News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RedKetchup work in progress....

Started by RedKetchup, March 01, 2017, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

2 things @brads3 :

1 - when you have livestock alive in the pasture they can only give one thing: eggs from chickens, wool from sheep, milk from cows. only 1 thing can be given per animal type.
you cannot ask to drop milk + fertilizer from cattles ; wool + fertilizer from sheep; eggs + fertilizer from chickens... only 1 , the one at the top of the list only (if you try to put more than 1 thing in the list).

2- when they are slaughtered, they can give 2-3 items (maybe more i dont know) leather+beef+other thing for the cattles/cow; mutton+other things when a sheep is slaughtered; chicken meat +other things like feathers when a chicken has been slaughtered.

2a - i dont think it the good place to get fertilizers when you slaughter an animal. i think you should get it when they are alive, for at least, that kind of fertilizer. before lately, i never heard about bonemeal... i saw the name sometimes from CC.... but never know what it was supposed to be. and compost only exist since some years depending which municipality you live ^^ (here 2-3 years lol)
so, i know i can have a narrow mind... but for many decade, bah since i am born, we know here the best fertilizers the most common and the best productive one we can find... are the "horse dung"
i know , i live in canada ^^

i would have live through it if i could have cattle drop fertilizer while they were alive ^^
crazy canadians  ;D
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

elemental

Quote from: brads3 on March 05, 2017, 12:34:42 AM
am i losing it or just tired? don't chickens give us eggs,chicken,and feathers? that is 3 items. and cows can give leather,beef,and milk?

Pretty sure you only get eggs while the chickens are alive and feathers plus meat when they die. For sheep it's wool when alive and meat/bonemeal when they die. EDIT: Red answered this when I was typing.

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 04, 2017, 05:19:05 PM

i was wondering if i do instead .....

new crop just to get hays...
and we use hays to feed a stable of horses...
and the stable will need hays and make fertilizer as return...
and the greenhouse will use fertilizer along with water to get seedlings...
and the greenhouse will use seedlings and more water and give food ??

Firstly I love that stable. And I see horses.  ;)

Secondly: fertiliser... a great idea but a better name would be manure. Fertiliser makes it sound like an artificial chemical used in modern agriculture. Dried manure was also used as a fuel for fires. That sounds a bit unpleasant (smelly), but there was plenty of it about.

Your production chain is an interesting idea but it is very long and complicated. All just to grow some food. You could cut it down a bit and keep the best bits.

Stable produces manure (no inputs, just work).
Greenhouse takes manure and water and makes food. No seedlings needed. Seedlings don't make sense with mushrooms anyway, if you are going to add mushrooms.

But hay field and hay crop plus a stable plus a water tower plus a greenhouse, that's a lot of space and workers. Plus you need to have the hay crop seeds to grow the hay in the first place. It certainly adds realism but it would be much easier to just grow food in that hay field to begin with. The greenhouse isn't huge so it shouldn't be producing massive amounts of food. It is a very attractive building and I would definitely build it even if it did nothing. Having it as a small source of fruit and veg all year round is a bonus. Just my thoughts.

Did I mention that I love that stable?  :)

Paeng

Cool, I really love the greenhouse and the stable... I'd also love some haystacks that are tall, I mean really tall (attached)  ;)

Personally I do not fear long or complicated chains - they provide a nice sense of mid-game "achievements" (stuff you can not build right off the start)... but that's just me again...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

I would like the idea of hey stacks, too. Nice addition.

I have another idea for using manure; a bit shorter than your long chain: Would it be possible to build a field/orchard, slightly more efficient, than a vanilla field, using manure as "building" material?

But your suggestion would be good, too. I like the thought of making the very nice looking new greenhouse more useful, than just producing seedlings for export (or a few decoration items)

elemental

Quote from: Paeng on March 05, 2017, 02:47:57 AM

Personally I do not fear long or complicated chains - they provide a nice sense of mid-game "achievements" (stuff you can not build right off the start)... but that's just me again...  :)

Long chains for mid game are fine. I'm just a bit worried that with so much going into this chain - all just to make food - that the greenhouse is going to be making huge amounts of food just so that it;s worth the effort. It's not a huge structure. Realistically, how much is too much production for something this size?

The Victorians did build very large greenhouses but this isn't one of them. They weren't used to feed the local peasants, they were built by nobles just so they could show off by growing oranges and palm trees. They cost a fortune to run because they used lots of firewood or coal to heat them.

calli74

In regards to the green house making seeds, I was just thinking, is it possible to have the green house produce something to the value of one of the lowest value seeds from the trader (2500) but make it take a long time to produce one so it's not overpowered, that way we could trade that item to the trader for a seed so it would almost be like the green house makes the seeds. It could maybe be a "registration" document as if, we made a new breed and we are registering it in the mail as something we bred in our greenhouse, and then we could use the seed in our town from then on. Or maybe it could make a random item from 3, each one having a different value so we could trade one item for an expensive seed (gold registration), (silver regristration) a cheaper seed (bronze registration) lowest value.

RedKetchup

Quote from: elemental on March 05, 2017, 01:51:32 AM
Secondly: fertiliser... a great idea but a better name would be manure. Fertiliser makes it sound like an artificial chemical used in modern agriculture. Dried manure was also used as a fuel for fires. That sounds a bit unpleasant (smelly), but there was plenty of it about.

Your production chain is an interesting idea but it is very long and complicated. All just to grow some food. You could cut it down a bit and keep the best bits.

