News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I think Ironman isn´t for you if you don´t like to micromanage A LOT, ALL THE TIME! Every Banni need to make different things different times of the year and also depending on what you need right at that moment. When I play it; the first 10 years or so, there´s no one that keeps his profession all year.  It´s no way a weakness if you don´t like to do that. It´s simply another kind of game that´s not for everyone. That starting position also made it extra hard in this case.

Even if you´ll take a break from the North (You can also play it at normal speed but don´t get the new happiness) I can tell that as far as I remember, the campfire takes 50 or maybe 48 (?) venison and makes 60.  You also asked about the tailor, I meant that one you used, I didn´t even realize that the vanilla type was still in the game, sorry.

MarkAnthony

Tom's Nordic Tailor is an addon from his mods section where you got the Turf Houses so with that I had two different tailors.

Falling asleep at the computer. Good night.
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

Hey @kid1293 , how ya' doin'?  :)

I'm on my second of three days off and yesterday I left the wild west and headed east to try your gothic sets. My setup for that game was using your GothicFantasy, GothicFarm, MedievalGrace, and MoreHouses (Dark). Mostly I built from GothicFantasy and MoreHouses (Dark). I liked it.

This morning I decided to change it up a bit and I am only building from MedievalGrace and I'm really enjoying it. Whatever I can't get from MedievalGrace I go and get from the others. I got a couple hours into the game and was liking how things were set up but I goofed on the GardenCenter placement so it wasn't getting anything put into it. I read about where it needed to be if I wanted the people to drink the ale and wine before I played these yesterday but had forgotten for this morning's game.

I'm playing on a small map and the one I was given was separated in a lot of places by water so bridges would have been needed in many places. I was building on a peninsula and was cramped for space so I placed the GardenCenter down where I could but unfortunately when I realized my mistake after that entire section was built up and working for a while it was too late to move it. I'd have to tear down the MedievalStorage, a 7 person home and the GardenCenter. I was fighting to get stone for all of these buildings so I depleted all my nearby reserves and stone on the ground. I hadn't yet built the second bridge for the other land mass where my quarry was set to be built so that didn't help either.  So no more stone in the nearby areas meant only one option, delete the game and start over!  :o Even if I managed to tear those buildings down and scrounge up stone somewhere, somehow and do it all over taking a few steps backwards in my game progress, it would have bugged me deep down for being so wasteful with materials in the first place. So for me, I'd rather lose a couple/few hours of play and restart the game than to just throw building materials away as recklessly as I basically did.

Anyhow, was writing to say that I'm enjoying these and thanks!

kid1293

Thanks! :)
I am full of laughter since I can see before me the angry bannies demanding to get their share.
Gathering at the Garden Corner for a beer and oops! - not there!  ;D
Beware of the revolution! (better restart)  ;D ;D

Do you think Medieval Grace is expensive to build? After all, I set a high price. Modders vanity. 8)
It is always like that with big buildings. Real-life buildings cost a lot too.

Glad you shared your impressions. :)

MarkAnthony

Nah, the cost of stone for nearly every building in MedievalGrace didn't bother me, it's actually been a while since I had to spend stone like that but it sure beats having to hassle with the whole iron ore to iron process elsewhere and that's what I remind myself of when I yell out to my Banies, "Moooore stooonnnneee!". I sometimes hear a Banie reply back, "What! I just gave you 58 for that last one and you want more?!" "pfft, thhbt!"   :P

I notice that some other players who post here on WoB and Abandoned too often uses those mods that give more resources when gathered/collected or to re-grow stone and etc., MedievalGrace surely would benefit from those, that's for sure.  ;)

MarkAnthony

Okay so after a late nap and then after making dinner I restarted that MedievalGrace game. It was a simple setup and already I seem to be bugged, or that map is I don't know.  >:(

I have tried restarting it five times now to the same result: they won't use the stockpile and they won't start bringing materials to the school I'm trying to get up. In each of these five attempts I have moved the stockpile to a different spot, and I moved the school too - they just keep dropping their logs down, picking them up, and dropping them down again, rinse/repeat as I sit there watching the logs move from right to left like an inch worm moving them towards the stream on the left. What could possibly be wrong with the way I have things set? The stockpile works, it was an instant built one and they even managed to place a load of stone and one load of logs into it, and they even moved that one load of logs to the school afterwards but all the other logs out in the field just gets picked up and dropped all over the place. I'm baffled, and frankly annoyed too!  >:(               

EDIT: You can't see the footprint to the school very well but it's at 2 o'clock from the starting cart's position.

