News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Multiple tree types in orchard

Started by chillzz, May 02, 2015, 05:20:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chillzz

I stumbled upon this by accident :
2 tree types in 1 orchard. I acquired a new fruit tree seed, so I changed the type of orchard, but forgot to cut down the trees first.
What happened was that older trees were cut down by the farmer and replaced by the new type.

This resulted in a mixed orchard, with produce of 2 different fruits.
I wonder if this is a bug, a feature or something that happens due to 'Better Fields'.

It is interesting to see how many types you can actually have in an orchard, by changing the planting regularly.
Especially handy if space is limited and you still want variety for your bannies.

one thing i did found out, that if an orchard gets a plague, you get the notice twice, one for each type of tree.
so cutting down all trees is necessary and make sure there isn't an orchard near with same types of trees.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

RedKetchup

it is nor a bug or a feature, thats how it works. the old trees stay till they die and all new plants are from the new seed :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

chillzz

i never noticed it before.. because usually i add a new orchard, or cut down trees due to plague and replace the trees.

Interesting. I always thought it would directly change the type, just like with tools, clothes, animals etc.

A Nonny Moose

Interesting, I'll have to give that a try.

One thing I've been doing with orchards is that, if I have a more decorative tree such as walnuts and have the personnel available, I make a strip orchard as a border if I have a short strip next to a building.  Does a nice beatification job.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

chillzz

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 02, 2015, 05:50:24 AM
Interesting, I'll have to give that a try.
I think (not tried yet) it would work well with one fruit and one nut tree for food variety.
after changing type of tree and planting, change back to the other type.. so you would have continuous output of both fruit and nut.

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 02, 2015, 05:50:24 AM
One thing I've been doing with orchards is that, if I have a more decorative tree such as walnuts and have the personnel available, I make a strip orchard as a border if I have a short strip next to a building.  Does a nice beatification job.
that indeed does look great. I usually use @RedKetchup decorative items mod for that.
You can 'build' any tree from the (vanilla) game without needing a farmer.

rkelly17

Quote from: chillzz on May 02, 2015, 05:56:50 AM
I think (not tried yet) it would work well with one fruit and one nut tree for food variety.
after changing type of tree and planting, change back to the other type.. so you would have continuous output of both fruit and nut.

. . . .

I usually use @RedKetchup decorative items mod for that.
You can 'build' any tree from the (vanilla) game without needing a farmer.

Using unmodded orchards I think that you would have to keep after this consistently, since every time a tree gets old and dies the farmer would replace it with whatever tree is specified currently. If you didn't keep switching back and forth eventually the orchard would be all of the second type. Modded orchards or tree behavior changes the picture. With "Eternal Trees" it would never change, since the trees don't die. With mods that lengthen tree life the process of change would be slower.

chillzz

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 02, 2015, 07:13:43 AM
Using unmodded orchards I think that you would have to keep after this consistently, since every time a tree gets old and dies the farmer would replace it with whatever tree is specified currently. If you didn't keep switching back and forth eventually the orchard would be all of the second type. Modded orchards or tree behavior changes the picture. With "Eternal Trees" it would never change, since the trees don't die. With mods that lengthen tree life the process of change would be slower.

yes, that's exactly what i thought too. changing every few years shouldn't be a problem.

Eternal Trees or longer tree life sounds nice too.. but those have to work on existing orchards (safe game), else it would not work of course.