News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

irrelevant: Gopher Prairie: extreme tenure, 10,000 years

Started by irrelevant, December 23, 2014, 06:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I kind of like that sine wave. But I've been thinking a little bit more about this "divorce phenomenon" in Banished. I don't think it is a bug. It must be made deliberately, for some purpose. What is, if the purpose is to make these population variations smaller? Because I think it might work that way. Think about the consequences , not short term, but, for a whole population circle. (Sorry, it's hard to explain my thoughts in English).

You have more homes than families -> couple split ->the population will not grow so fast as if all homes were available. After a short time there will be much more families then homes ->adult children cannot move out. They must wait until people die. If some couples are split up at the generation before, more houses will be available in phase of the game as free homes are desperately needed. -> More couples could have children-> the minimum will not be so low as at the circle before.

I think, if you don't force the couples together, the max and min of the sine graph could be a bit more flat.

irrelevant

@Nilla, that is an interesting idea, and we may soon see if this does have a dampening effect. Year 165, and my number of families has again fallen to near the number of houses. ;D

Actually, now that I'm looking at it, I'm not so sure; this cycle looks different from the previous cycles. The number of children has increased ahead of where it had previously with respect to the bottom of the curve. And you can see the curve is flattening out at a much higher level than in previous cycles.

Year 163 on the left, year 165 on the right. You can see the number of families has fallen by 100, but the pop has fallen only by 22. The difference is in the number of children (uh-oh). I fear another pop surge to new highs (although wouldn't it be nice if the curve was just flatter, as you suggest?) :)

Nilla

I am making an experiment (my CC-mod trading game is too booring). I let it run at 10x and look from time to time what happends. (Maybe I should make an extra blog about it.) I have some ideas what I want to test.

I have built 50 houses and now I'm just looking. The population has reached a maximum (about 200) and a minimum (about 90) and is now growing again. I have forced all separated couples together). Next time I will not. Than I will build a couple of schools and see if something changes.

The picture shows how it looks right now.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on February 22, 2015, 01:51:23 AM
I kind of like that sine wave. But I've been thinking a little bit more about this "divorce phenomenon" in Banished. I don't think it is a bug. It must be made deliberately, for some purpose. What is, if the purpose is to make these population variations smaller? Because I think it might work that way. Think about the consequences , not short term, but, for a whole population circle. (Sorry, it's hard to explain my thoughts in English).

You have more homes than families -> couple split ->the population will not grow so fast as if all homes were available. After a short time there will be much more families then homes ->adult children cannot move out. They must wait until people die. If some couples are split up at the generation before, more houses will be available in phase of the game as free homes are desperately needed. -> More couples could have children-> the minimum will not be so low as at the circle before.

I think, if you don't force the couples together, the max and min of the sine graph could be a bit more flat.

I think, though, that I have seen it reported that couples splitting into two houses does NOT interfere with reproduction. I'm not sure about that myself because I always try to prevent it from happening. I wish I could remember where I saw the post--it is one of those vague recollections one has as one gets older.

Nilla

Yes they still reproduce, when they are separated. They might even get more children, than if they lived together. If they split and two children live with the father, the mother could theoretically have four children still living at home (5 person in one house). But I didn't mean that, just that more houses would be available for the next generation, at a time as they are very much needed.

irrelevant

Jeez! I was wondering when I could stop building freaking wells. ;D

irrelevant

Year 170

Food reserve. Housing reserve.

Actually there are maybe 15 paused stone houses, with most of the const mats delivered. I just need to decide what #/children to aim at before I unpause them. I'm thinking 280-300.

irrelevant

I just really love farms. I wish I could get that CC farm texture/color without going for the whole mod.

irrelevant

Pretty good forest node production for 8 uneducated workers.

irrelevant

Year 173

Emergency Village Eleven. When you gotta build housing fast, you gotta build wooden houses.

Aiming at expanding out into the western and southern hinterland.

I'm sure I could just let it run and get to year 200 overnight, but I'm thinking longer-term here. I want to see how far I can push this uneducated town, both for pop and for longevity.

What is the longest-lived town anyone has ever seen?  ;)

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on February 24, 2015, 07:17:46 PM

I'm sure I could just let it run and get to year 200 overnight, but I'm thinking longer-term here. I want to see how far I can push this uneducated town, both for pop and for longevity.

What is the longest-lived town anyone has ever seen?  ;)

Like to see that. :)

I haven't seen so many old towns, >200 years, but my fast Doolin, 29 years old or something, had 4900 uneducated inhabitants, so there you will have some work ;). But of cause I played that one with mods and that's a lot easier.

irrelevant

Year 176

@Nilla 4900 uneducated! I don't think I'll be interested in touching that  :o But I can see pushing this town to 250 years.

If I can survive my current food shortage that is ;) I expanded into two new villages; I didn't really consider the way that uneducated breed like rabbits when you give them housing. So compounded with two bad harvests in the past five years, I now I have a food crisis.

Normally I like to grow all crops because I like the way it looks, but for now I have switched all my vegetable fields to beans and all of my grain fields to wheat, because I really need this next harvest to max out. :-X

Nilla

Not a boring game. I am glad you left that goal.  ;)

Good luck with the harvest. I am surprised that you, of all people, have a food shortage! But this shows again; if you expand, you have to be ahead with the food production. It's surprising how fast it goes from (over)safe 200 food for each person to a crisis.

irrelevant

Year 179

The wheat and beans trick seems to have helped some. I also put two farmers in each of my 15x4 orchards, those harvests improved as well.

Pop is shrinking, very slowly.

RedKetchup

so you kinda still only using corn and wheat ?

you dont use the little tweak mod i made for you ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .