News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Dealing with old age

Started by Ridley, May 22, 2020, 07:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ridley

Hello
My first post here. I played a Banished a little a few years ago and didn't really take to it, but now finding I have time on m y hands I tried again and have got the bug.
I guess the game is slowing down a little in activity theses days?
Anyway, I was playing my first decent start and all was going well until my population got old and started to die off, I couldn't get the population back up again quick enough to replace essential workers, so I started a new game, but my question is how do you  manage the old age factor so that you don't run out of labour?
Thanks

Abandoned

Hi, best thing to do is start to watch existing families at the start.  When there are children reaching age 15, you should build a house or 2 so that those children will pair up, move into one of those houses and start families.  No not build more houses then needed or existing families will break up.  A house or 2 a year is all that is need, unless you accept nomads.

Nomad arrival requires a town hall and market unless you use one of the many nomad attractors.  My favorite is Kid Nomad Sign Complete - you pick the one you want by the percentage of nomads you would like.  There is also small bridge piece to place to get nomads to cross distant stream if the are stuck at the edge of the map.  Find it here:

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1930.msg39182#msg39182

Have fun  :)

Ridley

Many thanks, that's a good start. I'm not ready for Nomads yet but will certainly take a look at that link  :)

brads3

much depends on which age mod you use. the vanilla way ages faster,like 8 times a year.this causes a higher population growth but also the bannies get old sooner. you still produce food and life goes on at a year pace. there are several different age mods that slow this back down to a normal 1 year rate. some players argue this slows the game  too much. i see it as being more realistic since you produce food at a year pace.the age mods also change the max age.with different versions, you can adjust what age they will die at.

i have a variation of KID's propertime mod that allows the bannies to age to 80-85. they move out and pair up at 15-16 years of age,same as they finish school. in early games without a school, 10 year olds help as laborers. as girls get to 15-16,i build houses.  this way i have workers early to keep the game moving along. after a school is built,i try to keep 1 house per every 2 working adults.

Ridley

Thanks Brads3 I think I may give an age mod a go

Goblin Girl

House building in this game is the main way to manage your population.  In the early game, I typically want to grow more quickly, so I pay close attention to how many children are reaching graduation age.  For every female who graduates, I build a house.  They'll marry a male student if there isn't a newly graduated male, but as long as the female is an adult, she'll start producing children.

Later on, when it becomes too cumbersome to micromanage like that, I use the town hall's data to decide when to build houses.  For example, if the town hall says you have 40 families and only 30 houses, that's a problem.  But!  It's not what you think.  Don't go building 10 houses!  Build two or three, and then see what the stats say.  Sometimes the way the town hall counts doesn't make sense.  So when the number of houses and families are close to the same, only build one house at a time, then check the numbers again.

Another thing to consider is where you place all these new houses.  If you group them all together then in a few years everyone in that neighborhood will be old, and they'll start to die.  You'll end up with a lot of houses with only one old person, and as a result, your workers may have to walk farther to get to their job site.  So, scatter your new houses around, so that each cluster has a range of ages.

brads3

GG makes a valid point about locating the houses. 1 thing i do is plan laborers in far away areas. take a forest, forester,gathering hut, hunter.usually there are 2 at the forester ,so total 4 workers. plan 3 houses gives you 2 laborers. these extra laborers will walk back and forth to where you are clearing land and building. as they travel home for food, they drop items. this helps use the games scattering of items to your advantage. it isn't fool proof but can help move tools,clothing,firewood,or grain to the far out areas. any time that saves a bannie walking to find a tool or other items is more time they are working.

take time to look around and now and then watch a bannie or 2. you'll notice they do have different personalities ,especially the market vendors.