News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

WOB Site Problems

Started by Abandoned, April 05, 2022, 10:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@The Big Chihuahua, @RedKetchup, @banishedsanni   Is there any hope that the problems on this site will be fixed or that we will get a new site?

@The Big Chihuahua, Hope you are well.  Thank you for this site that we have enjoyed for so many years.  Would be a shame to lose great site and all the information on Banished that it contains.

Admin

The registration problem continues... I have not tried to install a new site and relink the database to that site yet but that may be the only way to fix these issues that have overtaken the site. Maybe migrating to a new provider and platform is the way forward. I'd rather not just shutdown but unless someone here has some php skills and can figure it out, we have few options left. The site is about 20 gigs of content currently.

noamchomsky

I'm having trouble connecting to the website.  Is it common?

QuoteDown for Everyone or Just Me
Short URL @ downfor.io

worldofbanished.com Status
Is worldofbanished.com down right now?
It's not just you! worldofbanished.com is down.

Abandoned

Thanks for reply @The Big Chihuahua

A new site or new provider may be the way to save database and site.  As of now the site is not very useable.  I am able to do very little without getting error message:

"This page isn't working right nowworldofbanished.com didn't send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE"

I then have no choice but to close Microsoft Edge page.  I am then not able to get back into site for a while. I have not been able to log out, I log in for the least time so login will expire. When I do get back into site I get the same message when trying to download or after sending personal message or following a link.  Site is pretty much a read only site now.   :(

River

I sure hope this gets fixed. Took me two hours of periodic refreshing just to download 4 mods!! sigh. I have my own download forum for my Sims 2 recolors, at freeforums.net and never had a problem. And my site is huge, with hundreds of downloads, forum, and easy to maintain. Check them out.
REMEMBER: In games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Banished, etc, there IS NO WRONG WAY TO PLAY!!

catty-cb

I was running a website (SimCity plus Banished) for a number of years and due to some health issues made the decision to shut the site down back in 2018, but as I didn't want to lose any of the contents apart from the forums which couldn't be transferred to another site, I had a talk with the Simtropolis staff about shifting the contents of my site over to their website I've even got my own little area over there with its own forum, downloads, and picture albums, etc .... and the beauty of it all the hosting, website and admin side of things is now managed by the Simtropolis staff.

https://community.simtropolis.com/clubs/26-city-builders-website/

EDIT: Simtropolis has been happy to host other websites that have been having issues, I've been responsible for trying to save the contents of the SC2000 and SC3000 websites

https://community.simtropolis.com/clubs/30-simcity-2000-resource-page/
https://community.simtropolis.com/clubs/36-simcity-3000-resource-page/

And when the SimPeg (PLEX), SimCity Brasil, SimCityPolska and the WorkingMan Production websites crashed and couldn't be recovered all their files were transferred to Simtropolis

https://community.simtropolis.com/files/

banishedsanni

Still willing to take over the forum and dive into the problem.

catty-cb

Quote from: banishedsanni on April 18, 2022, 02:15:18 AM
Still willing to take over the forum and dive into the problem.

I was a member of the SimPeg website which was using the same SMF software as WOB and when that site started having problems, no amount of tweaking was able to fix it and then one day .... bang that was it site dead in the water, which is when we found out the site backup was stuffed as well, luckily most of the files were already over at Simtropolis and the ones that weren't people had downloaded so it was possible to get them back that way

... so yes it would be great if you can sort out the problems WOB is having, but maybe having a backup of @Abandoned village blogs somewhere else would be great as well   :)

catty-cb

Quote from: The Big Chihuahua on April 05, 2022, 11:45:25 AM
....Maybe migrating to a new provider and platform is the way forward. I'd rather not just shutdown ...

I did a bit of a rummage on google to see if there was an alternative to starting again, Colonial Charter did that and lost pretty much everything in the move to the Blackliquid site, if you were to install MyBB on your current website MyBB has a program that you also have to install called "Merge Systems" and it will move your SMF forums into the MyBB forums

QuoteTo convert or merge a forum, you must have a version of MyBB 1.8 installed on your server, as well as a copy of the database of the forum to be merged on your server. You must also have the latest version of the merge system uploaded to your server as a subdirectory of your copy of MyBB

https://mybb.com/download/merge-system/

Not sure just how much of the site would get converted to MyBB, so you might have the forums, but be in the situation of having to reload the downloads area, speaking from experience that's not a major job as long as you have all the files, pictures and what the description is going to be for each download, its just a bit boring way of spending your evening .. I started uploading the SC3000 cities on Sunday into a club over at Simtropolis and so far have uploaded 81 files (10 cities per file) with their matching pictures, and have another 82 files to go

:)

Abandoned

Thanks for the information @catty-cb  It would be great if our WOB site could be saved.  There is so much good information, downloads, village images, and blogs.  Also good to know that @banishedsanni is still interested taking over and helping to solve problems.  It is still a good site even with its current problems.

Hopefully @The Big Chihuahua will see this thread. 

taniu

Me and my wife both agree with @Abandoned and we like WOB very much. It would be great if we could save her, there are many great mods, stories, cities and villages built on different maps by WOB members. We hope @The Big Chihuahua will see this thread and advise us on how to maintain WOB, we wholeheartedly ask for it. Regards

MarkAnthony

Here's a sample of pricing:

Host: = Hostinger .99 cents/yr for a .site domain, $9.99/yr for a .com domain
            Premium plan $2.99/mo for 100 gig SSD and unlimited bandwidth
            Business plan $4.99/mo for 200 gig SSD and unlimited bandwidth, daily backups, unlimited databases

And they will migrate the website for free.

This is just one of many options but pricing isn't very high.

I'll pitch in $5 to $10 a month to help if you go with a better plan or provider.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

katbarf

While I can't help with any coding I can donate some cash to the problem to help save our site. Looks like there's several offers on the table for solutions.