News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

RedKetchup work in progress....

Started by RedKetchup, March 01, 2017, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

I must write and say that the houses look amazing!
There is very much work put in, I can see.
Do you have an estimate how big it is going to be?

RedKetchup

Quote from: kid1293 on August 24, 2017, 09:20:08 AM

Do you have an estimate how big it is going to be?

the file ? or that house alone ? and how many poly ?

the file so far just reached the 100mb
the last house has 3,976 poly which is effectively bigger than all other model cause the tower itself in the back has 1k poly just for it
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

oh and about the back tower.... i could deleted alot of poly (all the parts that are hidden when you put the model over a 1st floor and a 2nd floor...
it is just i remember back in time, some people like @assobanana76  asked the floor being able to stand alone if that person want lol (like making it stand over a river ^^ or just stand up like that without any 1st 2nd floor under it)

kid1293

Great idea from him!
Yes I remember some very funny pictures of people trying
to make your Little Houses do things they were not supposed to. :)

RedKetchup

there was a time i reduced all poly at max possible, make walls and everything with only front 2D planes and deleting everything inside...
but at some point i ve saw some meshes from CC crew with 2-4k poly ... i told myself that i ve gone maybe a bit too much crazy to save up ^^
of course, having transparent windows require some 3d thick objects and thats ok

i think today to have 1k poly for 1x1 tile is kinda alot, but 3k poly of 5x6=30 tiles ... it has a less impact. (100 poly per 1x1 tile)

another coffee and then starting model 4 :)

RedKetchup

floor 3 model 4 redone :)

2 more to go

embx61

3 to 4K for a house is fine.

Lots of buildings on 3d modeling sites are that size and even some bigger and considered low poly.

Optimizing is always good but to waste a lot of time to squeeze an extra 20 poly out is just a waste of time for a building or any static object.
Nobody going to put 400 of those houses on 1 map.

For a crop or tree squeezing an extra 20 poly out can have a good impact though as hundreds to even more then a thousand can be spawn on a map.

With a lot of work I maybe could have saved some more poly's on those statues so they still looked expectable but it is the same story.
I not see players putting hundreds of them on a map and our time is quite limited as it is.

That is in a sort of way how I approach the poly count for models by just looking what it does and how many I think going to be placed on the map.
If I think not a whole bunch I can add some more poly's for detailing and be a bit more liberal.

As players normally only can place one Town Hall on a map it does not really matter if that Town Hall is 4K or 7K.

I like to add that there is no magic button for optimizing. ProOptimize in max gives okay results and it goes fast but it is in no way perfect.

The big game studios optimize mostly by hand probably let their apprentices do the quite boring optimizing work.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

RedKetchup

i agree with all that :)

Quote from: embx61 on August 24, 2017, 07:47:37 PM
As players normally only can place one Town Hall on a map it does not really matter if that Town Hall is 4K or 7K.

^^ like my wondelful white house :)

embx61

Very good example Red.

I honestly forgot you made that wonderful building or I would have mentioned it above. :)

We have to find a balance between getting Mods out and do optimizing with the time we have.

A perfect optimized building is nice but about half of the Mods currently released would not have been released yet. :)

Look how long you are working on redoing NMT 3 story houses. Imagine you going to spent a lot of time on top of that to maybe squeeze maybe an extra 10K poly extra out for the whole set.

RedKetchup

yes i do. i save what i can do... but i keep some part that can bug with the shadow engine.
also, with the experience i have today, i can shape forms the way i like without subdividing pieces and make them as low poly as i can.

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 24, 2017, 09:37:15 AM
oh and about the back tower.... i could deleted alot of poly (all the parts that are hidden when you put the model over a 1st floor and a 2nd floor...
it is just i remember back in time, some people like @assobanana76  asked the floor being able to stand alone if that person want lol (like making it stand over a river ^^ or just stand up like that without any 1st 2nd floor under it)

hey!! Was, and still it is, a great idea!!  ;D ;D ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

embx61

Hiya @assobanana76

Where have you been hiding?

Good to see you back :)

assobanana76

Quote from: embx61 on August 25, 2017, 12:18:50 AM
Hiya @assobanana76

Where have you been hiding?

Good to see you back :)

Hi to all!! Unfortunately my PC has melted .. and the PC that I lent can not run a lot of Steam games (including Banished) so I took a long pause until I got the money for a new pc! Then, this morning, I get a mail that RedKetchup mentioned in a post and I could not do it or less to come and see what that villain was saying!  ;D
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

RedKetchup

haha welcome back @assobanana76  !
how are you doing ?

assobanana76

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 25, 2017, 12:48:35 AM
haha welcome back @assobanana76  !
how are you doing ?

pretty good! and you?
Though, considering the evolution of your fashion, you've made me feel like you're back to build my vegan villages !!
Did you manage to realize that "house on the river"?  ;D