News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant - Rickettsville, a vegetarian experiment

Started by irrelevant, June 30, 2014, 05:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplum68

beans seem to grow like crazy for me every time but both wheat and corn do pretty well themselves, i couldn't say which of those to is better although i'd say beans may be top dog as far as grains go

irrelevant

@rkelly17   Beans and corn are great, that's all I've been growing up until now, 50/50 mix. Reliable 90-100% harvests from both. It's just that I'm always looking for ways to get that last 10% ;)

The beans get to harvest so quickly that I'm always concerned about losing the corn which is still only half harvested. If wheat seems to be even a little bit quicker, I'll switch. If they are the same, why bother?

This morning seed merchants brought me wheat and squash seeds, and I bought both. I've replaced half of my bean fields with squash and half the corn with wheat. We'll see how that goes. I can survive a bad year if need be, for the sake of the experiment. I'll post results tonight.

tomplum68

I've had issues with squash.  it under performs compared to the pumpkins right next to it every year.  but my recent town i started on hard the first seeds i got were pumpkin and squash...two gourds...

irrelevant

@tomplum68  Yes, my impression of squash has been that it is slow to grow, but I have never had a farming setup as efficient as I have in this town. For me this will be more definitive than my earlier impressions which were based on a town with marginal storage arrangements.

slink

My impression is that wheat survives cold slightly better but takes slightly longer to grow.  I didn't make any numerical measurements, though.  It is purely an impression, probably biased by real life.

rkelly17

Knowing something about real life crops does get in the way in Banished. Cabbage should be a good cold weather performer. Both pumpkins and Winter squash survive frosts (the gourds, not the vines) and actually keep better if touched by frost. Field corn is usually not harvested before a frost or two. None of which is true in Banished. My relatives in Oklahoma grow Winter wheat (to supplement the oil crop  ;D )

If you play on anything but mild climate, remember that you can lose half of your bean crop (not to mention corn or wheat or ?) to a late Spring frost. Beans are great on mild climate but can fail on harsh.

RedKetchup

i think the worst are pumpkins and squash. i remember some map i ve tried to put all the crops equally over all seeds types and i always end up to take back 50% of pumpkins/squash crops back to other kind
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Well, this harvest sucked, 50,000 vs 62,000 last year. It was a more or less perfect growing season too, planting started at the crack of Early Spring, and there was no frost whatsoever before harvest was complete for all crops.

I don't have time to compile the results, but the raw data are here. You have mainly four columns of fields arranged by what this year's crop was. You can see this year vs last year for every field.

Squash sucks. Wheat is not as good as corn. Caveat here is that both may be better suited for harsh climates. Both sprouted late, wheat in particular grew quickly once it was up.

Switching back to beans and corn. Nachos!

irrelevant

Late Autumn 36 - 14 new Farms at Eastfields. I'll be planting all 14 come Spring 37.

This was a forest node in early spring. Wish I had a screen of it, but it was more or less like screen 2.

RedKetchup

yeah squash is very bad (along with pumpkins). so your crop were producing mainly 840 food ? for ... 8x15 crops ?

irrelevant

Moving on - for next year.

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 08, 2014, 07:28:27 PM
yeah squash is very bad (along with pumpkins). so your crop were producing mainly 840 food ? for ... 8x15 crops ?

Yes, 840 is what I expect to get on a 15x8 with two farmers.

This is going to be my standard farming setup going forward. I find the row of houses and barns, anchored on a market at one or both ends, with fields on both sides, works nicely.

RedKetchup

so 840 food divided by (8x15=120squares) = 7 !!!

7 food per square 1x1. again i m getting the same number :)

irrelevant

irrelevant

Screen 1 - And after I finish with that, next I'm going to turn this into farms.  ;)

Screen 2 - and then there's this; I haven't quite figured out yet what to do here. But I bet there'll be farms  ;D

irrelevant

Late Autumn 37 - this year's harvest +70,000. Good old beans and corn.

Pop is now 550. Graph is ridiculously steep. I fear I may be heading for a crash. We'll see.