News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

one thing I've always hated in Banished ...

Started by assobanana76, April 16, 2015, 02:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

is that if I order you to gather resources all leave their job to do so !!
and then what are the laborers ???
if you're a woodcutter occupied only chop wood !!!
if you're a blacksmith occuppied only to make tools !!
is absurd !!
only the laborers should care resource !!  >:(
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Gatherer

Yeah I know. Doesn't make sense. Many a time have my farmers only started to plant the fields in early summer because of this.

The game still needs lots of tweaking. It's a shame that the developer doesn't care anymore.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

assobanana76

Quote from: Gatherer on April 16, 2015, 03:44:37 AM
Yeah I know. Doesn't make sense. Many a time have my farmers only started to plant the fields in early summer because of this.

The game still needs lots of tweaking. It's a shame that the developer doesn't care anymore.
you do not know how many times comes the message of low reserves of this or that and I, without thinking, I select a collection area and ... go !!!
and you threw a year's work of all people !!
what is the point ??
then, what the function of the laborer ??
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Gatherer

Recently I got several warnings that reserve of food is low. And I check and see I have 60 000+. WTH?

And then my farmers were collecting stone on the other side of the map, IN SUMMER!!!

I don't think that being a labourer is a separate profession at all, like others are. It is just a pool from where to draw workers. There must be something hardcoded that takes priority over job assignments and then draws any adult citizen, regardless of their original profession, for work like collecting stone, iron,... However this is pure speculation on my part. Perhaps someone with more knowledge has the answer to this.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

assobanana76

and you think that, probably stupidly, I always keep a reserve of laborer !!
I wonder why ??

A Nonny Moose

I have learned to be very careful with resource collection.  One must not indict large swathes or the program gets derailed.

Annoyances:  The labour pool should be the only resource collectors except in winter;
                     Farmers should collect resources only in winter;
                     Jobs with work available must not be abandoned to collect resources.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Brugle

Quote from: Gatherer on April 16, 2015, 04:01:45 AM
Recently I got several warnings that reserve of food is low. And I check and see I have 60 000+. WTH?
Did you set the food resource limit to 999999?  If so, you'll get the warning whenever food drops below 50000.

I don't think that being a labourer is a separate profession at all, like others are. It is just a pool from where to draw workers. There must be something hardcoded that takes priority over job assignments and then draws any adult citizen, regardless of their original profession, for work like collecting stone, iron,... However this is pure speculation on my part.
Speculation on my part: older to-be-gathered resources have a higher "priority", and if they are old enough then workers may be withdrawn from their regular jobs to gather them.

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on April 16, 2015, 09:10:38 AM
Annoyances:  The labour pool should be the only resource collectors except in winter;
                     Farmers should collect resources only in winter;
                     Jobs with work available must not be abandoned to collect resources.
On forums for other games, I've read about problems caused by the AI's decisions in a given situation and wishing that the decisions would be different.  But the revised decisions would also cause problems (perhaps worse ones) in a different situation.

More speculation: Luke may have a reason for sometimes sending workers with other jobs to gather resources.

paralias

Quote from: Brugle on April 16, 2015, 11:39:09 AM
Did you set the food resource limit to 999999?  If so, you'll get the warning whenever food drops below 50000.

for food the warning is triggered when you reach 5% of the limit you put

A Nonny Moose

About warnings:  I generally grow my resource limits with the village and do not set excessive limits for the reason that you get too many warnings that are really unnecessary.  I originally tried the set it and forget it thing, but this turned out to be a false way to play.

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on April 16, 2015, 09:10:38 AMI have learned to be very careful with resource collection.

Indeed... In my opinion it's all a matter of timing...

Also - I don't really understand why many players shy away from maintaining a large labor force... I always maintain a huge labor force (plus a huge Vendor force), to do all the picking up stuff, collecting resources, shifting stock pile- and barn-content and so on... With such a force backing me up I never have problems with key personnel leaving their jobs to do some bizarre and totally unrelated work (sure, there is always the occasional dummy - but on the whole I got them to perform pretty well)... 

In Early Spring I hit all my fields with the priority tool and check that all are planting... Once they do I can set orders to collect (a little) stone or iron, shift (some) stock piles, build (a few) new houses etc... and just watch my Laborers, Vendors and Builders do their thing. Else, if it is a really big job (e.g. preparing a new hamlet, cleaning a site for crop fields and pastures, plus bringing in building materials etc.) I wait till autumn (after harvest) and then have my farmers and vendors and traders pile in as well... If I see they can't finish on time (before late winter), I cancel the jobs and let them all return to their 'routine' work... I (or rather: my Farmers) NEVER miss early spring planting. Worst case, some of them need until spring - usually my mistake for underestimating their travel time, plus the usual eating, see the herbalist, stock food at home stuff... Again, all a matter of timing.

Complaining about the "little idiots" is futile. We cannot change them. We just need to deal with all their little idiosyncrasies...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

Generally, I don't cancel jobs but I do suspend them by simply putting new buildings on "pause" as needed.  I don't make large resource collection jobs, but yes, I sometimes do cancel certain ones.

rkelly17

Once I have enough citizens to begin serious ale production I trade ale for stone and iron (Lately I've been using @JamieIdle2.0's specialized trading posts so a couple of TPs with orders can create huge surpluses if you don't watch them). That means that stone and iron levels almost never need to be supplemented by major gathering efforts and that keeps most everyone focused on their proper work. From that point I use laborers mostly to clear new building sites. And, like @Paeng, I'm not afraid to have large numbers of laborers ready in reserve.

Of course, when the settlement is still small I do have to have laborers harvesting stone and iron to keep a reserve of about 2-300 of each. This does require careful attention to when I give the order--sometimes I'm not paying close enough attention and I create a problem.  :'(

assobanana76

then it would seem that I underestimate the laborer ..
I have always kept one or two just to make up for the deaths of the other workers ..
maybe I should reassess ..
recommended a fair percentage of the total population of working?
5% enough?

as regards the vendor in my current city (small map) must necessarily play a key role when I would build 4 markets, plus at least 3 of each type of single stall, plus various elf's charts, plus all the shop of Red, and plus 3 TP!

Nilla

I try to have 10-15%. That works fine for me.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on April 20, 2015, 12:21:49 PM
I try to have 10-15%. That works fine for me.
ok! set on 10%!
more easy to count!  ;D