News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Slap heard 'round the world....

Started by River, March 28, 2022, 05:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River

Sorry, but I'm on Will Smith's side. I have alopecia also. It's not funny and I knit beanies to wear because I am insecure. Kudos to Jada for dealing with hers maturely. For Chris to make fun of another person's disability like that, IN PUBLIC, and ON A NATIONAL TV SHOW, that's just crass and insensitive. Will saw how upset his wife was, and came to her defense. Chris deserved that smack. I personally would have used my fist. Oh, yes.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

Abandoned

??? What a disgrace.  I did not waste time watching show but saw it on the News I watched to hear about war and pandemic.  Both men were in the wrong and a disgrace, setting a bad example for their children and any child that may have been watching the show.  But then we have an ex-president who made fun of a disabled reporter in public (as seen on National News) while campaigning, and parents voted for him.  ???  What a disgrace.  How much more dignified if he and his wife had stood up and walked out.   :(  Let's make the world a better place for The Children

theonlywanderer

I lost any respect I had for Will Smith.  For one I had no idea about their open marriage crap because I don't pay attention to celebrity BS.   Apparently he is just fine letting other men bang his wife and his wife lets him bang other women, but somehow a little joke is over the top?  GMAFB!   If anything is setting a bad example for his kids is them both sleeping around with other people while married, not a silly joke when it is extremely common among celebrities to roast each other during these events.    I'm atheist so marriage isn't even about religion for me, it's just straight up odd that people would get married yet sleep around.   She's been vocal about her condition in the media trying to be some spokesperson for alopecia, so why not take that opportunity to help normalize the condition and simply take the joke in stride and show people that it shouldn't be shameful or embarrassing.   Instead, she blew that opportunity by getting mad.    Not sure how much dignity they can have when everyone knows they are swingers.    She should have been more embarrassed about that silly massive dress.

theonlywanderer

@River    Alopecia is not a disability, it's an autoimmune disease.   Chris Rock has also stated he didn't know she had the condition.   This was an opportunity for Jada to remain the spokesperson she was trying to be and she blew it.

River

Everybody seems to be focusing on the response from Will, as opposed to what I personally feel is the more important take-away from this whole situation: Chris Rock's insult-disguised-as-joke assholery. He still poked fun at someone who is bravely dealing with a disease that mars one's physical appearance.

But I guess I shouldn't be surprised. We as a species tend to focus on the actions, rather than the uncomfortable intentions.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

Abandoned

hmmm  Perhaps my reply #1 should be read more carefully.

River

I'm not talking about you, Abandoned. I referring to the general responses going around.

theonlywanderer

@River

You are ignoring the atmosphere these celebrities have created all by themselves that surrounds these special events.  They even have special events dedicated to roasting each other.   Celebrities are attention whores, plain and simple.   Everything is fair game with these people.  Shoot, Will Smith was even laughing at first, but at some point Jada must have gave him some kind of evil look and so I guess he felt embarrassed for laughing and decided to try and make up for it somehow and made a terrible choice.

angainor88

Regardless of whether or not you deem Will Smith's response to the insult to be appropriate or not, Chris Rock mocked a woman for her disease, and that's pretty shitty of him.

And also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with an open marriage. It's a personal decision that doesn't affect you in any way. 

theonlywanderer

@angainor88

Did I say it affected me?  Don't think I did.   It was merely a comparison of letting other men bang his wife, yet somehow a joke pushed him over the edge?   Spare me the nonsense.    Maybe Chris should have stuck to swingers joke...  "Hey you two, you rewarding any of the winners tonight?"