Peninsula

Started by Paeng, June 09, 2014, 09:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

A small hamlet perched on a narrow peninsula -

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Nice, @Paeng. It puts me in mind of a Newfoundland outport, though those would be on the ocean. Since the cod fishery collapsed the folk of the outports have faced rough times. The government is now paying them to move to the city, but many of the people have lived in these little towns their entire lives. The other day my wife was on the airport van with an older fellow who had been in Ontario (where his daughter lives) to get surgery. The govt. wants to pay him $250,000 to move to St. Johns, but he wants to be buried in the place where he was born and has lived his whole life.

salamander

I certainly do not want to judge the values that people hold dear, but if I had the opportunity to provide a quarter of a million dollars to my kids when I passed, I'd jump at it (especially given the current economy).  As I've told my wife more than once, after I've passed on, I don't really have any say in what happens next.

rkelly17

There's a great movie whose name I cannot remember for the life of me about the government of Newfoundland and Labrador (that's the province) buying people out and moving them. One of the best scenes is the people taking their house with them--by sea. Most young Newfoundlanders who wanted the money are now working in Ft. McMurray in the Alberta tar sands. To live in Newfoundland you have to have a sense of humor, which is why it is one of the best sources of Canadian satirists and comics.

Boris_amj

Seeing @Paeng's picture makes me realise why I love this game.
There is a deceptive simplicity that makes it stand out above other "realistic" looking games like SC or Tropico.

I particularly like the coastal town feeling @Paeng managed to give out.

Thanks for sharing it.

rkelly17

I agree, @Boris_amj. It doesn't look in the least cartoonish. I look at "city builders" differently post-Banished.

irrelevant

This is wonderful.

Just occurred to me that one mod that would be fun to see would be different sets of "skins" for the buildings. You could have mediterranean style, or european, or oriental. That would add some spice.

assobanana76

Quote from: Paeng on June 09, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
A small hamlet perched on a narrow peninsula -

seed map?
pls tell me it is small... :'(
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!