News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

@MarkAnthony The reason you got double icons using NewFloraEdit was because you were using it with RKEC which is where you got deadwood from. RKEC has it's own spawners.  Kid's mods use tany's NewFlora and Kid made NewFloraEdit, removing buildings and adding branches.  His mods use tany's flax, the other mods do not.  Necora's patches are for the other mods.  If you want NewFlora flax to work with Kid's mods do not use the patches.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Abandoned on September 27, 2019, 09:18:21 AM
@MarkAnthony The reason you got double icons using NewFloraEdit was because you were using it with RKEC which is where you got deadwood from. RKEC has it's own spawners.  Kid's mods use tany's NewFlora and Kid made NewFloraEdit, removing buildings and adding branches.  His mods use tany's flax, the other mods do not.  Necora's patches are for the other mods.  If you want NewFlora flax to work with Kid's mods do not use the patches.
I haven't used RKEC in a while now, I'm only playing Kid's mods right now but... I am using Red's RKCart's, RKFarmStand and sometimes his RKStockpiles. That's it.

Roger that on your last part... no patches for Kid's mods. Thanks.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

kid1293

It is my fault. I have that deadwood icon in more than one place and sorry to say I don't remember
where I have put it. Live with it. Both work. I have them too (with only my mods).

Abandoned

;D LOL I use NewFloraEdit all the time and now I have to go look if the collection button says deadwood or branches.  My notes say deadwood. 

MarkAnthony

Hi, would someone please refresh my memory on where it's okay to put uneducated workers to work?

Good: Hospital, School, Churches/Parishes, Vendors, Traders, Farmers, Herdsman, Herbalist?, Gatherer?, Hunter?, Fisherman?

Bad: Blacksmith, Woodcutter, Tailor | (basically anything that produces a 2nd/3rd tier quality item)

Maybe okay? = Miner, Stonecutter, Sand & Clay pits etc. | though higher chance of likelihood of deaths, right, mainly Stonecutters?

brads3

depends on the mods used. generally the teacher,cleric,and doctor won't matter if they are uneducated. traders and vendors and laborers can  slow down.anyone else production will drop. by how much depends on the mods. also depends how much you need th output. tailors and blacksmiths don't matter as much if you have a good supply stockpiled.once you have enough bannies thou the blacksmith walking farther to get materials will cost you tools.

again it depends on the mods. some are more forgiving than others. below 40% education level,work suffers and the town becomes harder to manage. below 30%, you will aready be in domino mode where lack of tools and firewood or food almost stop work the bannnies waunder around looking for 1 supply than another.   the difficulty level is similar to NILLA palying the North ironman style,but with many more bannies to deal with.

your list of good to be uneducated is from a North mod.TOM changed the requirements so education matters to processors.in that case an un-educated worker does have a penalty. they use up more goods  to produce less stuff.DS's processors seem to have similar traits. in both you are also having effects from happiness plus the lack of education.

irrelevant

A post I made on Reddit:

Lack of education really is a massive productivity hit (these numbers are without mods):

Firewood and especially tools are very bad. This is because there is are two compounding penalties, one for trees=>logs (and surface rocks=>iron), and then ones for logs=>firewood and for logs+iron=>tools, as follows:

With uneducated workers you get only 2 logs per tree rather than 3 with educated.

With uneducated workers you get only 3 firewood per log rather than 4 with educated, so that means one tree can yield only 6 firewood, rather than 12 with educated workers from the same inputs in the same amount of time. Your firewood production is cut in half with uneducated workers.

With uneducated workers, you get only 1 iron per surface rock rather than 2 with educated; your iron production will be reduced by 50%.

With uneducated workers you get only 1 tool per log+iron rather than 2 with educated, so that means with uneducated workers 1 tree + 2 iron rock=>2 tools, rather than 6 tools + 1 iron leftover with educated workers from the same inputs in the same amount of time; your tool production is cut by 2/3s with uneducated workers. This is the biggest hit of all.

Since you also get 1 stone/surface rock instead of 2, your stone production will be reduced by 50%.

Other hits:

Uneducated farmers and fishers produce 5 food/square rather than 7. So you will get 600 food/season from a 120-square farm rather than 840 (29% less food)

Uneducated hunters produce 160 food and 4 leather/deer rather than 200 and 6 (20% less food and 33% less leather). Uneducated herdsmen have the same penalties (except that, unaccountably, uneducated shepherds get the same amount of wool from sheep that educated ones do. I suppose that is due to the fact that the sheep themselves are not less intelligent, just the shepherds).

Uneducated tailors produce 1 coat for 2 wool/leather, rather than 2 coats. So, since your leather production is reduced by 1/3, this means your clothing production will be cut by 2/3s (except for wool coats, which are only cut in half), just as bad as tools.

Mines and quarries total capacity is halved, and output speed will be halved as well, in addition to increased chances for uneducated miners and stonecutters to be crushed by falling rocks.

