News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Animal pasture

Started by zak4862, August 04, 2018, 12:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zak4862

I would like to ask all of you more experienced players how do you decide how big the animal pasture should be,
and do you use any of mods to make the pasture bigger or smaller?. When the pasture becomes to small to produce enough food - do you
make it bigger or build another one. Also where do you usually put it? Close to the center of town/village or more away?
I would be very grateful for each of your opinions.
        Regards   zak4862    :-[ :)

brads3

i try to make a small 10x10 or so by the trading post just to hold animals in when they are traded for.this gives time to clear and build a larger pasture. then i varry the sizes depending on the animal and location as well as how busy the laborers are.i like to put them along streams or rivers, it is an RL practice so the animals have water to drink and trees on the banks for shade.this will varry the width from the roads and be an odd number with the turns in the river.i do try to keep larger animals in a 20-30 square pasture. pigs are smaller more like 15x15 and chickens might be 12x12. much depends on what it is supportig be it a small fort or is it feeding a dairy. as more food is needed,just add another pasture somewhere.

if the 1st pasture is too small for the animals to split to another,you can build the next larger and split the animals back to the smaller pasture.the holding pens are handy cause the animals will produce milk or wool or eggs while the main pasture is being cleared.plus it takes time to clear a 30x30 area. nor do you need to worry about forgetting them if you are busy with a project already.

zak4862

Thanks  brads3 on your kind reply.
   Regards  zak4862  ;)

Gatherer

Here are some Banished calculating tools for Vanilla sized cemeteries, cropfields, orchard and pastures. - - > https://banishedinfo.com/tools/size-calculator

Note that many mods alter the maximum size of each so numbers may vary depending on mods you use.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

zak4862

Thanks!
Lep pozdrav    zak4862  :)

rkelly17

I base my standard pasture size on what will happen when I split the herd to create new herds. I forget the minimum for splitting herds at the moment, but there is a minimum. I use Colonial Charter at the moment, so this is based on how CC mods pastures. I do 16 wide by 26 high for sheep and pigs; 18 by 28 for cattle and bison, and smaller--sometimes much smaller--for chickens of whatever breed. This gives me herds that don't take forever to come back from being split. Splitting sheep doesn't impact wool production, but it does shut down mutton until the herd is back to capacity; splitting cuts off leather and meat from pigs, cattle, and bison until they return to capacity; milk is not affected but beef and leather are in dairy cows. Splitting means that I only have to buy expensive animals once each species. I usually get one leather producer and sheep. Chickens are a maybe, maybe not for me. If dairy cows are the first leather producer that a merchant offers, then I get those an build the milk processors, but I don't usually go out of my way to get them. I avoid llamas. Llamas will spit at you.  ??? As near as I can tell, the only purpose of ducks is to make your hunters much less efficient at producing leather than they would be otherwise.  :(

The best things about modded pastures are that you can build bigger than vanilla (I used to big the biggest possible when I used vanilla) should you choose and 1 worker can manage a fairly large pasture.

zak4862

Is the food outcome the same if you have only one worker on a big pasture?  ???

Gatherer

From my experience it is.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Goblin Girl

Quote from: zak4862 on August 04, 2018, 09:57:44 AM
Is the food outcome the same if you have only one worker on a big pasture?  ???
It absolutely is. 

Cows and other large animals require 20 tiles per animal.  Medium size animals require 16 pasture tiles per animal (sheep, pigs, llamas). Chickens require 6 tiles per animal.  A pasture has to have 10 animals for the Split Herd button to activate. 

zak4862

Thank you again to all of you for your help and answers.
       Best regards   zak4862  :)

elemental

Quote from: rkelly17 on August 04, 2018, 09:01:53 AM

As near as I can tell, the only purpose of ducks is to make your hunters much less efficient at producing leather than they would be otherwise.  :(

I think they just wanted to add a wild animal to the game. They look weird flying in slow motion when you play on speed 1.

RedKetchup

i personally tend to do 10x20 or 20x20
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .