News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Banished to the limit.

Started by assobanana76, April 16, 2015, 12:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

after seeing several blogs with populations in thousands .. I was wondering what is the limit of Banished?
Cities: Skyline for example has a limit to 1,000,000 persons?  :o
how far have you gone?
screenshots !!  ;D

P.S. I only play small maps and I don't think I ever drove over 100/200 ..  :-[
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

I prefere the smaller maps as well. The lags when you get a high population are not so bad on smaller maps. You can build a population with several 1000 people on a small map, if you want to. My biggest settlement on a small map was about 2500, on a medium 4800 with mods and 4200 without mods.

If you look at the blogs @Trizeropz just built a settlement with 7000 people. That's the highest I have seen. We will see if @irrelevant makes a try to beat that. In theory with a really good computer or/and good patience it might be possible to get a little bit more. With mods it might be possible to get 10 000 but I doubt that it works without.

assobanana76

mmmmhhhh ... 5000 maximum in a small map ...
I believe that with the technology to third floors of Red one can point to the highest peaks!
maybe there would be a problem of food resources ...
but it would still be a good challenge on a small map!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

I don´t think you could get 5000 on a small map, not even with the @RedKetchup 3-store- houses. You can maybe support 3000 but that would be the limit. (unless you use some real "bad" cheats for the support of the people).

A Nonny Moose

I am playing on Linux/wine and this is very, very slow even at 10x speed.  So the limit for me seems to be around 600 bannies.  At that point the game becomes so slow that it is no longer worth waiting around for things to happen and I usually scrub the village and start a new one.

And, yes, I am more patient than the average bear.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on April 16, 2015, 08:03:28 AM
I don´t think you could get 5000 on a small map, not even with the @RedKetchup 3-store- houses. You can maybe support 3000 but that would be the limit. (unless you use some real "bad" cheats for the support of the people).

I'm no expert here--I usually quit about 12-1400 because I get so frustrated at the sloooooow performance. I wonder, though, whether a trading fanatic could get over 3000 by purchasing food and raw materials and selling finished goods (ale, coats, tools, etc.). I remember in the early days some players were already building massive trading empires on small maps with lots of waterfront for TPs. Look up posts by @nmid and see what he did. That style isn't for me--I tend to go agricultural rather than industrial--but it seems to be one way to massive populations.

irrelevant

@rkelly17 There's a challenge currently under way on the Reddit Banished sub to create exactly this kind of town. You can produce food to get started, but you have to transition to 100% trade. High pop wins.

nmid

Hiya @rkelly17... it's very nice that you guys still remember me :)
I got a mail that my name mentioned a few days ago and I was planning on checking in... but ... anyway, here I am.

I have to dig out my old trading villages but I do seem to recall hitting 2000 pop, with about 60/65 trade ports planned out. Not sure how many were operational.
With the new mods, I wonder if my poor laptop will be able to handle the 5,000/10,000 citizens that I am hearing about!!

I have banished re-downloading in the background so I'm going to try a map again to get back in shape.
The main problem I forsee, is that I'll have to remap all my custom hotkeys on the steam version of banished.. (I had everything on a standalone version earlier :p).

Are there any new changes apart from Mod update to the game?
Any mod that I SHOULD have when I am starting up again?

edit - @irrelevant. Hi there! Another old timer, I recognize :).
Can you post the link of that challenge, please?

irrelevant

Nilla

I looked at my old screenshots, this is one very early attempt on a small map. I think it's even my first successful bigger settlement. At the beginning I called all my settlements names of places where I have lived and I grew up in Odensberg. There are a few (5 as it seems) fishing docks but that is the only food production. 2497 people on a small map. I remember that the settlement was very good sustainable.

kee

My usual rig starts to misbehave at pop. 600 appr, bouts of slo-mo become the norm.
Have now installed on a laptop and worked around the scrolling error (disabled touchpad, use external mouse), will be fun to see how much can happen on this one before it gives up.
Kim Erik

assobanana76

.. then it would seem feasible on a small map a large population, I have great confidence in the "advantage" that the three stories I could give in terms of living space!
my goal remains "agriculture" in the sense of producing all crops / orchards vanilla + CC: EA (although small in size) and then trade mainly firewood and objects (eg clothes, wax and any product that is worth more than 1, in exchange for food)
I hope that 3 TP suffice ..

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on April 18, 2015, 09:40:02 AM
I looked at my old screenshots, this is one very early attempt on a small map. I think it's even my first successful bigger settlement. At the beginning I called all my settlements names of places where I have lived and I grew up in Odensberg. There are a few (5 as it seems) fishing docks but that is the only food production. 2497 people on a small map. I remember that the settlement was very good sustainable.
with a rapid calculation we can say that, with the technology to third floors of Red, you could at least double this population by focusing, however, on the TP!

Nilla

I think you are wrong here @assobanana76. You cannot produce enough stuff to sell for such a large population. There is also limited space for trading ports. So unless you use some "cheating" mods, that increase the productivity/value of the merchandise, you could never make so much more. Maybe 25% at the most.

In any case, I have decided to make a try with @RedKetchup´s latest creation. First I wanted to make a "copy" of my closest real town, but I think I must practice a little bit first. I built a trading economy on a small mountain map just a short while ago. I will use the same map again and build the 3- store houses and the new commercial buildings, than we will see how it ends.

To make it a little bit more exciting, I will use the terms of the Reddit challenge @irrelevant showed below, just a little bit extra hard; I will see if it's possible to start an economy with 1 gatherer hut, 1 hunter hut, 1 forester hut. No other basic production sites. In the Reddit challenge there's only limit on food producers and you could also have a fisher. But I will try it this way. Maybe it will fail. I don't know.

I think I will make an extra blog about it.

assobanana76

considering myself a rookie as I am, I believed that by just exchanging goods worth more than 1 (no food. but eg wool 5x or firewood 4x etc.) in exchange for food, I could do it .. I'm wrong?

many beautiful and difficult challenges await you!
and I am very curious to see how they will end !!