Uneducated gatherers collect 16 food per gathering action, rather than 22 (so, a gatherers hut with uneducated gatherers will produce 28% less food than one with educated gatherers).

Uneducated brewers produce 7 ale from a batch of input (30 fruit, 60 berries, 100 wheat) rather than 10 (30% less ale)

Uneducated herbalists collect 2 herbs per gathering action, rather than 3, so herb production cut by 1/3rd

But other than that, uneducated workers are just great. /s =]

MarkAnthony

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 28, 2019, 05:36:33 PM
Hi, would someone please refresh my memory on where it's okay to put uneducated workers to work?

Good: Hospital, School, Churches/Parishes, Vendors, Traders, Farmers, Herdsman, Herbalist?, Gatherer?, Hunter?, Fisherman?

Bad: Blacksmith, Woodcutter, Tailor | (basically anything that produces a 2nd/3rd tier quality item)

Maybe okay? = Miner, Stonecutter, Sand & Clay pits etc. | though higher chance of likelihood of deaths, right, mainly Stonecutters?
Okay so based on replies:

Good: Hospital, School, Churches

Slowed: Vendors, Traders, Laborers

Bad: Everything else

Quote(except that, unaccountably, uneducated shepherds get the same amount of wool from sheep that educated ones do. I suppose that is due to the fact that the sheep themselves are not less intelligent, just the shepherds).
I read that somewhere before (but forgot about it) back when I read every General Post there was a couple of months back. Since it sounds almost verbatim, I'm gonna assume that you wrote that @irrelevant    ;)

There are a couple of reasons why I am asking about this topic: I forgot... duh!; I always have a hard time deciding on where to build my Boarding House; I got a neighbor friend who I am introducing to Banished either later tonight or tomorrow and I wanted to be sure I gave her the correct info.

EDIT: And oh! Thanks for the replies :)

irrelevant

Yeah, that was me. I searched for it on here but couldn't find it. It was much easier to find on Reddit.

I don't think that vendors/traders/laborers are slowed, they are just as good uneducated as otherwise. But I think that uneducated builders do take longer to build stuff.

eta: You're welcome!

irrelevant

Just curious, why are you building a boarding house? They have a single advantage over regular housing: they burn less fuel. But they require so much fussing over!

ets: I guess they are okay if you build them as the first housing, but after that....

MarkAnthony

Quote from: irrelevant on September 28, 2019, 07:07:23 PM
Just curious, why are you building a boarding house? They have a single advantage over regular housing: they burn less fuel. But they require so much fussing over!
How so?

I don't know, just because... it's there  :P

I do know that the only time I consider building them though is when my population growth seems slow even though I have plenty of room and plenty of homes for them. So I'll invite Nomads once in a while to help speed things up and with the Boardinghouse they can start having more children albeit at a slower rate until I get around to building more regular homes to accommodate them.

EDIT: I don't know why but ever since I switched to using Kid's mods my population growth seems slower. I do have some old farts so that's part of it but they're only in a couple of homes, everyone else has a home with room to grow. It almost feels like I am playing with an aging mod again.   :-\

irrelevant

No new families will form in a boarding house. You have to do evictions/fake demolitions to get a new family to move into a boarding house, i.e you need to demolish existing housing (ones already with mature children) to force families to move in, then recover the demolished housing and hope that two of the children stay behind (from two different families), having formed a new family.

eta: Nomads work because they already are in families when they arrive. But no children who grew up in on-map housing are going to move into a boarding house unless you force them to.

eta: I'm not sure I have explained this very well :( Here's how you form a new family in a BH. You find two houses that each have children who would hook up if you built a house for them. Then you demolish both houses, forcing both families to move into the BH. After you wait long enough for the two youngsters to notice each other and form an attraction (just close your eyes and pretend), you undemolish the two houses, and the two families will move back into those houses, ideally leaving the two youngsters behind in their new rental home (it doesn't always work).

But if you go to all the trouble to do this, why not just build a house for them, and they will move into it?

MarkAnthony

I've seen children born in Boardinghouses before --  I thought I did anyhow.

irrelevant

Yes, children are born in BHs all the time. It's getting the families created that is the trick. Look at the edit to my last post.

Boarding houses are great for housing nomads. But then, they don't actually need housing at all.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 28, 2019, 07:12:23 PM
EDIT: I don't know why but ever since I switched to using Kid's mods my population growth seems slower. I do have some old farts so that's part of it but they're only in a couple of homes, everyone else has a home with room to grow. It almost feels like I am playing with an aging mod again.   :-\
The actual reason for this is that I'm using Kid's Old Town mod and that one is mostly three occupancy homes and I use these mainly because they are multi-story homes, so it's my fault not Kid's that I am not using enough of the single-floor four occupancy homes.

*sighs* I need to rethink things here, housing-wise but until I get around to it; "Welcome Nomads! Jobs for all and plenty of food and tools!!!" lol