Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Shamrock Glen - Story 66

Started by Abandoned, February 27, 2021, 08:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: Abandoned on March 03, 2021, 08:47:39 AM
Chapter 3

By spring the hobbits were doing quite well in the mushroom grove. The area itself was very pretty, abloom with flowering plants and trees.  The hobbits were warm and comfortable in their mushroom homes carved out of 2 of the half dozen large mushrooms in the area. They set up a tiny chopping stump to cut their own firewood.   

The pigs and piglets were doing quite well in the muddy moorland soil of the grove.  There were mushrooms to be picked and the hobbits planted an apple tree seedling to provide a little shade and apples for pigs and for themselves to eat.  They built a fence of branches like they saw the humans build by their nice house.

The hobbits planted a spring garden with 2 pear tree seedlings, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, wild oats, mushrooms, berries, squash, and rose hips.  We were not surprised when little fairies came out of the forest to help the hobbits.  The fairies immediately began gathering fairy dust from a large purple flower to sprinkle on the spring garden to make it grow.  It's said the little winged fairies, often called sprites, are spirits of nature and growth, that they actually are the link between sun, soil, and seeds, yes, somewhat like bees and butterflies.

Hi!
where does that beautiful mud in the pigsty come from?
thanks!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Abandoned

:) @taniu It is okay, yes the previous story was indeed about dwarves, they are very down-to-earth kind of guys.  Out of this World thread will be a good place for other ideas.

@assobanana76 The mud is part of the pig farmyard, it produces apples, mushrooms, pork, and leather. The pigs are one of the 18 farmyards in Kid Farmyard mod here:   http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=589

The garden across from the pig farmyard is part of the new Kid Fairy Garden mod.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Our elven forest area was very pretty in spring also, and our leafy evergreen tree houses were warm and comfortable.  We gathered branches for firewood from the forest and the hedgerow.  We also gathered apples, chestnuts, berries, and flax from that hedgerow and wild foods from the forest.  Three of our 5 elven families lived close together by the hedgerow and small shed, 1 family lived closer to the hunter hideout, and Normann and I and our baby girl lived by the forest pond where Norm fished.  He built a fence around the pond area so little Chimeredith didn't wander off if he took her to the pond with him.  He said she looked just like one of the little fairies but without any wings.  Only purebred fairies have wings.

We often saw the little fairies fluttering around the wildflowers and the forest pond.  A few little birdhouses magically appeared here and there.  Small chores were being done for us at night, inside and out.  If dishes weren't washed or clothes put away, they were by morning.  If a basket of gathered food wasn't stored in the shed it was by morning.  If a pile of firewood was left by the stockpile, it was neatly stacked by morning.  I'm not saying outright that it was fairies who did those things, but you know that is what I am saying.  They want no acknowledgement or thanks, it is best to pretend you do not even see them.  And it is very bad luck to tell what fairies have done for you.  If you tell someone fairies did this or fairies did that, they will stop doing it.  You may even become the target of tricks and pranks.  Oh yes, really.  I only wish we had warned the human couple, we assumed they were originally from around here and that they knew.

Glenn

Forgive me for adding this here but I noticed two things in Misty Meadow - Story 37 which I missed.

* Kid WildlifeStarts and KidMist

Having found them it made me wonder what other little gems are hiding and not in mod downloads like the Kid MagicPortal in this story

Perhaps when time and energy permits Kid could group these and any other similar items together and add them to the mods downloads.

And while I am on a wish wish list a mod to harvest stone and iron similar to the one included in CC would be greatly appreciated.

Item two on my wish list would be a V2 of wildlife starts but with less grass and more flowers - ie more flowers than the original, but less flowers than in the meadow gatherer.

Keep up the good work

Abandoned

Forgiven @Glennn but this is not place for wish list.  I am glad you found Wildlife Starts, it has a nice variety of starts, it will not be changed and no plan for another.  Earlier today I mentioned to Kid that I was thinking of posting a thread with the location of Wildlife Starts and many of the other small mods posted in my stories and elsewhere.  They will not be official downloads, most were made specifically for my stories, some have not been released, there were few if any comments.  Here the magic portal was a special request granted, it will not be an official download, it is part of the featured mod.  But there are quite a few little gems  :) and I will post a list soon.

A brief summery to refocus on story so far : The elven, hobbit, and human tornado survivors followed the Will o' the Wisps through the magic portal.  The hobbits settled in a mushroom grove raising pigs and planting a fairy garden.  The elves have settled farther from the river in the forest and are living in fantastic tree houses that were made as a surprise for me.  :) thanks @kid1293   The elves hunt, gather, and fish in a beautiful forest pond.  They are helped by fairies and wish they had told the human couple more about them.

Glenn

Thank you, it will be interesting to see what other little extra mods I have missed.

