News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #2: Vegetarian Village

Started by solarscreen, June 27, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

Quote from: canis39 on July 06, 2014, 10:50:51 AM
Just planted about 87000 walnut trees. :)

[Throws arms up in surrender] No point in steering now.  ;D

RedKetchup

at some point you didnt noticed it but you bought eggs from merchants. the eggs : 0 cant appear if you never had any, at some point you got at least more than 0. they cant invent something they never heard of.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ivorymalinov

I present the town of Innis. A vegetarian village that's still a work in progress (although more of a nudist colony at present).

The town hall was sited between the curving river and the only trade dock for the map situated opposite.

The twin chapels of Innis surrounded by graveyards and the original settlement site can be seen at the top of the map.

The original settlement of Innis.

The first farming district of Innis.

The second farming district of Innis.

The third farming district of Innis.

Town hall inventory.

RedKetchup

rkelly17

The settlement of Steel at year 80. The first picture is the vital statistics. The next group of photos are the newer areas that I haven't posted shots of yet. The first two of that group are my two trading areas, North and South. At this point I am exporting only ale--cider really, since it is made from apples of which I have 20,000 in stock. I am importing logs, textiles, stone and iron. My tailors make all the coats and my blacksmiths make all the tools needed. At the moment the woodcutters are keeping up nicely with the demand for firewood--no active mines or quarries (though I do have one stopped quarry that makes a nice shield for a hospital). The next two shots are newer farming areas. You can spot the newest farms by the stone houses. The final shot is Town Hall Square looking East along Chestnut Boulevard. I think that this will be it for me with the vegetarian challenge. The best part of doing this challenge is that I think I've finally learned how to trade to keep a settlement healthy, happy and prosperous. My citizens are sort  of like the dry county in Tennessee where they distill Jack Daniels; they make a lot of booze, but they export the vast majority.

RedKetchup

looking very awesome @rkelly17 i like it :)
i laugh also a bit when i saw all your stones and irons waiting on stockpiles... i see you ve got the trading trick perfectly :) ( i also laugh at 'the booze' hehehe)

good work !

irrelevant

Quote from: canis39 on July 06, 2014, 10:50:51 AM
Strange, I have "eggs - 0" showing up in my town hall inventory list. I have never had chickens, and never knowingly traded for eggs. Not entirely sure how they showed up.
Quote from: RedKetchup on July 06, 2014, 11:59:38 AM
at some point you didnt noticed it but you bought eggs from merchants. the eggs : 0 cant appear if you never had any, at some point you got at least more than 0. they cant invent something they never heard of.
Not necessarily true. My Town Hall shows Peppers, Potatoes, and Cherry, all with zeroes. I definitely have never had any of these.

RedKetchup

potatoes comes from the free given food as you start the game. never bought food from merchants ? (peppers and cheerys?)

irrelevant

Ah! You're right about the potatoes. Definitely never had peppers nor cherries though. Food merchants have brought them though, maybe that's all it takes. But then I'd also show eggs, chicken, beef....?

RedKetchup

no, unless you bought these goods from them.

screenshots of my Lucky Seven vegetarian chalenge city.
i bought over 1 million food from merchants but i never bought any meat. you can verify

RedKetchup

My City candidate for this challenge is done. i really liked the experience. it made me forget the bad habit i ve got from the farmer challenge : place crops everywhere! lol

My city has been posted as a BLOG and you can see and follow all the progression of this fantastic city :) i covered all the map as i could.
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=233.0

i didnt got a 2k pop or + (only just under the 1700 pop), but i tried to make it more beautiful and more in symbiosis with the nature :)

i am also posting as Attachment the save file :)

Good Luck to everyone :)

slink

Here are screenshots of Boltona, a colony that was started in May for the "Not Exactly a Challenge" challenge.  I reproduce the posts covering the first 20 years, here.

Once upon a time, ten adults and ten children awoke on a river bank and wondered how they had arrived at this place.  There was a barn and a stockpile, and nothing else for miles and miles except trees, rocks, and outcroppings of iron.  And a river, of course.  Never forget there was a river.

When they awoke, it was Early Spring.  Birds were singing in the trees, and music was playing.  That was normal, of course, for colonies from the mother planet, but what was not normal was the four sacks bearing a note which said: "Eat meat or die, potato suckers."  One sack held chestnuts, the second held beans, and the other two held potatoes.  There was no livestock, nor fishing rods.  There wasn't even a diagram of a fishing rod!  Only tools for farming, and the other miscellaneous occupations of vegetarian living.  Somehow, they had been detected.

Immediately the group sprang into action.  The sack of beans, and one sack of potatoes, was used to plant fields.  A school was soon built, to educate the youngsters not to eat meat.  After the school was built, everyone looked around and noticed that the children were too young for school.  With some sheepishness, they then began to build houses.

After four houses were built, which was not quite enough for everyone, someone suggested they start gathering wood and edible produce.  By Summer they had begun a Forester's Lodge and a Gatherer's Hut in the valley to the north.  The first child in the new colony was born in Summer.  The birth was touch-and-go, but in the end a sound child was born.  Later, the first child who had arrived with them was old enough for schooling, and four of the colonists began cutting logs or collecting edible produce.

In the summer of the fifth year of their banishment, the little tribe of vegetarians was 34 strong.  They had 12 couples, one of which had the only student for the wife, and they once again had ten children.  They grew beans, lots of beans.  They grew some potatoes, too, and the chestnut trees were finally beginning to bear their tasty nuts.  They gathered mushrooms, onions, berries, and wild roots of some kind.  None of these seemed harmful.  Their health was not very good, but recently they had built an Herbalist's Hut.  They hoped the books were correct about the herbs.  They had also built a large cemetery just in case.  Their only source of aggravation was a berm to the north of the settlement.  It was too low for a tunnel and too high for a road, so they had to hike over it to the northern valley.

