News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Where are the nomads?

Started by salamander, April 12, 2015, 07:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salamander

I know this has been discussed before, but after looking through other threads having to do with the requirements for getting nomads, I still seem to be having no luck.

I'm currently in year 30 -- A town hall was built in year 2 and a trading post in year 6.  After looking over past threads, it seems I might also need a vanilla market to get nomads, and one was footprinted (and paused) in an out-of-the-way spot in year 27.  I still haven't gotten any nomads, though.  I'll admit the amount of time between the market footprint and my current year hasn't been too long, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get any nomads.  Am I missing something, or am I just being too impatient?

salamander

Turns out my impatience may have gotten the best of me.  My OP was made in summer of year 30, and a group of nomads arrived at the town hall in early summer year 31.

There's still a question though: what are the minimum requirements for having nomads arrive?  In another thread, @RedKetchup showed that it only looks like a trading post and a market are the minimum requirements, but another view holds that a town hall is also required.  Has this question been resolved, and I've just missed the final conclusion?

Brugle

Quote from: salamander on April 12, 2015, 08:36:22 AM
There's still a question though: what are the minimum requirements for having nomads arrive?  In another thread, @RedKetchup showed that it only looks like a trading post and a market are the minimum requirements, but another view holds that a town hall is also required.  Has this question been resolved, and I've just missed the final conclusion?
Without a town hall, how will you accept nomads?

irrelevant

Yes, you need a town hall. Also, a bridge over the main river, in case they appear on the far side.

RedKetchup

from the file Townhall.rsc of the game you need :

ImmigrationDescription immigration
{
   ComponentDescription _nomad = "Template/Nomad.rsc";

int _requiredPopulation = 8;
   ComponentDescription _requiredStructures
   [
      "Template/Market.rsc"
      "Template/TradingPost.rsc"

so the townhall need to be built, and you need a footprint on the ground of a market and a trading post. and you need a minimum of 8 citizens as population. of course, you need to have nomad be able to get to your townhall, or they spawn , walk around of 3 months and return to edge of the map without noticing it.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

rkelly17

And of course all the mods affect this. Specialized markets and trading posts do not fill the requirements of Townhall.rsc; there are several mods which spawn nomads if certain criteria are filled, e.g., @slink's inn based on Matteo's which will spawn nomads with a completed and staffed hospital.

salamander

Thanks, all.  I've always assumed the town hall was the key building, and @RedKetchup's information adds the TP and market as prereqs.  I'd seen the same information in an older thread, but it wasn't clear whether the requirement was both or either.  Based on what I saw earlier today, it definitely seems like it's both that are required.

@irrelevant -- between my OP and when the nomads did eventually arrive, I was building a bridge to get to the only isolated part of the map.  It was a tiny little piece of land, but I figured that would be where the nomads would show up with my luck.  It was taking forever to build ... it was so far away in a map corner that builders might get a saw stroke or two in before they had to go back to town.

@rkelly17 -- that's what got me at first: I'd decided to use Slink's markets only, and overlooked that they don't count as a market for nomads.  I eventually remembered @irrelevant saying something in one of his blogs recently about using Slink's markets but having to footprint a vanilla market.  That's what got me poking around through old threads.

rkelly17

Quote from: salamander on April 12, 2015, 05:49:41 PM
@rkelly17 -- that's what got me at first: I'd decided to use Slink's markets only, and overlooked that they don't count as a market for nomads.  I eventually remembered @irrelevant saying something in one of his blogs recently about using Slink's markets but having to footprint a vanilla market.  That's what got me poking around through old threads.

Yes. I was using both @slink's markets and @JamieIdle2.0's specialized trading posts and saw nary a nomad. Only after @slink did a new version of Mathieuso's inn, which requires that a hospital be built (prevents not being prepared for an epidemic), could one attract nomads without the usual prerequisites. Someone (I forget who now) also did a new version of the boarding house. If you really, really want nomads you can build the usual prerequisites and get nomads at the city hall, the modded inn and get nomads at the inn, and the modded boarding house and get nomads there! Why anyone would do this is beyond me, but, hey, maybe you want disease, starvation and homelessness.  ;D

I have to admit, I do usually take the first groups of nomads (2-3 families) and then start rejecting.

