News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Shamrock Glen - Story 66

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2021, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 66th story in the Smallville Series and tells the tale of an assortment of survivors of the outbreak of tornados that did wide-scale damage in year 52 SVT, from the meadows and moorlands in the northeast to O'Leary's Farm (story 41), to Springfield (story 23), and to Newport (story 12).  These 8 families met on the moors and together they settled at the edge of the woodlands south of Misty Meadow (story 37).  The story begins late in year 52 SVT.

The map seed  # 2359929                One River, Small,   Mild,  Disasters Off,  Easy 8 Families

Mods activated for this map and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:   Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Light Rain, do Daylight Cycle, override Map, Settlers Deco, A8Japenese Trees, Kid Tree Replacer Deco, Kid Tree Replacer Fairy (vanilla pines & Kid birch), New Flora Edit, New Trees, Family Starts

Tweak Mods:   Dried Mushrooms, Fishing Dock +25%, Hunting (TS), Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative (Voeille), Override Fairy Clothes, Rocks Respawn, Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:    An Empty Square, Nomads (Kid), Storage Crates, Jinxie Bitty Rabbit Hutch, Kid Abandoned Places, Kid Fairy Garden (new, testing), Kid Forest Deep, Kid Workplace Village, Mini Buildings (BL)

Supporting Mods:  Deco Sunflower, Kid Deco Plants, Kid Deco Farm Animals, Kid Farmyard, Kid Forest Ponds, Kid Garden Shed II, Kid Ghost Flowers, Kid Market Carts, Kid Mist, Kid Wayshrine, Kid Work Shop, Money Bag (TS), Mushroom Crop, Shroom, Tiny Chopper

New Mod Note:  Kid Fairy Garden mod is magical and seasonal.  The porch railing on a nice house Kid made inspired the mod.  It was made to match Kid Forest Deep for spring, Kid Fairy Tale for summer, and Kid Coven for autumn but matches other mods and the pieces can be used in any season.  Although this story is for spring, I'll show a sample of the other seasons as well.

Welcome to Shamrock Glen, weary traveler.  Being a human, there is much you need to know, especially about fairies, should you decide to settle here with us.  We were a mixed group when we arrived, 5 families of elves, 2 of hobbits, and 1 human couple.  It would have been a bit easier for the humans had we told them sooner what they needed to know.  You've already had a run in with fairies if it was fairy lights that led you here.  Come sit by the fire and I'll tell you about our experiences with fairies once upon a time.   

Abandoned

Kristahfer

I love your video selection. Fantasia was the movie I chose for the first date of my life. I still remember the movie but the girl of my first date not so much.

This story is going to be fantastic.

Abandoned

:)  It's funny what we remember and what we don't from the past.  Disney is always memorable.  I was very happy to find this video.

Abandoned

Chapter 1

The little ghost lights you saw were Will o' the Wisps that fairies often use to lead travelers astray, especially at night and in the forest. The wisps are most often seen in the swamps, marshes, and bogs but we've seen them on the moors too.  Elves have been helped by fairies in the past and we can even summon them with magic spells.  So when we saw the wisps we followed them.

My husband, Normann, and I came to the meadowlands from Crystal Canyon that spring with 4 other Elven families.  We had just begun building a haven settlement when the tornado struck.  All that we had done was completely destroyed.  We knew there were other small settlements to the south, directly in the path of the storm, we had to check if there were survivors.  We found 2 hobbit families and some pigs and 1 human couple and some sheep.  We helped them salvaged what little there was and together we headed west towards the Woodlands.  There may have been other survivors out there but we had to get off the open moors, there were several more severe rain and wind storm.  It was rough going with 10 young children, the sheep, and the pigs.  We came across a few other destroyed settlements but no more survivors.  We took shelter briefly in an abandoned settlement where I gave birth to a baby girl in early autumn.  We pushed on, sometimes traveling at night.  It would soon be winter, we had to settle soon.

It was late autumn when we reached the end of the moorlands and came over a ridge to see the forest ahead of us, and a wide river.  And that's when we saw the Will o' the Wisps.   They appeared before us and seemed to be showing us a path through the forest.  From the top of a  small hill we could see they were leading us to a portal beside the river, yes, a portal, a magic portal.  The hobbits understood magic but we had to  convinced the humans to follow us through.  It was a one-way portal, there'd be no turning back.

Abandoned

Chapter 2

We emerged from the portal exit on the other side of the river.   The wisps were circling a stockpile and carts of supplies.  We knew these supplies were meant for us and as soon as we approached the carts, the wisps dissipated, they had done their job of getting us here.  The carts contained food, tools, and clothes.  Fairy frocks to be exact, pretty colored linen clothes.  Fairies liked pretty things.  We were just glad to have a change of clean dry clothes, we were all pretty dirty and ragged after our ordeals.

We were in an area of the Woodlands know as Shamrock Woods, the secluded valley was known as the Glen of Shamrock Woods.  It was just the sort of place fairies and leprechauns would prefer.  Yes, leprechauns, they actually are a type of fairy but quite different.  I am elven but have a bit of leprechaun blood, my name is Dariam, Dari for short.  Leprechauns are the reason this area is called Shamrock Woods, the area itself is quite different, as different as our 8 families.   

