News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Crash Site- Story 82

Started by Abandoned, June 30, 2022, 05:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 82nd story in the Smallville Series.  It tells the tale of travelers who came from out of this world.  They had to make a crash landing with their spaceship that was malfunctioning.  They were unable to repair the ship and were forced to settle in Banished World's Red Desert.  The heat generated by the spaceship to withstand the frigid temperatures of outer space caused severe heat and drought conditions in the areas surrounding the crash site as well as worldwide climate changes and food shortages.  The south suffered increased heat and drought, the central part of the world had increased rainfall, floods, and severe storms.  Those storms prevented the seasonal flow of warmer air from reaching the north which became colder and snowier. 

There are 2 maps used to tell this story.  The crash site is located in the southwestern corner of the World Map, the time is year 33 SVT.  The other map is Out of This World, the time is hundreds of light years earlier.

Map seed # 459621228      Red Desert,    Small,   Desert,   Disasters Off,    Hard 4 Families
Map seed # 224981761      Valley,       Small,    Fair,       Disasters Off,    Kid Out of This World

Combined Mods activated for these maps and load order are:

Map Changing and Starting Mods:   Banished UI Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, CC Light Rain, Kid Red Desert Start or Kid Out of This World Start

Tweak Mods:    Fishing Dock+25%, Hunting, Increased CC, 1:1 Alternative (Voeille), Tiny Smoke

Major or Must Have Mods:    An Empty Square, Nomads (Kid), override Uneducated, Storage Crates, Kid Abandoned Places SE, Kid Out of This World Houses, Out of This World Deco, Kid Workplace

Supporting Mods:    Kid Deco Farm Animals, Kid Deco People, Kid Farmyard, Kid Traveling Traders, Kid Washing Mod, Kid WorkShop

Mod note:  Kid's Out of This World mods have already been released.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4070.0 (houses)
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4071.0  (start)

This is the first story I am using them in. No new mods were used in this story.   The Red Desert cacti have been added to Kid Some Deco Trees mod which was not used in this story.  http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4210.0

Story note:  The storyteller and her abductor are not physically on either map.

Yes, weary traveler, I was abducted by an alien.  I was out for a walk on a hot summer night and was beamed up into a hover craft.  I was terrified at first but not for long.   I know you won't believe half of what I say, I didn't believe it either but I learned a lot, let me tell you. 

Abandoned

Chapter 1 

I was born and raised in a small village here in the red desert.  It had always been warm but suddenly the temperature became unbearably hot and dry, animals and crops were dying.   To make matters worse we had been seeing strange lights especially at night.  They were thought to be fairy lights and they generated a lot of superstitious fears.  Folks began leaving the village and heading northeast to the Mountain Mission where, hopefully, it was cooler.  My family was headed to Smallville.

I stayed behind thinking I would be marrying and going north with my new spouse.  However, he suddenly married and left with someone else.  I debated whether or not to follow after my family alone.  It was an exceptionally hot night and I couldn't sleep.  I went for a walk and was heading towards the river when I saw the strange lights in the distance, they were coming closer. 

Abandoned

Chapter 2

Those lights kept coming closer and then I could make out a strange flying object.  It was larger than a house.  Before I could even turn to run back to the village it was right above me. It hovered there for a moment and a small door on its underside opened and I was lifted right off the ground and drawn up into the strange craft.  I was abducted by an alien and there was no one to know I was even gone.  I had no hope of being rescued if I survived at all. 

I was strapped into the front seat of the craft next to my abductor, he then strapped himself in.  I was a little less afraid but not by much. I did not understand a word my abductor said.  He turned the hoverer around and headed towards the river.  It was a strange experience to be flying like a bird. He landed the craft on the ground on the other side of the river and drove it close to what I later learned was the Mother Ship.  It was huge.

He unstrapped himself and then me and motioned for me to follow him out of the hoverer and then to the entrance to the Mother Ship.  The entrance looked as if it had only recently been built.  There were other aliens inside the ship.  Like him they all had rather greenish skin and spoke the same strange language.  I soon realized he was the leader of the group.

