News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

A Sensitive Topic

Started by Oona, September 09, 2017, 09:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oona

I hesitate to bring this up, but I'm a bit confused. I'm running the Steam version of Banished. I used the button in the beginning menu to look at and install mods. I noticed many of them were copies of the same mods but I thought it was a glitch. I began having problems immediately after installing MegaMod so I looked around steam and went to the workshop where I saw comments saying that people had stolen credit for mods they didn't create, but posted as if they had. I don't like that. I don't want to give positive attention to these people or support them by using content they have posted. It seems the admins here are the people who created the mods here, so I assume this is the best place to get honest mods. I have never subscribed to mods for Banished from the Workshop, only from the game itself.

So do I just disable all mods in Banished and then delete them all from my WinData directory?
I have a game going already. If I switch from stolen copies of mods from the Workshop to honest copies from here, will it cause trouble with the game? (I like my game but I'd rather play with honest mods so if I have to lose that game it's okay.)
If I just move the .pkm files to my WinData folder will my Steam version of Banished recognize them or do I have to access them a special way?

This is such an unpleasant subject. I would be grateful for any help to rectify this and then move on to pleasant ones. I'm using mods from kid123 and RedKetchup and I am having so much fun with them! I am very much a Banished newbie, though.
Some days I'm amazing. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.

QueryEverything

Hi there @Oona , if you are talking only about the mods in MegaMod, then they are legit, the mods have been used with the creative blessing of the original creators if you are talking about other mods, could you please post the links?

Unfortunately, MegaMod is now outdated (due to unforeseen circumstances with the collaborators), and the most updated mods are here.  It is safe to run MegaMod, however it does need some tweaking to get it to run properly.  I do have a walkthru on the Dev page over at Black Liquid which I can fish out.  Here is a link of a list I did for another player, ignore any mod you don't use:  http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/file/72-megamod/&do=findComment&comment=467

I will say this - if the mods you are talking about are not from MM, or are not our modder aliases (Kid also uses another name on another site), then this is indeed serious, and Steam will take this seriously, please do post the links and let the modders follow this through.

Thank you so very much for bringing this up, even though these mods are free, piracy is a crime, and certainly so too is copyright infringement, noone likes their work stolen, and it should never, ever be done.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

Mods can only be recompiled if they have the source.

Lots of Mods have more entrees because they are translated and the translation is all they can do and legit as well.

I did a search for Mega mod on steam and only found one copy made by Black Liquid/kralyerg and that one is legit.

If in doubt by loading the MegaMod and you go to the Mod list it will show the name who created the Mod.

It should say either kralyerg or Black liquid.

There are indeed some stolen mods but they are from 2014 before Luke the developer put some safety measures in the Banished Code.
bunch of crybabies on steam and one of the reasons I not upload my mods in that shit hole.

Some are still pissed RedKetchup deleted some of his mods after being harassed by a bunch of idiots who thought his Warehouse was not working because the boat did not stop.
Those idiots just assume and have a hard time reading descriptions of Mods.

BTW, Made you some coverings Query so time to get the heck out that naughty corner before you start decomposing in there.  :P  :D

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Tom Sawyer

I upload and support my mods on Steam since April and I'm positive surprised. There are nice players around Banished and I did not noticed crybabies.^^ Not even any crying about debug, compatibility or hard conditions. I rather got comments about making things more realistic and less cheaty. Mods are also save from stealing since this fix. A mod can only be uploaded to Steam if it was compiled on the same computer (if you have the source). To publish a mod from another modder without Steam is way easier. These copies are probably very old and should be deleted. So I see no reason for players to remove steam mods but if you want to do it, then you need to unsubscribe on Steam and download the pkm files manually to put it in your windata directory of Banished. For the game it's the same. You just cannot get auto updates anymore. :)

embx61

Maybe the lot over there changed but I was reading some comments from 2014 when I was searching for the mega mod and found some stolen copies of some of Red's old Mods.

Because Red deleted his Mods quite a few think it is just okay that others upload his Mods.

Beside that I am probably also somewhat biased because I am not into steam.

Oona

Before anyone gets excited or worked up I should say that I'm newish to this and I could be saying things the wrong way because of inexperience. But I'm willing to learn.  :)

I saw 2 copies of a monastery for Banished on the Steam Workshop. In the comments for one, people were saying that RedKetchup, and not the person who posted it, was the creator. They asked that person to remove it. I saw others, like a dairy uploaded by 4uchmek, again by Isak25, and at least a third time by heike_marx, that people are saying was stolen from RedKetchup's medieval town mod. A fish farm has been uploaded over 20 times though several other uploads of it have been in different languages.