The low lying area where the river bends is a wetland forest where mushrooms grow in abundance.   The 2 hobbit families wasted no time hollowing out 2 of the large mushrooms to live in.  They would have plenty of mushrooms to eat and we all know how much hobbits like mushrooms.  The pigs and piglets wasted no time burrowing into the soft damp soil.  In spring the hobbits would plant some of the seeds and seedlings that they refused to leave their destroyed farms without.

We elves preferred the forest area on higher ground farther from the river.  There was a hedgerow and plenty of wild foods to gather, a forest pond with a waterfall, and several herds of deer.  We immediately built a hunter hideout, we had a few elven bows and enchanted arrows we salvaged after the storm.   With the help of a little elven magic we soon had 5 houses built in the trees.   We only had a few manna crystals with us so we would not be able to use much magic here.  Only purebred elves can use magic.

There were several clearings in this forest and the human couple choose to built a nice house in the clearing by the stockpile and supply carts.  They would tend the sheep and in spring they would try their hand at growing some of the seeds the hobbits gave them.  They were young and did not have much experience, she had been a teacher and he a blacksmith.  As I said, they had a lot to learn especially about fairies.

taniu

@Abandoned ;D ;D ;D A great start to a story. I am very happy that you have placed the Magic Portal Entrance - I have a question, can this Portal be a separate mod? - I really care about it, I need it for other fantastic stories. Maybe Master @ Kid1293 would make available as a separate mod ?????? I have one more idea - if we have a Portal, we can visit many different worlds - "Dark Matter" Philip Pullman comes to my mind and maybe bannies will land on some planet, who knows? What do you think about this idea? Cordial greetings

Abandoned

@taniu  :)  I knew you would like the magic portal.  It is a nomad generator that has %s to choose or it can just be deco.  If @kid1293 make it separate, do you want only deco or nomads too? 

My map only allows for settlements on this planet with water so I don't think I will be space traveling.  Kid thinks some of my ideas are a little far-out the way it is  :D  but who knows what the future may hold or what Kid may choose to make.  Thanks for idea.

kid1293

;D Sorry @taniu - I try to keep myself on the ground.
It can be tough with all the ideas @Abandoned and I throw at each other.
Making a total conversion for Banished is too much for me!

kid1293

Here you go @taniu

A Magic Portal. It is placed on the vanilla toolbar:services because of the nomads.
If you want no nomads you simply select the first portal (0 percent).

Abandoned

Chapter 3

By spring the hobbits were doing quite well in the mushroom grove. The area itself was very pretty, abloom with flowering plants and trees.  The hobbits were warm and comfortable in their mushroom homes carved out of 2 of the half dozen large mushrooms in the area. They set up a tiny chopping stump to cut their own firewood.   

The pigs and piglets were doing quite well in the muddy moorland soil of the grove.  There were mushrooms to be picked and the hobbits planted an apple tree seedling to provide a little shade and apples for pigs and for themselves to eat.  They built a fence of branches like they saw the humans build by their nice house.

The hobbits planted a spring garden with 2 pear tree seedlings, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, wild oats, mushrooms, berries, squash, and rose hips.  We were not surprised when little fairies came out of the forest to help the hobbits.  The fairies immediately began gathering fairy dust from a large purple flower to sprinkle on the spring garden to make it grow.  It's said the little winged fairies, often called sprites, are spirits of nature and growth, that they actually are the link between sun, soil, and seeds, yes, somewhat like bees and butterflies.

taniu

@kid1293  ;D ;D ;D wow! thank you very much for fulfilling my request very quickly - I am very happy for this mod. You're wonderful. I know that some ideas cannot be realized but I like to dream a bit. You thought about adding Portal as a deco - great idea. As for Bannies in space - maybe someone will take up this topic - creator Luke? or another person? who knows that? Cheers

taniu

@Abandoned :D :D :DI really like the texture of the mushroom house - Great idea. You tell about the history of dwarves, fairies, hobbits  - they are great and by the way we can see the wonderful mods that these stories present. There are a lot of stories and worlds like stars in the sky.Continue your story because I'm more curious how it will end.If I ask for something, I will write - @ Kid and you @Abandoned you will either reject or agree to my project - who is it knows? If I can help somehow, I would like to join? just not moderating - I mean testing, or how the game goes, a modest donation  etc. Cheers

Abandoned

There are no dwarves in this story @taniu   Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome and will be considered but they should be on another thread in the Suggestion section instead of in the stories.  :)  It is enough that you appreciate the mods and like the stories.  :)  Thank you for all the kind words  :)

taniu

@Abandoned :-[ :( ;)Sorry for the confusion,  I will not disturb the course of your current story  - just 1 question -You wrote the stories The Forge (of Dwarves) - Story 65 This story is about dwarves, does my translator misinterpret? -
it's good that you have set up the Out of this World department and I'll be directing my questions and ideas there. You have to forgive me I'm old man - I have crazy ideas - I know this game is technically limited and in fact the moderators have made a miracle with the mods - I am very grateful for that. Abandoned Tale - Shamrock Glen - Story 66 - includes Hobitts, Fairies, and Gnomes - Fairies don't have Dwarves - you are right, I'm only  - I argued that they already exist in other stories. - heartfelt Greetings ;D