Bluebird88

Wow, this is a really different one! Excited to see where you take this  :)

Kristahfer

Glenn

Memories - I'm showing my age now even though I was still in school when this was recorded. :)

Ground control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
Commencing countdown engines on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo&list=RDiYYRH4apXDo&index=2&ab_channel=DavidBowie

Abandoned

Yes, quite different, a lot of preplanning went into this one.  Getting it started was a bit difficult.  I hope it will be interesting.  :)

I must have missed that David Bowie space song  ;D  8)

Abandoned

Chapter 3

I was taken to a large room where there was a large table with what I later learned was a moveable scanner above it.  The scanner was connected to a large machine on a desk that had a large screen on the wall above it.  There was a glass window on the opposite wall and in the room behind were lines of chairs and small tables almost like a classroom.  The aliens filed into that room and sat down.  I was strapped to the table and the scanner moved back and forth above me from head to foot.  Pictures appeared on the screen, it looked like me without my skin, some pictures showed only bones. 

The scanner stopped over my head and the picture on the screen changed to rolling lists of numbers and letters and strange alien symbols.  After a considerable length of time, the display ended and my abductor spoke to me in my own language as he unstrapped me and helped me from the table.  He said the computer scanned my brain and found me to be of sound mind. He and the others have now learned my language.  The computer also found me to be a female of my species, physically strong and in good health.   

My abductor told me he knew I had a lot of questions but first we needed to rest, it was late.  He took me to a rather stark room which was connected to his.  I had nothing to fear, I would not be harmed.  He was right next door if I need anything.  Tomorrow we would talk and he would take me to my deserted village to gather whatever things I wanted or needed.  He would also show me the small settlement they had established on this side of the river.

Abandoned

Chapter 4

I was surprised by my captor's appearance the next morning.  He and the others had transformed themselves to look more like me so as to be less alien to me.  He tried to explain how it was done but I did not understand.  It guessed it was some kind of Elf magic.  He said it was science not magic.  I think he was some kind of rocket scientist but not like the Dwarves who know a lot about rocks.  There was a lot I did not understand.

Over breakfast of boar meat, potatoes, and cactus fruits he told me how they came to be here and where they came from.  They did not come from this world but from another world many light years away.  I guess that just meant very far away.  He said it was a beautiful planet with lush colorful vegetation, fertile soil, fresh clean oxygen and H2O.  That is what they call air and water there.  The fishing was good and plentiful, and there were many herds of oinkers that are very much like our wild boar. There was a stable climate with four seasons.  It was warm and sunny in summer and cold and snowy in winter. 

They had beautiful homes, each with its own power cell to keep it cool in summer and warm in winter.  They had productive gardens and farmyards, and a small park.  They had a tool implementer and a clothes fabricator.  There was a command center, a learning pod, and a retreat.  A rejuvenator was built nearby and there was an herbalist.  Life was good. 

Abandoned

Chapter 5

Life was good until the people became careless and were destroying the vegetation, polluting the soil, the air, and the water.  They killed off most of the fish and oinkers and spent less time tending the farmyards.  They were destroying everything they and their children needed to stay alive and healthy.  They were becoming inconsiderate of others, were not obeying even the simplest laws that keep everyone safe, and they were not setting a good example for the children.  It was decided that an expedition would be sent out to search for intelligent life on other planets.  He was in charge of the expedition. 

A large Mother Ship was built and stocked with food and other supplies that would last for many light years.  Many families from his colony and surrounding ones volunteered to be part of the expedition.

They had been traveling for some time when a magnetically charged meteor came too close and caused their heating and cooling system to malfunction, they were overheating and were forced to bring the ship down.  The ship's energy was cut to half-power while they tried to repair the ship.  They were unable to reach Mission Control back on their home planet.  They did not know if it still existed.  After many months they had to admit that the ship was beyond repair and they would have to settle here.  He took out the hoverer to scout the area and was amazed to discovered life forms on this desolate planet.  He saw my village and he saw the people leaving.  He saw I had been left behind and thought we could help each other.  We would return to my village to get my things after breakfast, and he would show me what they had already been built here.