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on April 14, 2015, 08:48:23 AMSomeone (I forget who now) also did a new version of the boarding house.

Here are my notes on this -

JamieIdle
* Townhall Only Nomads
This mod just removes the Market and Trade Post requirements for getting Nomads -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=589.0;attach=5740

* Boarding House Nomads
Nomads will now arrive at Boarding Houses. You need at least 100 citizens before getting Nomads. They will come every 1 to 2 years at each Boarding House you build. The only other required structure is a Hospital -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=670.0;attach=5905
~ Nice here: Even in late games you sometimes get small bands of Nomads... ~

Slink
* Mathieuso Houses Version 3
Uses the included Inn to attracts nomads, provided you have a Hospital.
No Town Hall, Market or Trading Post required -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=28
~ Unfortunately this one is all rolled into one with many different items... ~

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on April 14, 2015, 02:18:08 PM
* Boarding House Nomads
Nomads will now arrive at Boarding Houses. You need at least 100 citizens before getting Nomads. They will come every 1 to 2 years at each Boarding House you build. The only other required structure is a Hospital -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=670.0;attach=5905
~ Nice here: Even in late games you sometimes get small bands of Nomads... ~

This is the one I was thinking of. The ability to get small bands late is one of it's strong points. There are those times when a couple of families would fill a need but 200 would kill everybody. I also like requiring the hospital (as does @slink's version of the inn) because this protects one from forgetting to build the hospital, accepting nomads, and getting a massive epidemic. Don't ask how I know this can happen.  ;D

Quote from: Paeng on April 14, 2015, 02:18:08 PM
Slink
* Mathieuso Houses Version 3
Uses the included Inn to attracts nomads, provided you have a Hospital.
No Town Hall, Market or Trading Post required -
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=28
~ Unfortunately this one is all rolled into one with many different items... ~

I think the only other items in this are the "medium" stone houses. I use these a few times in each settlement for "the mayor's house" near the town hall and the "doctor's house" near the hospital. It's and aesthetic decision since, of course, Banished assigns jobs based on location and there's not really a "mayor."

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on April 18, 2015, 07:17:49 AMI think the only other items in this are the "medium" stone houses.

Maybe, I don't remember... but I do remember that I really disliked the other items that were included - even the "Inn" itself. To me, there was no reason to pack anything else into this mod - as a very specific Nomad mod is was perfect to be standalone, and a perfect enhancement for the vanilla Boarding House... ???

To me Slink's functionality (hospital only, with the cool adapted TownHall menu/dialog) would have been perfect - just based on the default BH instead of the Fountain stuff... oh, throw in that functionality of smaller Nomad bands even in late game - then it would be the perfect mod for my taste... :D

I settled for Boarding House Nomads as the next best - though it seems to be missing the reduced condition (Hospital only)...? At least I seem to be not getting any Nomads if I don't build TH, Market and TP... Not a big thing, just that in some games I' like that bit of more freedom when playing with Nomads...
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on April 18, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: rkelly17 on April 18, 2015, 07:17:49 AMI think the only other items in this are the "medium" stone houses.

Maybe, I don't remember... but I do remember that I really disliked the other items that were included - even the "Inn" itself. To me, there was no reason to pack anything else into this mod - as a very specific Nomad mod is was perfect to be standalone, and a perfect enhancement for the vanilla Boarding House... ???

To me Slink's functionality (hospital only, with the cool adapted TownHall menu/dialog) would have been perfect - just based on the default BH instead of the Fountain stuff... oh, throw in that functionality of smaller Nomad bands even in late game - then it would be the perfect mod for my taste... :D

I settled for Boarding House Nomads as the next best - though it seems to be missing the reduced condition (Hospital only)...? At least I seem to be not getting any Nomads if I don't build TH, Market and TP... Not a big thing, just that in some games I' like that bit of more freedom when playing with Nomads...

Sorry I've been missing in action for a few days. I'm not sure why I use the inn over the modified boarding house. It does have the problem of being darker than the original buildings, but I do like the idea of an inn on the main town square. When I do build the boarding house I try to make it look like a hotel. My tendency is to accept the first couple of bands of nomads and reject the rest. I hate epidemics.