Ostriv - a new city-building game in development

Started by yevheniy, October 01, 2016, 07:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Suppose we should now ask: Are there elephants in your game?  ;D

yevheniy

Quote from: Pangaea on October 06, 2016, 12:33:04 PM
Suppose we should now ask: Are there elephants in your game?  ;D
The last time I've seen elephants in city-building game was in Caesar III and they just ruined my city ::)

DesoPL

I wish someday i may see some fantasy city builder. There is not many of them. ;/

yevheniy

Quote from: DesoPL on October 09, 2016, 09:46:35 AM
I wish someday i may see some fantasy city builder. There is not many of them. ;/
How would you describe it?

yevheniy

I'm making some progress, btw. Added bridges, a couple of new buildings, and started working on dynamic sky. What do you think?

kid1293

Looks very nice!

The perspective is different from other citybuilding game.
You get closer and can more judge the land surrounding buildings.
This way the world will feel bigger. Who knows what is further up the river?
I think this will be a very personal experience.
I will probably follow chosen persons or concentrate on some area.

I didn't follow the thread. Is it a choice to play first-person?

Nilla

Nice!

I haven't written anything on this thread before but I have been thinking a bit about your game and your questions.

First I think you should think about, if you make a city builder game or a strategy/simulation game or both. I will explain, what I mean;

In a city builder you  focus is on building beautiful, interesting (but of cause also functional) settlements. If that's your primary goal, I think you will need a modding community to be successful. I can't tell you what the game need to attract such a community, I'm not a modder or that kind of player.

I'm rather the strategy/simulation person. I like difficulties in the gameplay, I like problems, I like disasters, I like to test the limits. In Banished: How many people can a small map support? what is without, schools? without trade? without farming?how can I rebuild after a major city fire or mass starvation?.............. If it looks nice; good! But for me, that's not the main thing.

So, how can you attract players like me? And maybe a citybuilder as well? Because it looks like you have the ambition to attract us all.

Have your game something new? I mean really new, that no other game has, not only a nicer graphic and animation.

I think it should be possible to choose among different difficulty levels. You can't really do this in Banished. The difference between the harder and easier options are small. Since I don't know your game, it's hard to say how this could be done.

Banished tries a bit with climate, types of maps, small "disasters" on/off. This could of cause be made with a bigger impact in your game.

Other possibilities could be differences in production efficiency, population growth (more children=more mouths to feed), maybe different levels of tax, that had to be payed to some absent king or some regulations of what kind of production/how many of each kind could be establish on certain places. Smaller (or bigger??) obstacles put in your way.

DesoPL

Quote from: yevheniy on October 13, 2016, 09:16:29 AM
Quote from: DesoPL on October 09, 2016, 09:46:35 AM
How would you describe it?

Something like Banished, but instead of making RL stuff etc, maybe some fantasy ones like magical dust etc.

And nice bridge!

yevheniy

Quote from: kid1293 on October 15, 2016, 07:49:10 AM
I think this will be a very personal experience.
I will probably follow chosen persons or concentrate on some area.
Btw, that's on of my points. I want to add more personality to citizens and make interactions with them more human-like. So there won't be just colored bars showing their health/happines/etc but a direct speech (in text version) and you will need to ask them to know what's their mood, what problems do they encounter or they can just tell you some funny story from their life. I think this would make the world more believable and improve player's engagement.
Same for trade routes: to start trading with some other city, you will need to hire a messenger, give him a horse and send him to that city; once he arrives, he (means you) starts to negotiate to make a deal; so the price and amount of goods you can sell depends on how you negotiate.
Quote from: kid1293 on October 15, 2016, 07:49:10 AM
Is it a choice to play first-person?
This requires a lot more work on details, so it probably won't be included in initial release

Quote from: Nilla on October 15, 2016, 08:18:50 AMI think it should be possible to choose among different difficulty levels.
Well, I planning on making two separate game modes: campaign and sandbox. In campaign you gradually evolve and build each time bigger and more advanced cities, so getting more difficult as you progress. Each of campaign cities you may continue in sandbox mode, once you've finished the level (I know it well - people just don't want to leave their cities :) )
When starting a sandbox game, you define everything at start: how many buildings available, how many resources, disasters, ovarall difficulty etc. Or just choose from predifined scenarios/challenges

Quote from: DesoPL on October 15, 2016, 09:45:18 AM
Something like Banished, but instead of making RL stuff etc, maybe some fantasy ones like magical dust etc.
Okay, I'll take this note for future expansions)

yevheniy

I've made a big gallery update on http://ostrivgame.com
Now all the screenshots are with UI + improved visuals. And also a new devlog: http://ostrivgame.com/big-gallery-update-and-development-progress/

Fellow Villager

damn it looks so fine
i like russian models, something never done

yevheniy

Quote from: Fellow Villager on October 30, 2016, 09:24:34 AM
damn it looks so fine
i like russian models, something never done
Thanks! But I didn't use any "russian models" :)

yevheniy

kid1293

Very nice!

I have a small question (and hopes to company it)
Does all animation have the same high quality?

I know you made wind dependent movement.
Is this the general (high) degree of what will be
when you release?

It will surely be spectacular!