll keep the fishers instead, for meat.

Back to nature!

Nilla

irrelevant

Year 102

The stage is set and there's no turning back. I've demolished all mines, blacksmiths, and smithy markets. I've saved enough iron to build one TP and three taverns  ;)

Fully manned 19 foresters, 11 gatherers, 12 choppers, 29 hunters. Not expanding farms for now, I think there are enough. I may double up farmers however.

Tools clicking down.....