Abandoned

Chapter 5

The human couple built a very nice house in the clearing near the stockpile.  The house had a porch with a branch railing.  The fences they built around the farmyard matched perfectly.  Their son was 1 of the 6 infants born that 1st year.  She had been a teacher and because one of the hobbit children would reach school age soon, she set up a mini outdoor classroom just like Smallville's school that taught survival.  Her parents came from Smallville.  Her husband, Ludwrighton, waited for that first student while she was busy with the newborn and the sheep and farmyard.  She planted the potatoes and carrots that the hobbits thought would rot in the wetland soil of the mushroom grove.  She also planted some wild oats.  Ludwrighton found an anvil among the supplies on the main stockpile, he set up an anvil workplace next to the stockpile and would make tools as they were needed.  The couple also built a mini Smallville town hall like her parents described to her. 

The couple did a lot of work and they had no help.  A fairy appeared in the farmyard and Yaritanya spoke to it, she thanked the fairy for the supplies in the carts.  The fairy disappeared.  The next morning  Yaritanya woke up with her hair full of fairy locks, it took hours to untangle her hair.  In the days and weeks that followed, small items in the house were either missing or misplaced, baskets and bowls were tipped over, the garden tools outside were not where she left them.  We felt bad that we had not warned the couple about the fairies.  I suppose we were lucky that the fairies did not take back the carts of supplies we found when we arrived. 

It appeared that speaking to the fairy may not have been the only offence.  When asked about their farmyard fence, Yaritanya said she saw the fence on a path in the forest and asked Ludwrighton to build one.  Normann and I saw the fence in the forest too while we were looking for a tree stump to build a herb gatherer and healer, that's why we asked.  The fenced path led to a sacred stone.  The fairies were probably offended at having one of their fairy places invaded by humans.

We elves and the hobbits help the humans as much as we could.  We made sure there was enough firewood on the main stockpile and a variety of foods in the carts.

Abandoned

Chapter 6   

If the variety of food didn't improve our overall health hopefully the elven healing tree stump would.  Warmer clothes for winter might help too.  We built a frock maker tree where we could make linen clothes for the warmer months from flax gathered from the wild or our hedgerow.  We could make warm clothes for the winter months with leather provided by our elven hunter's or the hobbit pig farmers and the human's wool. We built a storage tree nearby.  We laid more wooden roads in our forest area and the hobbits laid more stone roads in the mushroom grove extending them into the human clearing as well.  Less time would be spend out in the cold in winter.  Spring was always welcomed when it arrived.  Everything was again in bloom and the hobbits discovered a fairy ring  in the mushroom grove.   Normann and I watch fairies dancing in the morning mist not far from our tree house.

Not only did spring arrive in year 3 but so did 13 adult fairies with 3 children.  They weren't survivors like us, they were already wearing fairy frocks.  The human couple was concerned, they were still being harassed.  We tried to reassure them that these were not the purebred tiny fairies that were here when we arrived, but these were a mixed group.  Fairies come in all sizes and have been know to marry elves, hobbits, humans, and even dwarves.  How do you tell which is which?   Fairy men, known as fairy knights, wear green but so do those that are leprechauns and elven rangers.  Female fairies are a little easier to recognize because like hobbits they are usually barefoot.  Where they live and what they choose to do will give us some clues.  Only time would tell how we all get along.

Abandoned

Chapter 7

We did not have long to wait for more information about the newly arrived fairy folk.  We welcomed them and they welcomed us to Shamrock Glen.  They had been here before, visiting the sacred stone, and they planned to return to settle here.  They left to visit other sacred fairy places and saw us in the distance.  The little fairies flew back to leave supplies for us and summoned the Will o' the Wisps to guide us to the portals.  The little winged fairies don't need the portals, they are spirits of the air and can fly, although why fly when you can ride.  They often hitch-hike on the backs of birds or dragonflies.  With fairy dust they can make other creatures fly as well.   The magic portals were no longer needed now that the fairy families had returned to settle, the portals disappeared.

As we thought, the arrivals were a mixed group of wood elf rangers and humans who married mixed breeds of fairies and leprechauns.  Most originally came from the north woods or Crystal Canyon areas. One group of them settled in our north woods near the sacred stone.  They found some large evergreen pines in which to make their homes.  One family built a nice house to match those elven Fairy Tale houses in Crystal Canyon.

Another family, part human, built a nice house near to and to match our human couples house.  By summer, they build a shed and planted a dust plant and a spring fairy garden with crops like the hobbit's in the mushroom grove.  Two workplace houses and a larger storage unit were built just before winter.  Two young singles carved out and moved into nearby mushroom houses.  They helped the hobbits cut firewood and they gathered wild foods for the humans.  It seemed as if we were all going to get along just fine.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

All did not go quite so well for our human couple that year.  Image their horror that summer when they awoke to find a changling with very big elf ears instead of the adorable newborn they put to bed the night before.  Yes, a fairy switched the babies.  Fairies like pretty things including babies and the results of their mixed marriages are often not very pretty, their babies might be born with very big hobbit feet, elf ears, or dwarf beards.  They will then switch their baby with one they think is pretty.  It's not that they don't love their child, they just like pretty things. They will immediately switch back the pretty baby if it is made know that the victims of the switch plans to destroy the changling.  The rumor spread and the babies were switch back and no questions were asked.  Normann and I felt very lucky when our 2nd daughter was born in autumn with normal elf ears.

