News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Cannibals!

Started by Navigator Black, July 26, 2020, 09:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navigator Black

This article sounds like a fantastic premise for a Banished game, and mod or set of mods.

"In the summer of 1933, thousands of Moscow citizens were rounded up by police and sent to live on a small, swampy island in Siberia's Ob River. They were unwilling "settlers" in Stalin's new social-engineering plan to relocate millions deemed undesirable into remote areas of Siberia and Soviet Kazakhstan where they would cultivate the land and develop self-sufficient communities.

They would undoubtedly die, but hopefully they would build some towns first.

The first 3,000 arrived by barge on Navino Island (also called Navinsky Island) in May. It was gulag disguised as a "special settlement." They had no tools, food or shelter, and conditions deteriorated quickly with snow, frost, rain and freezing winds.

Still, more people continued to arrive."

https://www.cultofweird.com/crime/russia-cannibal-island-nazino/

Artfactial

Oh that's nasty and very interesting.:)

I had a mod idea once in which a graveyard building used the 'burried' corpses to produce meat products. A very efficient way of halting a starving death cycle.

theonlywanderer

It's truly amazing the real life tragic events of this magnitude that have occurred and yet rarely hear about them.  Basically a real life hunger games, it's insane.     When people question wars, you would think all that is needed is to show them these stories.   Those leaders needed destroyed along with anyone who willingly stood by them.   It's not all that far off from today where we still have some leaders who need to be wiped off the earth.

Personally, I wouldn't do any kind of mod that would relate anything to this, it's simply disgusting.

Artfactial

It is disgusting and horrible, yes, and I absolutely agree that any path, persons or groups of person taking us there should be avoided and warned against.
But I also believe that games are a unique medium to experience events through and get to grips with sometimes totally alien and abhorrent historical, or otherwise, situations.
A simulation type game like Banished especially has potential in this, when done right.

But yeah, I see that this is no fun topic; I just am wary of people avoiding harsh topics and forgetting more of history.

Kristahfer

There may be some that would be interested in something along those lines. The popularity of "Dawn of the Dead" and other movies, TV serials, and games can be found in many groups especially younger individuals that have never had to face death in anything else other than reality. In my opinion, if someone wants to experience such morbidity they only have to look at the history of humanity. For me, one that has faced death on a large scale, this is not something that I would not recommend nor take part in, nor indulge in visualizations of this sort of stuff in movies, TV or games. To me, Banished is a game of creation, not destruction, wars, or player versus player hostility. That is my reason for choosing this game for my relaxation.