MarkAnthony

I think that last map would have been a really good one to build on but I'm in no mood for shenanigan's, "Oh golly gee, where do I put these logs? I'm so clueless!"  Thhbt!  ::)

So I started on a different map and this one will be interesting; I get to build my way out of the crater it stuck me in at the start. I haven't built tunnels in a pretty long while and I like @Discrepancy 's DSTunnels mod a lot so I shall enjoy this too... I hope; I pray for no more shenanigan's though!

MarkAnthony

For a minute or two at the start I thought the same thing was happening again; trees were getting cut down but there were no sign of logs going to the stockpiles in the immediate area. Lo and behold they delivered them to the school and it was built in time.

I'm on my way to Gothika at last.

MarkAnthony

Continuing on from my last post in the "Here's a couple of mods some of you might be interested in." thread here's what's going on with my newest game:

About the mods:
So besides the doDaylightCycle and KidTreeTopper mods that I'm trying out for the first time, here are some other mods I am also using for the first time as well:

• TreeReplacerEdit (Full version, Kid's)
  • ImprovedWoodcutter (3 workers) (Yandersen's)
  • RockRespawn
  • OverrideBlackClothes  (Kid's)
  • TerrainFarms
  • FishingDockBuff (25%)
It goes without saying (I hope) that Kid's TreeReplacer mod makes the map look fabulous, all those great looking trees and color everywhere! That, along with NewFlora and Kid's WildlifeStarts for animals and grass is a wonderful way to start a game.

I blame @Abandoned for the woodcutter, rockrespawn and fishing buff mods; I've read many of her stories and saw her using them all the time it was as if she was beating me over the head to get me to start using them myself, so I'm game to try anything once.  ;D

• I always wanted more people at the Vanilla Woodcutter so that mod just makes sense to me;
  • The fishing dock mod I kind of always wanted. I'm hit and miss with the output from docks even when I know I got a great spot with lots of water and no interference from bridges or trade posts; some times my outputs are great but more often than not, not so much. I see no harm in using this with the 25% version; the way I see it is I can just place my fishing docks as I normally do and just not have to worry about all those times I'm getting lousy outputs - this should help I think.
  • The rock respawn mod I never tried before because I always considered it or thought of it as a cheat but my opinion is changing I feel. I think that as long as I do not use it as a cheat and abuse it then I shouldn't feel conflicted about it any more. I mainly want it to replenish the map after I've cleared the area when playing some of my longer duration games because the land just looks so barren otherwise. I'll admit too that in those far and few between moments when I wish I had more stone and ore nearby that it'll help me a tad bit there too if I discover I did not manage my resources as well as I should have. Case in point: my last gothic-themed game using Kid's GothicFantasy, MedievalGrace and MoreHouses (Dark). It was my first time using those and those buildings ate up tons and tons of stone! It sure would have been nice to have had that rockrespawn mod there!
Kid's recently released OverrideBlackClothes is quite a nice change from what I consider to be the boring and bland normal clothing, they look sharp in their new duds! Besides... Halloween is approaching and this newest game of mine just so happens to be another Kid Gothic-themed game and I can test out that rockrespawn mod too! So Boo to you!   ::) :P

Uhm what else? Oh... the TerrainFarms is a replacement I decided on for the BetterFields mod. The only reason I ever wanted to use the BetterFields mod is so that my crop fields could be planted on hillsides but what I didn't really care for was how BetterFields changed the allowable sizes for crop fields and how it changes messes up the number of Farmers. I didn't like those two aspects personally. TerrainFarms just allows the placement on sloped hills and nothing more; default number of Farmers and default crop field sizes!  Perfect for me!

Gwinnfields (RNG):

Season: Halloween
Theme: Gothic
Map Seed: 417071614
Terrain Type: Plains with Lake (using DSTerrainsAndClimates mod)
Terrain Size: Medium (per my usual)
Climate: Fair
Disasters: On (per my usual)
Starting Conditions: AE ElkGrouseBearGrass (Adam & Eve using Kid's WildlifeStarts mod)
Story Mode: Undecided, maybe... :-\

I'm already a half hour+ into the game already and as you can see from the screenshots that I will repost below I already have some things built. I really don't feel like starting over just to get a few screenshots; besides... I actually don't have a story in my head to tell this time, honestly. I still think that Benedy story would have been a good one but I'm several days removed from that one now and frankly I lost a bit of interest in it since I had gotten stuck idea/story-wise.  :(

See ya, 'round!

