News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Kid's MountainMansions was the one I was thinking of. It may have been a player comment somewhere that asked for homes raised off the ground to go against mountains that I was remembering but yes, the MountainMansions one was what I was after.

Thank you @galensgranny                
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

Good evening.

Can traders travel up and down streams too or just the fat rivers? I don't remember for sure but I could have sworn I saw them travel the streams before when I first started playing but that was many months ago so I forget if I've actually seen that or not.

Thanks!

Abandoned

Hi Mark, no river boat traders do not use streams, only the main river one way.  Only deco river boats use small streams.  :)

MarkAnthony

That is what I assumed, I just can't shake the thought that I swore I saw them travel the streams before... the ones with good water anyhow, not the dried up ones.  Okay thanks @Abandoned .

Abandoned

MarkAnthony

Hey @brads3 , got a question for you Sir! Anyone else can chime in also, I don't mind.  :P

I haven't played a game with NatDiv for a long while now and I thought I would give it a go again. My main mod theme for building will be Necora's Maritimes mod set (most of them, not all of them). Anyhow, I know that NatDiv is supposed to be below Martimes Pine Set so that's where I placed NatDiv. I also have the Martimes mods in the order that @Necora recommends.

I just started a new game using the MultipleStarts mod that I never used before and I selected the Herders start where I begin with three couples, two children and about a dozen sheep. With NatDiv installed my pasture for the sheep requires thatch (grass) to build. There is a "Harvest Grass" button but there is nothing, anywhere for me to gather! I thought, maybe I'd wait a few months to give the grass a chance to grow but still nothing as of the early summer months. NatDiv does provide a grass gatherer/hut where they plant and grow grass but if that is the only way to get thatch (grass) why would NatDiv also provide the "Harvest Grass" button when the gatherer/hut is supposed to be doing that?

Anyways, I was just wondering if you might know why I have no grass at the early start of the game when I need it to build the pasture for my starting herd of sheep? Maybe you are aware of a conflict in my mods?  My ModMan profile in use is shown below.

Thanks a bunch, @brads3 and anyone else who replies.

EDIT: The only actual conflict in mods I am seeing at the moment is between Kid's Rural Clothes override and the MultipleStarts mod. Even though Kid's mod is above the MultipleStarts mod the MultipleStarts mod sets the Banies up with clothing that matches whatever herd the map starts with. So in other words, they are wearing different clothes than what the Rural Clothes override provides.

brads3

i do not think the thatch will spawn nor the NatDiv items with the muii start mod. since you switched off a medium start. you should see the grass when you start the map. if you used a medium start then the pine and thatch should spawn.
you can build the thatch hut and grow thatch that way.

that is the issue with different mods. which ever mod the start options pull fom decides what we get to spawn. same thing happens with the RKEC. no matter how you set the load order,you have a choice RED's options with the wild animals and fodder grass or thatch and no animals except deer. we did solve this to get the pine mod and trapping toload with the RKEC on different starts. with the multi start mod and odd starts, you should not have beaver lodges or eggs either.

last time i tried that multi start mod,it is an old 1,i had issues. fields produced weird inconsistent outputs. made lack of food a huge issue.can't say it will happen to you as i never narrowed down which mod  or mods was affecting that.

i do have my mod order set to need thatch-fodder for some buildings and the houses will burn it without it being bundled.used KID's FO thatch mod above the RKEC. still have RED's flowers and fodder as the grass.

MarkAnthony

I forgot about this note on NatDiv:

"Meadows will spawn naturally in the world from the start of the game (note: only when using the default 'easy', 'medium' or 'hard' start conditions)."

You were correct @brads3 , thanks.

Gatherer

Quote from: Abandoned on September 10, 2020, 08:36:28 PM
Hi Mark, no river boat traders do not use streams, only the main river one way.  Only deco river boats use small streams.  :)
Small correction here. Yes, traders do only use the main river but they will also use the little streams if the TP is located on one (if you can find enough space to build one). So the trader will come down the main river and then enter the little stream to get to the TP.
I've done this before with some smaller TP's.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

wow, good to know @Gatherer  I never tried to build a trading post on a stream, didn't think it was possible.  That could come in handy on a mountain map where space is limited.  :)

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Gatherer on September 11, 2020, 11:17:18 AM
Quote from: Abandoned on September 10, 2020, 08:36:28 PM
Small correction here. Yes, traders do only use the main river but they will also use the little streams if the TP is located on one (if you can find enough space to build one). So the trader will come down the main river and then enter the little stream to get to the TP.
I've done this before with some smaller TP's.
This is probably what I did then and what I recall having seen before. Thanks. A lot of maps lately have been giving me streams, the ones with good water and not all dried up and a couple of those maps had streams going in good directions and I wanted to use them which is why I posted here to find out.

Thanks @Gatherer  ;)

RedKetchup

Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 10, 2020, 07:10:25 PM
Good evening.

Can traders travel up and down streams too or just the fat rivers? I don't remember for sure but I could have sworn I saw them travel the streams before when I first started playing but that was many months ago so I forget if I've actually seen that or not.

Thanks!

YES! they will do! if there is the creek connect with main river, they will take the creek to reach their TP!
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

Hmmm..  I have played well over 60 maps, all but one or two with one or more trading post and with creeks joining into main river, and I have never once had a river boat use one of the creeks. The river boats enter the map on the main river.  Perhaps as Gatherer said, trading post must be on creek, or maybe on a lake that the stream runs into.  Interesting.

brads3

i wondered about this. i was almost sure the merchants would use the streams. we have seen so many players have issues due to docks or bridges blocking access.  it is risky.  not all streams are the same width or depth either. a shallow spot or a tight turn can be enough to block the boats.

most maps you start close enough to the main river that by the time you have trade goods to afford seeds,you can already build to it. that is usually my main goal after getting a start village built.

we have heard some stories of the merchants doing weird things. they seem to follow the easiest path. in the case of docks,the boats have issues working around them to the "hole" that accesses the trade post. even when that hole is open and not blocked, somtimes merchants won't go there,according to what players have posted. i have seen players say the merchants went back the way they came into the map. the merchants have crossed dry ground as well.

say you have a long lake with just a small part connected to the river,the boat's path wil be to follow the river in a straight line and not enter this lake. if you build a trade post way on the far end of this lake opposite the river, the boat will avoid going across the lake to the TP. i have seen this. built a lighthouse and the town built up. just left this TP alone. over time,the merchant did arrive ,but it was many years later.   think i built TP's on the lake close to the river. this changed the boat path so it began to move into the lake more. 

MarkAnthony

Good morning.

My next question is about NatDiv again.

Once the grass/thatch is removed by the "Harvest Grass" button it seems to be gone for good. I would have to use NatDiv's grass gatherer/farmer to replant the grass if I wanted a consistent supply of it. My question is, does NatDiv's grass allow more wild foods to grow for all three of Maritimes Pine Set gatherers to collect? If I recall, @RedKetchup 's fodder thatch helped with that didn't it or was it just Red's flowers only? Anyways, does NatDiv's grass provide extra food on the ground for my Pine Set's gatherers to find? Because if it does then I should probably stop clearing grass in my radius circles.