I should say that I had other mods installed before I installed MegaMod, but I disabled those from within the game before running MegaMod. What happened with MegaMod is that after installing it, the game froze when it tried to reload the menu. I closed the game and tried to start it again. It froze with a black screen before even showing the splash screen. I couldn't get to the menu screen to disable it. So I tried to remove the .pkm files from the WinData directory but I was locked out of Steamapps . I couldn't even access it with my admin account. That sounds like it would have been caused by something else, but this is a new computer and I use it pretty conservatively. I've only downloaded Steam and 2 or 3 games from my library, the GIMP, OpenOffice, a privacy web browser, an encrypted cloud storage client, Google Earth, and a library of religious texts. I doubt anything from what I've downloaded could have caused that problem.

Anyway, I was able to remove MegaMod's .pkm by booting into safe mode but I had to delete the whole Steamapps directory. Then even though it probably wasn't necessary I uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it, clean. (I had already gone through the usual steps of verifying my local Banished cache and yadda yadda yadda, long before this.) Now, I get a fatal access error when Steam (application-steam-x64.exe) tries to start Banished the first time. When I start steam again and run banished again, it starts. Other mods I'm running could be causing the trouble, but I had not a single problem before trying MegaMod. I don't blame MegaMod and I don't hate it. I just want to treat mod creators with respect (no ripped mods).

I've used a lot of Steam Workshop mods in Skyrim and wasn't aware of a lot of stealing in that community, but it could be that I wasn't looking for it and missed it.

embx61

You doing nothing wrong :)

The mega mod is a big mod and can take quite some time to load.
That is maybe the reason you see a black screen for a long time before showing the splash screen.

On some lower end computers it can take 10 minutes or more to load.

A trick to make loading faster is to ALT TAB out of the game when it starts loading. Then after 1 minute or so click on Banished again in the task bar and most probably it is loaded by then.

If not just repeat ALT TAB.

Almost all the mods in Mega Mod are here on WoB and a lot are newer then the versions found in MegaMod.

RedKetchup

hello!

about the megamod, the developper of this mod has entirely all my code source and he is fully allowed to include every mod/part of mods he wants. he has my entire cooperation.

about stolen copies on steam workshop. it happended before the developper of the game included a protection against stolen mods. back in the day, people stole my mods and uploaded them, i complained 100 times to steam authority and they never never did anything about it, they are totally unthrustable.
and about same time, someone complained to Blizzard Inc about some of my mods were using unauthorized textures of the world of warcraft game....

being extremly angry for all this, i pulled out all my mods everywhere but here.(steam... banishedinfo... + another one today that is been closed.....) and took long time before i re-upload something out of here.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

Quote from: embx61 on September 09, 2017, 10:50:33 PM
Mods can only be recompiled if they have the source.

-----
BTW, Made you some coverings Query so time to get the heck out that naughty corner before you start decomposing in there.  :P  :D

@embx61
1)  Thanks for the confirmation :)

2)  Nearly there, got the coverings, they look amazing, thanks so very much :D  Now I have a cover for my naughty corner :D
I did wonder what that smell was, but with a husband and a teenage boy, I figured it was them, not me .... I need to check for mushrooms to be sure ;)

@Oona I If you follow that link and all the steps for MegaMod, then when you reload the game and give it about 2-5 minutes it will load.  MM is huge, and it does take a while to load.  Even on my system I've timed it at 2 minutes.  When some people so (and they swear it helps, I've read that the memory allocates resources differently, which is why it can work) is Alt+Tab to another screen during the load.
I have Chrome running.  When I load Banished, I then Alt+tab to Chrome and catch up on my reading.  So either the load time goes faster because I'm not bored, or because the system has allocated resources differently, I don't know - it's just what I do. :D

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Oona

Thank you all for your reassurance that I didn't get involved with shady mods.

Hi, RedKetchup! You got accused of stealing WoW textures? Seriously? I'm laughing out loud at the thought!

WoW came out in 2004, and by 2011 a cheesy little browser game in Germany had stolen their textures. But after all those years, what's what a cheesy little browser game should look like.

But Banished came out in 2014. And someone reported you to Blizzard for (I'm laughing so much it's hard to type) stealing those those ancient, nasty, grainy textures? I would have been angry too, not just because I was accused of stealing, but stealing old, ugly, tatty textures when it's so easy to make, find or buy decent ones.

I'm still laughing...

QueryEverything, thank you for the link and the explanation. I am definitely going to follow the instructions you gave to Dora, probably sometime during the workweek. It sounds like the problems I was having are very common to people who don't know how to use MegaMod. What a relief that my problems were caused by simple inexperience.