News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

The weather

Started by kee, March 26, 2015, 01:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Actually, there was a kind of rolling defeat of the NAZIs.  May 5th in the Netherlands, earlier or later elsewhere.  Mr. Churchill proclaimed May 8th as VE day and kicked off a Commonwealth wide party.  The Americans did not participate as they were busy with the Pacific war, and had their bash on VJ day.

Hot to the point of sweltering today.  The sky has been grumbling, and there are severe thunderstorm watches on the weather network.  Currently 22 C outside, but it was warmer earlier.  It is now nearly 6 p.m. 

There are at least two birds nesting in the trees outside my window: one is a Robin for sure since he makes his territorial call at dusk;  The other one appears to be a Cardinal who has a pweet pweet, ..., peet call, with a slightly lower third note.  I've seen the Cardinals, they are here all winter and they nest very high up in the pine trees.  The Robins are Johnny-come-latelies, but I've heard their calls all my life.  I think the Robins are in the ornamental Crab-apple tree that is just coming into bloom.  All the trees are coming into leaf, and there is no doubt that Spring is in full swing.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

chillzz

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 09, 2015, 02:58:33 PM
Actually, there was a kind of rolling defeat of the NAZIs.  May 5th in the Netherlands, earlier or later elsewhere.  Mr. Churchill proclaimed May 8th as VE day and kicked off a Commonwealth wide party.  The Americans did not participate as they were busy with the Pacific war, and had their bash on VJ day.
Yes may 5th in the Netherlands, just commemorated the dead on may 4th and celebrated liberty on may 5th. That was the day Blaskowitz was ordered to start the capitulation negotiations with Foulkes, in Wageningen. (still may 4th in Canada), full military capitulation in Berlin, may 8th.
Several german generals surrendered on may 4th and 5th, but actual fights until may 20th in the Netherlands, with quite a few casualties.

We thank a lot to the Canadians, even though the Americans and Brits would say otherwise.
I actually should look up and visit the grave of one of my family members in mt. Pleasant cemetery St. John, NB, Canada.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

A Nonny Moose

As you probably know, Canada hosted the royal family of the Netherlands during the war.  A section of an Ottawa hospital was declared extra-territorial so that the heir to the throne could be born on Dutch soil.  There were news photos of the Queen of the Netherlands in an ordinary cloth coat with a bandana covering her head shopping in the markets of Montreal.  We did our best for the Netherlands and were prepared to host the British royals if it came to that.

One thing that I had forgotten is that the grave sites in the Netherlands have been ceded to us as Canadian territory.  It is no wonder that there is a special relationship between our two countries.

chillzz

yes princess Magriet (Marguerite) -3rd in line- was born in Ottawa hospital, the only one of 4 daughters to be born outside Palace Soestdijk. Dutch law doesn't require Dutch soil to be born on, so declaring it extra-territorial was not for the Dutch, but for Canada, else she would have been Canadian ;) Jus sanguinis (Right of Blood) vs Jus Soli (Right of Soil)

I believe there are 3 Canadian only war cemeteries (Holten Canadian War Cemetery, Bergen-op-Zoom Canadian War Cemetery and the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery) the others are marked as Commonwealth cemeteries. All cemeteries are taken care of by the Commonwealth War Graves commission.. a full list : http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_begraafplaatsen_met_oorlogsgraven_van_de_Commonwealth_War_Graves_Commission_in_Nederland

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 11, 2015, 05:36:39 AM
We did our best for the Netherlands and were prepared to host the British royals if it came to that.
Yes you did and most if not all of the Dutch are very grateful for that :)
Aren't British Royals your royals too, as noted in the constitution ?

And indeed a special bond between both countries, long before WWII and still lasting :D
from the first settlements, pioneering Canadian west, to Dutch Americans fleeing the 1812 war,
1800-1900's Canadian's east, to the WWII 'War Brides'  and the mass emigration right after the war till early 60's . :)

After living and working in Toronto for half a year back in 2001,
I too want to live the 'American Dream' without the violence in Canada one day, or at least travel it A Mari Usque Ad Mare.

rkelly17

Quote from: chillzz on May 11, 2015, 06:21:56 AM
Aren't British Royals your royals too, as noted in the constitution ?

Indeed. We don't see them much over here, but the Queen is all over our money, coins and $20 bill--now in plastic or Mylar or something that nobody much cares for. Like much of the Commonwealth, we have a Governor General for federal and lieutenant governors for provinces as stand-ins for the Queen. Instead of the House of Lords we have a "Senate" which is appointed by the Prime Minister and had been providing us with a series of juicy scandals and political jokes for the last year or so. If you want to join in the fun, Google Mike Duffy.

Quote from: chillzz on May 11, 2015, 06:21:56 AM
After living and working in Toronto for half a year back in 2001,
I too want to live the 'American Dream' without the violence in Canada one day, or at least travel it A Mari Usque Ad Mare.