~Mark

EDIT: Forgot to add my ModMan profile, that's 70 enabled mods by the way.

EDIT AGAIN: Just for the heck of it and because I can I decided to link my Benedy storyline since I mentioned it here.  :) There's only eight episodes so it's not too long of a read. I had other ideas written down to finish the story but I got stuck on how to tie those ideas into the storyline. C'est La Vie!  :(

If interested in reading that story of mine you can just start at the Episode 01: Benedy link and just scroll your way down to the others. There are a few miscellaneous posts in between the story that you could just skip over; I've linked them all just in case someone would prefer to read it that way.Please enjoy and by all means - critique me!  ???   Seriously, I'm curious as to what you thought.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: 1 on October 06, 2019, 12:50:38 PM
Those night shots look good, im not tested that mod yet my self, but that preview say, that im gonna probably use it allways in my games. Just that i have not played banished long time now.
Yeah, that ModMan profile of mine up above shows all of the mods in my collection but roughly only about 40 of them are selected for my Base Profile. The Base Profile is every mod I use in every single game I play and then I load that Base Profile when I am ready to start a new game then add on to it. This doDaylightCycle mod just got added to my Base Profile and it's going to stay there indefinitely!   ;)

Abandoned

Hi @MarkAnthony, good luck with new story.  Night shots are cool.  I am adding link to where the release of override Black Clothes can be found.

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3445.msg64115#msg64115

brads3

when i do 1 of the castles,i start a quarry 3-5years before the costruction.you have KID's tiny quarry and there is a muti quarry as well as others. raise the stone limit when you start and then again when you set foresters.

have you tried the CC renewable resource mod? it uses a forester type station to plant and regrow stone or iron in a radius.  depending on how you use it,it isn't a big cheat. you still have a worker and it takes time to regrow the resource.placed near a hill works to limit the output. 

MarkAnthony

Quote from: brads3 on October 06, 2019, 04:01:55 PM
       have you tried the CC renewable resource mod? it uses a forester type station to plant and regrow stone or iron in a radius.  depending on how you use it,it isn't a big cheat. you still have a worker and it takes time to regrow the resource.placed near a hill works to limit the output.
I looked at that last night I think but not from the BlackLiquid website since they don't have it in their downloads. This link for that mod at BanishedInfo shows comments and based on those I decided against it. I also don't like how items planted by Foresters grow in almost perfect circles (mainly trees but now other stuff too with this type of mod); I think it looks more natural if the stone/ore "reappeared" on the ground like how trees re-grow (scattered around everywhere) and not in a perfect circle cluster that stands out too much and looks odd.  Just my opinion.

Quote from: brads3 on October 06, 2019, 04:01:55 PM
when i do 1 of the castles,i start a quarry 3-5years before the costruction.you have KID's tiny quarry and there is a muti quarry as well as others.
Uhm... multi-quarry? What'cha talk'n 'bout?   :D What do you mean by a multi-quarry? A renewable quarry? Or are you referring to the kind where you can select what was gathered? I thought it was only mines that had that. What multi-quarry do you like or recommend?

brads3

NEXUS has a quarry that is similar to the vanilla quarry but gives iron,stone,and coal instead of just stone.  KID's tiny is handy since it is smaller and easier to build. i like using that to dredge stone from lakes or rivers.

MarkAnthony

Thanks Brad, I'll go take a look for it.

As far as whether or not I will do a storyline for my new game or not I'm still on the fence about it. Right after I wrote my post (reply #145 above) I went to take a nap. As I laid there trying to fall asleep I kind of started the beginnings of one in my head. It was just the beginning of a story but it had no plot or theme or anything else after the intro I came up with so I have no idea what it could even possibly lead to. I might have one idea but I want to wait until Kid's two Halloween-themed mods get released, then I'll add those and then start a new game for a story... again... if I can get some sort of plot conjured up!

See what I did there? "conjured" <--- a Halloweeny-type word!  I'm so clever and smartz!   ::) :P Yes yes, Halloweeny is a word! I used it so it must be true!  :D Maybe I should trademark it --> Halloweeny™  haha, I ownz it now!

Where are all these zzz's coming from?! Remnants of a nap I think.  :-X