News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla-testing the spring version of the North6 together with DS jetties

Started by Nilla, May 02, 2018, 01:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Luckily the birches doesn't make me any trouble, but the grass makes what it can to hold me in the house. But as warm as it is here, I guess the farmer will soon come and cut it the first time, after that it will be much better. And I can always go down to the lake, there it's also better. I just come from a small evening swim in a lake with a surface like a mirror; about 22 C in water and air at 20:30. It's not supposed to be like this in May. Don't know, if I should be happy or scared.  :-\

Nilla

I started a few games yesterday, changed different things and looked around a lot. No new findings. It only confirmed, what I thought I knew already. Even if I don't fully understand, how the happiness work in detail, I know how I make most of the Bannis happy. So I will start a new thread about the happiness system with some basic facts and tips.

Yesterday I was nice to my Bannis, tried to make everyone as happy as possible. Tonight I will be mean and see how miserable they can get even when they have a graveyard.  :-[ ;)

Gatherer

There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Nilla

Sorry. I didn´t write anything the last days. There´s not much to tell and show. I´m going away the next week, so I didn´t want to start a new big game, but I played a few small ones.

I actually was mean to my Bannis; let them go without clothes and also took the food away. If you don't count those who starved to death  :'( :-[ , the rest stayed happy. If the start conditions are good, it seems like they can endure a lot of bad things, but if they had some bad things at the beginning, they'll never be happy again.

Not easy to understand.

I also started a vanilla game with "Norseman". It's difficult because I don't know how big the influence area of the happiness/unhappiness buildings are.

I also made an attempt on @Tom Sawyer´s Anders and Ella scenario (I great idea, thanks Tom). I played it until there were 50 inhabitants on that island, most of them happy and healthy.

First picture
Nilla-mean! It looks like my Bannis don't like being out of clothes and food but in fact, it only looks that way. They are "pissed", that the ale is out! As I made a second attempt; no coats, no food, some starved to death but enough ale. They all stayed happy !  :P

Second picture
Vanilla. You can see; you don't need the North to play with the modded happiness system. It's harder but only because you can't see the influence area of the buildings.

Third picture
Lillholmen: Until I had to locate people far away from the village center, everyone except Anders and Ella were happy.

Fourth picture
Lillholmen; all of it. 50 inhabitants.

Nilla

Thanks, but not really vacation; just a visit to friends and family in South Sweden and North Germany.

Tom Sawyer

These are the vanilla circles @Nilla. To make them visible I would use the happiness radius mods from Black Liquid website.

Well: 20 tiles (Safety)
Hospital: 30 tiles (Health, required worker)
Market: 45 tiles (Goods, required worker)
Trading Post: 20 tiles (Goods, required worker)
Chapel: 35 tiles (Spirit)
Tavern: 30 tiles (Entertainment, required worker + stored alcohol)
Iron Mine: 30 tiles (Detraction)
Quarry: 30 tiles (Detraction)

The problem in vanilla is the huge detraction radius. If you want happy people you cannot build a mine or quarry. Or they have to be so far away that they are even more inefficient as it already is in vanilla. A balancing patch would help but not sure if someone would use this. I know that many people still play vanilla Banished but because it's vanilla and not modded.. :)

galensgranny

Thanks for posting that information, @Tom Sawyer:)   I realize now that I was not having my happiness buildings close enough to all the houses.  I am downloading that happiness radius mod from Black Liquid now so I can see the borders of the happiness effect.

QuoteThe problem in vanilla is the huge detraction radius. If you want happy people you cannot build a mine or quarry. Or they have to be so far away that they are even more inefficient as it already is in vanilla. A balancing patch would help but not sure if someone would use this.
I would.
@Nilla , so the Bannies care more for ale or some other alcoholic beverage than most things!  :o   I have been stingy with taverns.  I guess I must build more.

rkelly17

Quote from: galensgranny on June 04, 2018, 09:01:34 AM
@Nilla , so the Bannies care more for ale or some other alcoholic beverage than most things!  :o   I have been stingy with taverns.  I guess I must build more.

Be careful. When they all get drunk on ale, all they do is run around the map and accomplish nothing. Oh, wait. That's what they do anyway!  :D

My approach is minimal taverns and trade all the ale away. I've never had much issue with happiness. Just enough booze, religion and cemeteries seems to keep then happy. Keep the mining on the fringes. I also use one of @RedKetchup's early mods called Bobbi Special Doctorhouse that eliminates happiness from the hospital. Got really, really tired of Bannies idling at the hospital and spreading disease though the whole settlement.  >:(  Doesn't seem to impact overall happiness.

I did once build a few houses too far away from any school and found one 22 year old still in school, still living at home and very, very unhappy.

galensgranny

QuoteI did once build a few houses too far away from any school and found one 22 year old still in school, still living at home and very, very unhappy.
That is funny!  Though, not for that 22 year old Bannie.
Thanks for the tip about Red's Bobbi Special Doctorhouse.

Nilla

@rkelly17; you describes the "normal" way to deal with the happiness in Banished. The whole discussion in this thread is only relevant, if you play with one of the mods "Norseman" or Ironman" where @Tom Sawyer has "tweaked" the happiness system and made it more important. I have described it a bit shorter and more concentrated in a special thread. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2445.0 Even if it's not easy to fully understand how the happiness works, it adds value to this game.

Yes @galensgranny, if you want them all to be happy; they need alcohol. But they also need the other "good things". A few are happy with the "basics" some need alcohol, other need a priest and the rest of the people need all of it. Not always easy to understand.  :P

brads3

Quote from: Nilla on June 11, 2018, 11:55:41 AM
@rkelly17; you describes the "normal" way to deal with the happiness in Banished. The whole discussion in this thread is only relevant, if you play with one of the mods "Norseman" or Ironman" where @Tom Sawyer has "tweaked" the happiness system and made it more important. I have described it a bit shorter and more concentrated in a special thread. http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2445.0 Even if it's not easy to fully understand how the happiness works, it adds value to this game.

........ other need a priest and the rest of the people need all of it. Not always easy to understand.  :P

the indians and mountain men will protest now and never be happy..........i aready hear cannons and see warpaint.