We'd love to have you! My family moved here from California in the mid eighties (right after Reagan's re-election--we couldn't take it any more) and have never regretted the move one bit. Well, maybe a little when it's still snowing and cold in April.

A Nonny Moose

We finally got a consolidated Constitution Act in 1982, which replaced the Statute of Westminster and a bunch of other acts of both Westminster and Ottawa.  And yes, it is a constitutional monarchy with the Queen as head of state represented by the Governor General. 

The current circus over the Senate has been caused by the current PM mostly.  He wants to abolish the Senate and go with a unicameral federal government but many, yours truly included, don't think this is a good idea.  It would take an amendment to the constitution accompanied by the unanimous consent of the the provinces.  Of some interest is that the flap over the Senate expenses was mostly caused by members appointed by the current PM, who foolishly appointed some people from the fourth estate simply on the grounds of them being well known Conservatives.

IMHO the best reform for the Senate would be to completely remove the political aspect from it by changing the appointing authority from the Prime Minister to the Crown (Governor General), which essentially means royal assent to any such appointment.  This should shut out the current practice of appointing political cronies to the upper chamber rather than the statesmen that were originally envisaged for the "chamber of sober second thought".

At the moment, as in all large commonwealth countries, there is a small republican movement that is quite vocal, but usually when you challenge them on how they would replace the monarchy, they haven't really given the idea much thought.  We don't need to have another elected poltroon as head of state.  The idiots we get who live at 24 Sussex Drive and at Stornaway are enough, thanks.  The prisoner of Rideau Hall usually does a very good job, and is generally above all the political scrum.

Rideau Hall reports only to the prisoner of Buckingham Palace, and this is just fine with me.

chillzz

Ha! reading this, our countries are not much different at all.. The only difference being that the king resides in this country, which is part of the larger kingdom. He has not much say in it either, because eventually everything he does say and do falls under the accountability of the prime minister, the defacto head of state.

Imagine being the second country in the world, after the kingdom of Scotland to have a declaration of independence (from the Spanish throne) to become the Republic of the United Netherlands (United seven provinces), which lasted for 214 years. Copied by the Americans (some parts of the declaration of Independence are verbatim), first country to acknowledge the American republic, only to become a kingdom again in 1806, in 1815 and then again in 1839 :O
Somehow the Dutch already knew an elected monkey as prime minister isn't working well ;)

A Nonny Moose

The political weather in Canada right now could be called warm with local disturbances.  The atmospheric weather on the other hand is showing symptoms of climate change with heavy thunderstorm warnings yesterday with a tornado watch for this area.  Cold front went through overnight and it is currently 10 C, bright and sunny.

kee

A propos thunderstorms: The website http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime shows the location of lightning strikes in realtime.
Kim Erik

kee

Kim Erik

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

@kee
You look just the perfect person for a technical question!  ;D
I'm building the "honey farmhouse" ..
which fruit trees (vanilla and CC) have flowers suitable for bees ??  ???
you consider that I will also place the CC planters ..
the one on the corner ..

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

kee

I do not know if the trees have any kind of game mechanic that differentiates between their usability as nektar and pollen sources. I can give some real-life pointers though:
The bees should have access to nektar producing flowers as early as possible and stretch as late as possible. This means either a mix of plants in one yard or (more common) moving the cubes to somewhere with flowering plants.
In my garden the trees, herbs and bushes start to flower in roughly this succession: Maples, dandelions, cherries, plums, blackcurrant, pears, apples, redcurrant, lilac, strawberries, raspberries, roses, clovers, peas,georgines. Some keep flowering throughout the season, others have as short a period as a week.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

One of the disappointing graphics features is the lack of cherry blossoms in cherry orchards.  I suppose at the sim-rate the period of about a week real time would be too brief to show blossoms.

Anyway, for bee culture, it is a matter of whether you plan a static set up or a dynamic one where you move the hives to different locations dependent on the blossoming/pollination periods.  I generally let nature take its course and don't use the apiarist mods.

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on May 21, 2015, 03:10:57 AM
which fruit trees (vanilla and CC) have flowers suitable for bees ??  ???

We're just back from a tour of a fruit farm in Niagara on the Lake, ON, which is part of the Niagara Peninsula, Ontario's major stone fruit growing region, where the question of bees came up. According to the farmer, honey bees can get pollen and nectar from most any fruit blossoms. The question for fruit farmers is which fruit trees need insect pollination and which are self-pollinating. This particular farmer does not use the "migrant" honey bees that are so popular in North America (truck-loads of bee hives following the flowering season) but encourages bumble bees, which are actually better pollinators. He does have some local bee-keeping friends who bring their hives by for a visit in flowering season and we observed those in action.

As @kee mentions, in Banished it doesn't really matter except for aesthetic reasons. You can build an apiary in the middle of town and it will be as productive as one built in the middle of orchards or out in the forest. The neighbors don't even complain.