News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Thought of one more "out of the box" thing to test.

Have you tried not to sell any mushrooms? Do they really overfill the barns?

My experience is, that they do at the beginning and mid of a game, but as the settlement grows the vendors manage to distribute them to the markets. The traders are also very busy running around finding 3 mushrooms here and 5 there. You need a lot of traders to sell mushrooms combined with ale. Because if the traders don't empty the brewery fast enough, the people will drink too much or the production will get down, because the ale isn't transported to the port fast enough.

irrelevant

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 14, 2018, 10:08:08 PM
oh ok
so what he takes first ? things with the highest value first ?
It's inconsistent. Often it seems to be the item with this highest total TV, but you can see in my first two examples, mushrooms and leather had the highest TV and were ignored

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on March 15, 2018, 04:10:12 AM
Thought of one more "out of the box" thing to test.

Have you tried not to sell any mushrooms? Do they really overfill the barns?

My experience is, that they do at the beginning and mid of a game, but as the settlement grows the vendors manage to distribute them to the markets. The traders are also very busy running around finding 3 mushrooms here and 5 there. You need a lot of traders to sell mushrooms combined with ale. Because if the traders don't empty the brewery fast enough, the people will drink too much or the production will get down, because the ale isn't transported to the port fast enough.
@Nilla, believe it or not, I have all kinds of problems with my barns filling up, to the point where it starts to interfere with farm harvesting. Probably the simplest solution would be to turn the gatherers off altogether, but I have experimented with that several times and it always results in my food inventory trending down. This wouldn't be such a big deal if not for the fact that I want to run unattended for many years at a time; trends in either direction are undesirable.

Tom Sawyer

As far as I know, it's completely random what the game picks from the inventory for auto trading.

Nilla

I certainly do believe that your barns are over full when the population is low. There's still more or less the same production independent on the population. And maybe it's not such a big problem if the production gets down these years. If your barns are full, you don't need more food, anyway.

I guess that this stored food is used in population highs later. Of cause, a barn full of mushrooms leave less space for other less spacial food. This is a + for selling mushrooms. But your problem is now to reduce your professionals. As i said; selling mushrooms and ale together bring other problems. I guess, that you can save traders, brewers and fruit farmers, if you don't sell any mushrooms. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the problems not to sell them will be bigger than the advantages. Sorry for being such a pain in the a**, but in your place, I would at least want to know for sure.  :-[ ;)

irrelevant

@Nilla the traders are working okay now, gathering and trading away mushrooms and leather. I have one TP dedicated to each, with 20 traders each. I can afford that.

I certainly didn't expect that cutting out wheat would have this dramatic effect on health! Noticed a couple of things. Diseases are hitting me more often now, 2-3 times/year, which is unusual. Also I have noticed many women dying in childbirth, but this could be just a fluke, or just cause I'm watching more closely. Or just possibly because that's what poor health does.

In any case, the pop curve has changed significantly from before I fired all the herbalists. The lack of hearts offends me, but the town seems to be functioning better. Fewer laborers than I'm used to,    bumped up purchases of logs slightly. ;)

Nilla

Sounds like a clever way to solve the problem. At least as long as you can spare the 2*20 traders. (maybe it could also work decent with less)

As far as I know, deceases do hit more often, if the health is bad. Childbirth deaths; I don't know, and also never heard, that it should depend on the health. I know, @Tom Sawyer has played with the deceases and made it even more likely, to get them with a poor health in some of his mods. Maybe he (or some other modder) knows about the childbirth deaths.

irrelevant

Year 3237

I'll knock on wood as I say it looks like the two-phase problem is just about gone. This really is the last thing standing between me and just letting it run forever.

I did two things that may have helped. One, I started growing moderate amounts of wheat. Now mostly have four hearts (still have the herbalists turned off), this seems to be better than five, certainly better than two, the multiple disease outbreaks/year were unnerving, just a matter of time until it's smallpox or plague.

Two, a couple of times I went through and one at a time closed down and then re-opened each school, through all thirty schools twice each time. I think I had a real problem with students who married, then moved far away from home and therefore had long student careers. This would have a demographic effect. As soon as I did this I stopped getting the extreme peak/valley combo; it's been more than 100 years since all my laborers died. Let's see if it sticks.

irrelevant

Year 3375

Running over 100 hours continuously since the last bit of management, and in that time the only click of intervention was about 60 years ago, near the bottom of the previous low. You can see the jump in the yellow curve.

I could see that the curve was headed to a bottom that would kill off all the laborers, so I took in a handy band of nomads.

The pop curve has been amazingly regular since then.

No longer getting 2 years/hour, lately it's been a bit less than 1.5/hour

irrelevant

Year 3524

149 more years, 97 more hours, zero stops, zero intervention.

250 hours and 285 years of continuous running.

irrelevant

Year 3535

I have to admit, @smurphys7 getting to year 5000 really took the wind out of my sails. My goal for some time has been to get to 5000, which I thought was a goal no one else was ever likely to reach. But I've recovered. Mostly.  ;)

My goal now is still 5000 (or maybe more, if my plan works), which would take forever, unless I can moderate the sine wave to the point where I no longer need to rebalance workers and laborers every 50 years or so. I'm going to try to flatten the wave to the point that I never lose all my laborers.

To do that, my plan is to shut down my extra houses, and to release them back into circulation in a very stingy way, so the pop curve climbs in a more shallow manner. I hope this will result in a flatter sine wave. We'll see.

Image 1 - I have started this program at the bottom of the wave. You can see that I have 783 houses and 600 families. I went through and closed down every house that was empty (not many of these) plus every house that had a single male. I could have selected every house with a single female just as easily. I figured this was a reasonable proxy for unnecessary houses.

Image 2 - And when I finished this, I had 615 houses. Good enough. Look at all the homeless guys.

Image 3 - By the time all the homeless folk had settled in, I was down to 611 homes and 594 families. This is my starting point. From here I'll run attended until all the houses are open again, but my plan is to let the number of families fall behind the number of houses. I expect the result to be a flatter pop curve.     

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on July 03, 2018, 07:45:07 PM
I expect the result to be a flatter pop curve.     

................forget it! ;) It will work for one, maybe two or at the most three waves and then be back to "normal" again.  :'(

But please prove me wrong! I'm happy to see you back here again @irrelevant and that you haven't given this game up. It's always a pleasure to see what you'll try as next. (But if it doesn't work, you can always go back to my old suggestion with the mushrooms and save a bunch of traders) ;)

irrelevant

@Nilla I knew that's what you would tell me.  :) But I have to try it, otherwise it will make me crazy. I've been thinking about it for months.

irrelevant

It didn't do a damned thing. Pop curve completely unchanged.  ::)

Nilla