News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Making lumber

Started by galensgranny, September 15, 2017, 11:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

The big problem, more steps, more workers needed.   ???

brads3

yes and no. i don't think we want to get it over-complicated or overwhelming like CC's building materials. we don't need to now that we have more building requirement options.i don't think it should replace and redo all the mods that are out already. i think there is room for both the easy to make buildings plus more advanced buildings.
       1 of the reasons i threw out the idea of slab lumber was to give more optioons that could be made early without iron.many of the mods we have now have a look or texture that is more fitting of a slab-lumber than just logs.realistically,the amount of time to slab all the logs to build many of the mods we have is not taken into consideration. not that we always play by that rule either.
    i don't think normally a player is going to start a map with the idea to build NECORA's sherbrooke houses from start.you would build up to that point. you would build a forest area to supply the logs and therefore the lumber.those 1st houses would b made using logs.so your settlement grows into a village and then into a city. it is a process.by the time you have enough foresters to produce the logs for the lumber,you would have more population.

galensgranny

So glad to see all these ideas for making lumber!  :)   I really wanted to be able to build Necora's houses and the colonial houses, still within the basic game and not adding a whole big mod set that I didn't want, just for the sawmill.

After Necora mentioned there was a sawmill (that didn't need lumber to make it), in his Maritimes offshore Fishers set, I used that.  But still, it would be good for there to be a sawmill not part of a themed set.  Those themed sets add other elements, and right now I don't prefer that, having my worker's list and inventory lists full of things I don't want.

Quote from: RedKetchupwhat's about an extra Forest Center District ?

Yes, I like that idea!  Your pictures of your plan look great!

RedKetchup

NMT30Series: Forest Center for 1.0.7 - 3.2 UPDATE:
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=358

- Added Lumber as new resource. Lumber is mainly used in some mods like CC or Necora Mods. It doesnt have any purpose in NMT3.0 mods. Lumber and the Lumbermill is totally optional.
- Added a new district: Lumbermill District. A NMT30FC lumbermill district makes Lumber, a new resource, from logs. Cost 32 wood and 6 stones to build, this new building can employ up to 3 cutters.
- Added also the Lumbermill as a standalone 6x6 tiles.
- Added a maximum of 2 herbalists in the Herbalist District and standalone.

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Goblin Girl

Quote from: Abandoned on September 18, 2017, 04:37:48 AM
@RedKetchup , please tell me that all these beautiful buildings you are making are not going to require a production chain of lumber? If all the great new sets are going to require iron ore production and lumber chains I think Banished will soon be losing more member. 

And please no one tell me "if you don't like it don't use it"   I won't.
FYI, Kralyerg created a mod called Iron is Iron.  It takes iron ore out of CC.  Like you, I found the iron ore chain needlessly complicated.  Lumber I don't mind so much, because it's only one step.  But the iron ore forced a new town to burn through the iron ore laying on the ground way to quickly, because of course when you have low population you can't waste workers on a fuel refiner and smelter. 

Also, I typically micromanage the sawmill to keep a supply of about 200 lumber. 

RedKetchup

usually all my blacksmith can smelt iron ore to iron. it is 1 step and no need any extra building. and what i find extremly nice of it, it occupy them between the needs of making tools.

when i reach the 50 tools, i switch my BS to smelt iron. and once my tools reach down below 15-20 tools, i ask him back to go back to tools till i get 50. i find it very natural to occupy his time between batch of tools

Goblin Girl

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 19, 2017, 08:00:44 AM
usually all my blacksmith can smelt iron ore to iron. it is 1 step and no need any extra building.

Wait.  The CC blacksmith can smelt iron?  Or only yours?  If this is the case, then I guess I missed this change because I've been using Iron is Iron for...I dunno, 2 years I guess.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Goblin Girl on September 19, 2017, 08:09:52 AM
Quote from: RedKetchup on September 19, 2017, 08:00:44 AM
usually all my blacksmith can smelt iron ore to iron. it is 1 step and no need any extra building.

Wait.  The CC blacksmith can smelt iron?  Or only yours?  If this is the case, then I guess I missed this change because I've been using Iron is Iron for...I dunno, 2 years I guess.

mine

Goblin Girl

Ah.  But yours isn't updated yet.   :D

OK.  I will keep Iron is Iron running until you update your lovely blacksmith.  You're kind of my hero right now.  :)

RedKetchup

Quote from: Goblin Girl on September 19, 2017, 08:31:37 AM
Ah.  But yours isn't updated yet.   :D

OK.  I will keep Iron is Iron running until you update your lovely blacksmith.  You're kind of my hero right now.  :)

this one should be do the work :)

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=207

it is the last item on the list of the menu

brads3

1 way to not over use the iron ore is to use stone tools.in the beginning of games with less population the tool needs are not that high.with the blacksmith mod,you have wood tools and stone tools as options.this allows time to build a reserve of iron ore before you build a mine.it also can be used to create a buffer to prevent running ouyt of tools later in game. i leave the mini BS. making stone tools even later in game. when i want higher grade tools for mines i build a BS closer to their area and up the limit.this way the mini keeps producing even if iron ore runs low.

AzemOcram

I like having Lumber as a requirement for advanced wood buildings. Why not have stone bricks as a requirement for stone walls? Surface stone and quarries would produce stone, which can be used for foundations and chimneys of wood buildings. Then you have a stonecutter turn the stone into stone bricks.