Other than that year 3 went well.  The fairy folk in the evergreen pine forest harvested fairy dust in a small plot of 2 plants and a shed.  Two workers could produce fairy dust at the plot but only one could work at the dust plant workplace.  They would use the fairy dust on the summer fairy garden they planted with an apple tree, potatoes, peppers, squash, beans, cabbage,mushrooms, wild oats, and herbs.  The would collected wild honey from the tree stump in the garden.  The fairy dust made the garden cold weather tolerant and very productive year round.  They built a hunter hideout not far from the forest pond where they would fish.

By autumn things returned to normal in the human's clearing.  The fairy folk provided more food varieties and storage and a much needed extra stockpile.  Our human couple had no problem with sharing the clothes and tools they made with everyone or teaching children from all families in the outdoor classroom.  The students started their school day having fun helping the human couple find their misplaced garden tools. The school was full now, there were  5 student.  One child already missed getting an education, another school was needed.

Glenn

I love that fence - is it part of the new mod you are testing?

Abandoned

Yes, the fence is in Kid Fairy Garden, it actually was made to match the nice house porch railing which inspired the whole mod.  I loved it the minute Kid showed me the nice house, I though it looked elven and asked if he could make a fence to match the railing.  I love that fence too.  :)

Glenn

Yes, It's hard to imagine those gardens/ farming plots with one of the old fence mods - it would lose some of the magic

Abandoned

:) yes, I though of Kid Fairy Tale mod and magic when I saw that fence rail, magical. 

Chapter 9

The next child to reach school age was in our elven forest.  Since it would be a few years before another child would come of age, we built an outdoor classroom in our forest.  Little fairies soon appeared, they liked the children and the children liked them.  Our human couple understandably was not happy to see so many little fairies around.  Yaritanya wanted to know if we could make bread from the oats she grew or the wild oats that were gathered.  She was told that fairies did not like bread and she should carry some in her pocket and tuck some into her baby's blanket. 

We could use more grain or grain products but it was true that fairies disliked bread.  To them it was a symbol of homes and industries, they disliked mills and millers who they thought were trying to control the wind and nature. It's been rumored that angry fairies cause the twisting wind storms but no one can prove it.  No, we would not build a windmill.  Fairies do not like church bells either but even if we had one we would not use it.  No, we would not anger them, their little tricks were annoying but harmless. The fairies were helping most of us and it was their glen that they led us to when we need help.  The fairies were always busy sprinkling fairy dust on our gardens and planting wild flowers and flowering trees and shrubs to make the glen a beautiful place to live.  In a scenic little clearing they turned a cliff rock into a small waterfall that we could use as a well.  As soon as the area we choose for a town cemetery was walled in, a fairy appeared who began planting wild flowers before the snow began to fall.

One of the carts of supplies the fairies left for us was almost empty.  We moved it out front of the frock maker to save travel distance fetching textiles in winter.  The glen was a beautiful place to live even in winter.  The snow on our leafy evergreen and pine tree houses further north was just beautiful.

Abandoned

Chapter 10

The temperature rose quickly in early spring of year 5 and the snow soon melted but it rained often that spring.  Despite the lack of sunshine, the wild flowers in the glen and in the cemetery bloomed beautifully. There was however quite a bit of rain accumulating in the 2 remaining storage carts.  We built a workplace storage unit next to the main stockpile and would empty the carts and store them in the storage unit until needed elsewhere.  The main stockpile and others were again full, we placed several small stockpiles around the glen.

The fairies were busy that spring constructing a fence and path that led into the forest past the cemetery.  At the end of the path was a pretty little clearing with a stone wayshrine.  The shrine was lit by a Will o' the Wisp and the clearing and path were lit by dainty colorful fairy lights.  More lights appeared around the glen throughout the summer and fall. 

Year 6 was pretty much a repeat of the previous year, beginning with another cool rainy spring.  The rain continued off and on through the summer but it did not affect the crops.  Bees don't work in the rain or cold but the fairies and their fairy dust do.  The fairies must have realized how much fairy dust was now in storage, they stopped gathering fairy dust at the dust plants and plot.  One plant was more than enough for 2 fairy garden but there were 3 plants and 1 plot for only 3 gardens. 

Without having to spend time working the dust plants, the fairies had a bit more time to play tricks on the human couple and to install more fairy lights around the glen.  The lights looked very pretty in the snow and they cast a soft gentle light on the paths on dark winter nights.