Stable produces manure (no inputs, just work).
Greenhouse takes manure and water and makes food. No seedlings needed. Seedlings don't make sense with mushrooms anyway, if you are going to add mushrooms.

But hay field and hay crop plus a stable plus a water tower plus a greenhouse, that's a lot of space and workers. Plus you need to have the hay crop seeds to grow the hay in the first place. It certainly adds realism but it would be much easier to just grow food in that hay field to begin with. The greenhouse isn't huge so it shouldn't be producing massive amounts of food. It is a very attractive building and I would definitely build it even if it did nothing. Having it as a small source of fruit and veg all year round is a bonus. Just my thoughts.

Did I mention that I love that stable?  :)

i guess i can delete the seedling thing and go directly to fertilizer+water = food.
i guess also i should make the greenhouse bigger, you are right it is too small. and yeah it will give food all year. i cannot play with the numbers, it is defined in each vegetable templates.... but i will play with work time required to control the annual production.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Paeng on March 05, 2017, 02:47:57 AM
Cool, I really love the greenhouse and the stable... I'd also love some haystacks that are tall, I mean really tall (attached)  ;)

Quote from: Nilla on March 05, 2017, 03:20:08 AM
I would like the idea of hey stacks, too. Nice addition.

I have another idea for using manure; a bit shorter than your long chain: Would it be possible to build a field/orchard, slightly more efficient, than a vanilla field, using manure as "building" material?

But your suggestion would be good, too. I like the thought of making the very nice looking new greenhouse more useful, than just producing seedlings for export (or a few decoration items)

yeah it needs hay stacks.

crops and orchard doesnt need a building material to build them. not sure if we can add to it, and 2: not sure if we can make it more efficient, the numbers arent controlled by the crop/orchard but by the vegetable/fruits templates.

RedKetchup

Quote from: elemental on March 05, 2017, 01:40:26 PM

Long chains for mid game are fine. I'm just a bit worried that with so much going into this chain - all just to make food - that the greenhouse is going to be making huge amounts of food just so that it;s worth the effort. It's not a huge structure. Realistically, how much is too much production for something this size?

yeah i will make them a bit bigger

RedKetchup

Quote from: calli74 on March 05, 2017, 04:21:12 PM
In regards to the green house making seeds, I was just thinking, is it possible to have the green house produce something to the value of one of the lowest value seeds from the trader (2500) but make it take a long time to produce one so it's not overpowered, that way we could trade that item to the trader for a seed so it would almost be like the green house makes the seeds. It could maybe be a "registration" document as if, we made a new breed and we are registering it in the mail as something we bred in our greenhouse, and then we could use the seed in our town from then on. Or maybe it could make a random item from 3, each one having a different value so we could trade one item for an expensive seed (gold registration), (silver regristration) a cheaper seed (bronze registration) lowest value.

the working unit inside a building is a stable number that cant be changed dependantly what you are crafting. it is the same amount of units for everything.
you cant ask 5 working unit for a cabbage and 5000 working unit for a certificate.

elemental

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 05, 2017, 04:43:26 PM

i guess i can delete the seedling thing and go directly to fertilizer+water = food.
i guess also i should make the greenhouse bigger, you are right it is too small. and yeah it will give food all year. i cannot play with the numbers, it is defined in each vegetable templates.... but i will play with work time required to control the annual production.

I don't think it's too small. It's a good size for small crops. Things like herbs, mushrooms, and small crops of fruit and veg. You could easily grow a lot of mushrooms in that small greenhouse. But carrots or beans or blueberries... probably not so many. Please keep the small version, even if it doesn't make very much food.  :)

If you also want to make a bigger greenhouse please consider leaving some blank spaces in the middle so we can add some decorative fruit trees. Google "Victorian glasshouse" and you will see some VERY large structures that could easily hold a small orchard.

But they weren't built to grow commercial crops as far as I know (the heating costs where huge - the bigger ones had boiler rooms underneath the ground and used lots of firewood or coal). They were usually built by rich nobles so they could show off. Or botanical gardens would have one to grow exotic tropical plants purely for display purposes. The attached pic is one of my favourites. From Edinburgh Botanic gardens.

RedKetchup

lol thats big and huge lol

for the moment i try to finish the stable...

i dont see what or which more details i can add to it :)
i am considaring it like finished... need to do the code and make it in game.

by the way ... i am wondering if i should make all those things as a seperate MOD (was at begining included in Garden Walls...)
but i dunno, maybe will make a seperate called:

Garden Walls: Utility.

with Greenhouses, Stables, Hays & Fertilizer

QueryEverything

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 05, 2017, 04:43:26 PM

No, please don't tell me that you are giving up on the small greenhouse?  *sighs 
I don't mind the idea of the big one, will be lovely in a large city, but, my little farmlet bannies ...  please don't forget them?
Maybe 2, 1 for the little farmlets and a large one for a large city.
I would put a large one in a large city gardens area :)  Like the one that @elemental showed us, we have something similar here that I would love to build into a garden environment :)

I love the stables, looking great.

As to the toolbar, maybe:  Farm Utilities as it's no longer really about the garden or city walls, they are more utilities and farming functions. :)
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

dont worry, the little one will still there but overall , over the year production, it will be less... i mean the bigger one will produce more. ^^ i need to check the size and number of workers and compare with crops/works. but these tweaking numbers will be at the end.

yeah the stable is in game now :) looks so gorgeous :)

i guess stable will be in resources.... and the greenhouses in food production.

QueryEverything

[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]