Abandoned

Chapter 6

We made a quick trip with the Rover to my village and back.  The day was very hot.  My abductor was glad to hear that the whole world was not red desert.  He was sorry to hear that it was apparently the heat given off by the Mother Ship that had killed off the trees in the area. The dead trees and dry soil were at least usable by the mud works they built to make the wood alloy needed to build with.  Once they built a climate-controlled complex, the Mother Ship's power could be further reduced, and the heating effect would also be reduced.

There were survival pods build near the mud works to provide housing for the 4 families who volunteered to set up the basics and start alloy production.  Their pods were climate-controlled by small power cells so were cool and comfortable.  The workers took breaks often.  He introduced me to the families, and I was surprised they had names similar to my people's names.  Once they had learned my language and alphabet system, they worked out a code to change their names from their unit numbers to names I would recognize.  He did not change his name, he was Unit K12D93, I could just call him KD for short.  He just called me Earthling.

;D (sorry @kid1293, I seemed to once again have paired you up with the main character.)  ;D

There was a workplace tailor set up next to one of the pods, and a workplace anvil across from the stockpile. Tools and clothing were in short supply.  Since the Mother Ship's heating and cooling system was malfunctioning, the supply rooms were not being opened.  When the power to the main part of the ship is reduced, full power can be restored to the storage units, and they will then be accessible.  A small storage pod with a power cell was built next to the stockpile.  Branches were gathered and firewood was being cut to fuel the power cells.  It all sounded quite complicated to me.

kid1293

Abandoned

Abandoned

Chapter 7

Before returning to the Mother Ship, he showed me where their foresters were planting the tree seeds they managed to find among the rocks near the dead trees.  It was hoped that the trees would grow and flourish and that the shade of the trees would encourage wild foods and herbs to sprout.   A hunter was at work in that area hunting the wild boar.  The boar meat, the cactus fruit being gathered, and the fish that were caught from the angling pod, along with the potatoes from the Mother Ship's kitchen, were providing sufficient food for the time being.

When we returned to the Mother Ship he had a lot of questions.  He wanted to know all I could tell him about the crops that my village grew, we found some seeds.  He said the foods sounded similar to ones grown back on his planet, there were seeds in the ship's storage area.  Everything I was able to tell him about my world was entered into a data base on that machine he called a computer.  It was a fascinating machine and he showed me that it was not only capable of storing and analyzing important information but it also provided fun and entertainment.  There were games and we stayed up late into the night playing.

Abandoned

Chapter 8

We had a lot more to talk about the next day.  First of all he wanted me to know that I was not a prisoner.  He would not hold me against my will if I wanted to rejoin my family.  He would take me to find them.  The hoverer could travel without being seen.  He trusted me to keep them and this crash site a secret.  If I decided to stay, we would move into the new command center that was being built.  To tell the truth, I had almost forgotten I had been abducted.  Everything was new and interesting and there was so much yet that I wanted to know.  Sometime in the future I would want to see my family again, but for the time being I was happy to stay where I was. 

The new command center was built a short way from the Mother Ship and the hoverer.  We often took a ride up to the surrounding hilltops to see the sunset.  The lower level of the command center contained settlement statistics and inventory and production records, all on a computer that was accessible to the citizens.  We moved into the spacious living area upstairs but we often came downstairs in the evening to play on the computer.  The first climate-controlled corridors were built that would connect all the buildings of the complex.

Another couple came out of the Mother Ship in spring of year 2.  They built a small house for 3 at the edge of the newly planted forest.  We had a light rain in spring and again in early summer so the trees were doing quite well.  The first herb had sprouted so an herb therapist set up her workstation there.  Our overall health was a bit low.

A learning pod was built along what would be the main corridor.  It would be accessible to those living inside and outside of the complex.  The learning pod was not completed in time for the twins from one of the survival pods to begin getting a formal education.  They could learn from the computers at their own pace.  It would be a year or 2 before any of the other children would be old enough to attend classes so no teacher was assigned to the learning pod at that time.