News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Modular Mod Tool Bar Spaces

Started by Necora, February 12, 2017, 10:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

RED,i did try to call a meeting at my place. i would have bought the beer too.but everyone laughed said it was too far to come.it would have been a fun meeting thou. i can't imagine rewriting so many files. you modders are awesome.

Abandoned

@brads3 I may take your upgrade advice when I have more time.  I've been busy taking care of a sick cat, one of many abandoned "pets" my husband and I have taken in over the years.  Sadly she didn't make it.  But anyways, as you know I select mods carefully when starting a map.  I have many mods that effect the game start and thus must watch conflict red flags carefully, I have plenty of notes of which to use together and which not.  I rarely have a crash or other problems and have never had a problem with a cluttered toolbar, I pick a select group of mods to use on each map.  Then again this game update effects few mods that aren't cc, few if any of the mods I am currently using ... so .. well see

QueryEverything

Quote from: Paeng on February 18, 2017, 05:21:30 PM
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on February 18, 2017, 01:15:18 PMI think it would be the best to remove the red warnings.

Well, Shockpuppet suggested this at some point, but mostly with mixed reactions... UI changes quickly raise sh*t-storms...  ;)

And one thing remained - how to mark items that DO conflict...

A tri-colour system maybe?
Green = shared texture resources
orange = shared texture & model files
red = game changing behaviour

That way you know that there are similar files, shared files, and dire "game changers".
Not sure exactly :) 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Discrepancy

Quote from: QueryEverything on February 18, 2017, 08:50:04 PM
A tri-colour system maybe?
Green = shared texture resources
orange = shared texture & model files
red = game changing behaviour

That way you know that there are similar files, shared files, and dire "game changers".
Not sure exactly :) 

Another limit we have with the modkit - we can change the style of the UI, but not much of what it displays.
There are no files in the modkit that hint towards the workings of the mod compatibility code.

I myself could not even find the code to change the color.

elemental

Red compatibility warnings aren't really that bad. If you are here on this forum downloading mods then you are already a fairly advanced Banished player and you're probably competent enough to realise that most red warnings are harmless. And if for some reason you have a mod compatibility problem... just ask.  :)

Tom Sawyer

I think at the beginning of the modkit it was a useful feature, when mods were changing something here and there. Now it is standard to share resources and if we are going to put all in one toolbar we get 100% red marked mods with warning icon. Then it is useless and annoying.

To compare the content of shared files could solve many cases but I don't know how much time it would take to refresh the mod list when the game has to compare CC, MM and so on. Maybe not really an option.

I would just change the background color from red to a dark variant of the "banished orange" and take away the warning symbol from the mod icon. Then green means no shared files and orange means shared files, maybe a conflict but keep cool. Also with 100% orange mods it would work. Then it's just the color of enabled mods. Something like this...

Hawk

Has anyone discussed this with Luke? He might be able to address this before the 1.07 final release.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Abandoned

So, is there any chance that this red compatibility warning problem will be fix?  Like I said early, I would find it to be a real problem when selecting different mods for each map, in fact it is my deciding factor whether or not to install the patch and download new mods when modders are done with updates.