The chestnut orchard, and one of the bean fields.

The main town, with one large bean field and a smaller field of potatoes.

The berm between the northern valley and the main town.

The herbalist, located just south of the cemetery.

The view towards the river, from the western side of town.

After about seven years, the eldest five males met privately.  "We're getting too many children for our school" said one.  The second one replied with a grin "Not much else to do at night", as he hitched up the loincloth that his wife had woven for him from dried beanstalks.  "We'd better build another school, and some more houses" commented the third male.  "Braggart" said the fourth male to the fifth, who was wearing a well bucket tied over his groin instead of woven beanstalks.  The five males shuffled off in their birch bark sandals.

The five eldest females conferred, and one remembered a diagram she had seen before they were banished.  It involved marketplaces.  The five of them laid out the diagram several times before they got it right, but eventually they had a plan.  By year ten, the second school, a second woodcutter's yard, and some more houses and barns, as well as two marketplaces, were built.  They were getting old, but at last they had somewhere to shop.

Final screenshot shows only the households of those with females too old to bear young.  This is the first generation, and part or all of the second generation.  The first five houses of the second generation are the original ten children.  The other twelve houses contain still-breeding pairs.  No one has, as yet, died.

In the 11th year, the first old female died.  On her deathbed, she kept muttering "Never forget the river ... never forget the river ..."  This sorely puzzled everyone, but after she was dead and buried, they set a watcher on the riverside.  Day after day, the watcher watched fish and deer swimming under the water of the river.  But sure enough, one day a rowboat passed by.  It was burdened with many parcels.  As the colonist watched in amazement, the rower waved a hand and cried "Build it and we will come."  Build what, wondered the watcher.  But the sentence was duly reported to the elders, who gathered in meeting to decide just what should be built.  First they built a bridge, but that only got them to the other side of the river.  Then they built a Trading Post.

"What shall we trade?" was the first question.  Tallying all of their possessions required a larger enclosed area than they owned.  "We could build a special barn just for that purpose, and why not have someplace people can hang around the outside, right?"  They built it out of stone, and called it the Town Hall.  After much swearing and scratching marks on birch bark with sharp sticks, they decided to trade beans.  Oh, and those huge mushrooms that the gatherers kept finding.  "Got to be somebody wants those" was the general sentiment.  One thing they noticed was that they were short on firewood, so they built another forester's hut and another woodcutter's yard.

"And what shall we trade for?" was the second question.  Corn, it seemed, was on everyone's mind.  "Baked potatoes are fine, but we'd love some grain."  Everyone also wanted some wool, from which to make clothing to replace the woven beanstalks.  "These things itch", complained someone.  "We want some nice soft woolen underwear."

The following year, a rowboat laden with parcels pulled into their Trading Post, and they felt very good about it all the effort to which they had gone.  They didn't buy anything just then, but they ordered seed corn and wool.  While they waited, they replace the original school with a tailors shop, and built a new school on the far side of the second marketplace. 

Two years later, the seed corn and the wool arrived.  They changed the order then to wool, and stone, and iron.  The year afterward those things began to arrive.  Life was good, even though the elders were now dying off one at a time.  At least they were not buried on a beanstalk mat, as the first old female was.  No, they were buried in cloaks of fine woolen fabric, with grave offerings of green beans cooked with onions and roots, and corn cakes made with chopped chestnuts.

Life proceeded as usual in Boltona for the first 20 years.  People were born, had children, and died.  Everyone went to school, but some fathered children while they were still students.  No one ever gave birth while they were in school.  The population outgrew the pinwheel marketplace plan of the five original old women, and a new marketplace was built with another school, chapel, cemetery, tailor, blacksmith, and woodcutter.  A hospital was also built, although disease had never been seen yet in Boltona.

Here I attach a copy of the genealogy for the first 17 years.  I even entered it on Family Tree Maker.  Then I realized that I have a real-life family tree covering my family and the families of my various in-laws, which contains 10,000 names.  I stopped keeping records for Boltona and shelved it until this contest arrived.

slink

I continued to play Boltona until Year 51, when the population became stagnant and was probably headed downward.  There is little left to do except continue the growth across the river, and I have real-life projects to work on, so I am ending it here.  As you can see, the west side of the map is nearly completed.  The three pinwheels of farms have wells in the housing areas.  Protein is provided by chestnut groves.  Groves of peach trees were planted in the year 41, to supplement the berries gathered in the forest.  There are only two trading docks.  Mostly beans are traded, with some mushrooms and some firewood.  Firewood is not in abundant supply because many of the houses are wooden.  When Boltona had plenty of stone, they built stone houses.  Otherwise they built wooden houses.  Only wool is used for clothing, although leather is allowed in the contest.  I did not start the colony with the assumption that leather would be allowed in a vegetarian colony, so I continued it in the same fashion.

irrelevant

This is a beautiful town, and a wonderful story! Thanks slink, for making my night.  :D If I have a vote, you get mine for best looking and best in show. I really love your farms, and it amazes me what you were able to accomplish by year 11.

slink

Thank you, @irrelevant.  I located the text for the very beginning after you posted, so you might want to re-read the beginning of the first post.  I miss @Boris_amj.  I hope he returns some day, and if not, that he is living happily.