News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Can we rename .pkm files ?

Started by MarkAnthony, February 20, 2022, 07:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Good morning.

I was wondering if we could rename the individual .pkm files to our liking? Specifically I would like to know if renaming them we mess up the file? I don't know if what is inside the .pkm file references the original filename at all which would then cause it to crash or not work properly if I renamed it.

When I use ModMan I organize my mods by categories for example all the aging mods are together in one group; all the terrain mods in another; all the start mods in another and so on. Not all .pkms, even from the same modder are named alike.

So for example I would like to rename my aging mods to be something like: Aging-Norseman, Aging-Ironman, Aging-ProperTime and so on so that at a quick glance in ModMan I can see that I have all my mods sorted correctly to my liking.

Another example for renaming a .pkm would be like @kid1293 s mod TinyTrader or @RedKetchup s mod creamery - I would like to rename those .pkm files to Kid-TinyTrader and Red-Creamery, respectively.

Again I do not know if the files inside the actual .pkms ever reference the original .pkm filename given by the mod author.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

kid1293

There is only one sure way to find out. Do it! ;D

If I remember correctly - They will not work if you rename them.
The game is sensitive to names/wording/syntax in the code, so why not in the filename?

River

I've done it. It works fine for me.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

MarkAnthony

Kristahfer

I am not sure about renaming PKM files. I have a standard load-set containing a large number of mods. Colonial Charter J is used in that load. When I renamed that PKM file in my standard load, I noticed no CCJ items available, although I did not do an exhaustive search. Tried again with base Banished with only that file without being renamed and had no issues. Once I renamed that file to CCJ the application would load, present the starting conditions, and I picked only those conditions that would be available in Base Banished and the application crashed while attempting to generate the load. FIVE times.

I do not believe that renaming PKM files works. At least my testing of renaming both CCJ and RKCE does not perform well. Maybe smaller mods that I did not test renaming will work.

MarkAnthony

@Kristahfer Thanks for the heads up. I haven't tried myself just yet as I was saving that for a day off - reorganizing and renaming a lot of mods to my liking. I'll keep what you said in mind and not just rename things without double checking.