News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Small Questions

Started by snapster, October 22, 2014, 08:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 22, 2014, 09:45:29 AM
Thanks.  This discussion, so far, has clarified a problem I've been having with farm size.  With a 100% farming community with one fish dock and one gatherer, I've found you need one 15 x 15 crop with 2 (minimum) farmers each for each 10 citizens.  This sucks up land at a tremendous rate.

In my next town, I am going to try it with smaller farms and more barns.  How do you feel about one barn every two or three farms?
Multiple farms per a single barn are fine, as long as the barn is getting emptied out in between harvests so it has room for next year's harvest. Vendors are good for doing this. If they have room in their market that is  ;)

You have to keep an eye on your farm barns though, as they can quickly get filled up with other stuff like venison, leather, and tools.

slink

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 10:08:37 AM
Quote from: slink on October 22, 2014, 09:53:41 AM
Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 09:19:35 AM
Does the game tell you the different characteristics of crops?

No.  See the thread at this link: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=353.0

Jeez. :/ What's the abridged version of this? What are the crop characteristics in the game? Is it all trial and error, observation?
The abridged version is in the first post.  It is from the crop definition files in the game, as revealed when the modding kit was released.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: irrelevant on October 22, 2014, 10:59:32 AM
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on October 22, 2014, 09:45:29 AM
<snip>
Multiple farms per a single barn are fine, as long as the barn is getting emptied out in between harvests so it has room for next year's harvest. Vendors are good for doing this. If they have room in their market that is  ;)

You have to keep an eye on your farm barns though, as they can quickly get filled up with other stuff like venison, leather, and tools.

Thanks again.  I've a new town under weigh at the moment, and I built a Market in the second year.  Most of my farms are small, and I currently have eight of them with two barns and a working market.

Next order of business is an iron mine (already have a smithy) and  a forester.  I suspect that I am going to need about half a dozen foresters the way these people use wood for heating.

The other thing to watch out for IMHO is the capacity of your stockpile(s).  Stockpiles can come and go as needed, I've found.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 22, 2014, 10:57:34 AM
Herbalists and farmers store their own products in barns. For hunters and gatherers (and foresters) the storing can also be done by laborers (and is usually done by laborers).

These exceptions stated somewhere in the game? Thanks for the other answers. So would you build barns by hunters and gatherers?

Quote from: slink on October 22, 2014, 12:09:14 PMThe abridged version is in the first post.  It is from the crop definition files in the game, as revealed when the modding kit was released.

Thanks. How is this useful, by the way? You can't affect the temperature and otherwise there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. I guess growing seasons are different and a few crops have an extra cycle? When are the growing seasons, by the way? Does the player do that on his or her own? How did irrelevant get to 10 trips of a farmer to a barn?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 12:31:08 PM
These exceptions stated somewhere in the game?
No, known through observation.

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 12:31:08 PMThanks for the other answers. So would you build barns by hunters and gatherers?
I wouldn't put barns out there, I would put a barn near my main settlement on the side in the direction of the hunter and gatherer. A barn in the circle of the gatherer will reduce the effective area available to the gatherer. Many people put the gatherer's barn just outside the gatherer's circle. It really is a matter of personal preference. Personally I feel that closer to the houses and the market is better, as the barn then can be used for other purposes as well.

Quote from: slink on October 22, 2014, 12:09:14 PMThe abridged version is in the first post.  It is from the crop definition files in the game, as revealed when the modding kit was released.

Thanks. How is this useful, by the way? You can't affect the temperature and otherwise there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference. I guess growing seasons are different and a few crops have an extra cycle? When are the growing seasons, by the way? Does the player do that on his or her own? How did irrelevant get to 10 trips of a farmer to a barn?
Farmers will start planting in early spring as soon as the temperature climbs above freezing, without you needing to do anything. You will soon see them out in the fields, moving along the rows from the south edge towards the north. Crops will then gradually start to grow.

One thing to be careful of, farmers act as laborers during the winter. If you initiate big laborer projects (like gathering surface stone and/or iron) during the winter, the farmers will participate. When late winter arrives, you want the farmers no longer to be doing stuff like this, so that they can be heading back to their homes so they will have time to re-stock food and firewood and maybe spend some time idling. If the are still doing laborer stuff with it turns early spring they will still have to visit their home and re-stock if necessary, get something to eat, get warm, and generally futz around long enough that the start of planting is delayed, perhaps to the point where that year's harvest will be shit.

tl;dr Cancel your resource gathering projects when winter turns to late winter.

I get ten trips by dividing the optimum harvest for a 120-tile farm (840) by the amount of food a farmer will be carrying (84) when he makes the trip to the barn.

All crops are planted starting together. They have different times to maturity, so they will start being harvested at different times.

All crops begin harvest automatically the moment the yield bar reaches 100%.

All crops will begin harvest no later than the start of early autumn, regardless of whether they have reached full maturity or not.

You can't get two crops from one field in the same season, as planting takes place only in early spring, period.

snapster

Quote from: irrelevant on October 22, 2014, 12:59:33 PM
These exceptions stated somewhere in the game?
No, known through observation.

Stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Do farmers act like laborers during the winter while being listed as farmers?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 02:39:48 PM

Stuff like this shouldn't happen.

Do farmers act like laborers during the winter while being listed as farmers?
Bah, all citizens work as laborers during periods when they aren't doing their assigned functions. Like when firewood production stops because you have reached the fuel limit, the woodcutter acts as a laborer. Working as designed. I think this was in the tutorial. You did go through the tutorial, right? ;)

snapster

I did. The first part was about the hunters and gatherers not transporting their stuff.

snapster

Anything about pastures? Their size? Can multiple types of animals be inside the same pasture?

Is it a good idea to have herbalists and gatherers together?

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 03:55:12 PM
Anything about pastures? Their size? Can multiple types of animals be inside the same pasture?

Is it a good idea to have herbalists and gatherers together?
One animal type per pasture

They don't interfere with each other. Each needs the same thing, mature trees (at least 3-4 years old). That's what their stuff grows under.

irrelevant

Quote from: snapster on October 22, 2014, 03:14:01 PM
I did. The first part was about the hunters and gatherers not transporting their stuff.
The bit about farmers being laborers is in the in-game help, the question mark at the right end of the tools and reports button.

snapster

snapster

Are hunting cabins good only in wide open fields or in forests as well? I thought I saw two conflicting things.

Should you be leaving small spaces between houses in case of fire?

irrelevant

Hunting cabins are good wherever you see herds of deer. They usually are best in choke points between hills & rivers. Herds of deer move thru built up areas, thru fields, and thru forests. You just need to scope out where they are.

The herds of deer migrate around between their grazing areas. Best case is to site a hunting cabin such that it has two or even three grazing areas in its circle.

A hunting cabin works nearly as well with a single hunter as it does with two, because of the way hunting works. I almost never use more than one hunter per cabin, and each of my cabins will typically get 800 food and 24 leather per year. Often 25% and occasionally 50% more, occasionally 25% less. A third hunter adds nothing.

For example, check out this hunter center screen, his panel is open to the right:

He's got two herds of deer, one up by the fishing dock, the other to the right behind the forester/gatherer/herbalist node.

Depends whether you play with disasters on or off. I always have them off, so no fires.

snapster

So do the herds regenerate in the same places? Cabins are only good where you see herds, no matter how open and lacking of human presence an area may be? I've got a damn herd right in my settlement where I'm planning to expand. It just seems asinine to put a hunter's cabin there.

You got a forester with your herbalist and gatherers? :o I thought those trees were supposed to be old.