News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Here's how to use the priority tool

Started by irrelevant, July 03, 2014, 04:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

It isn't Winter vs Spring. It's based on the temperature. You can't increase the priority of a farm unless it is at least 33F.

It was already early spring, I was trying to bump my farms, but the cursor was still green. Then the thaw hit, the temp went from 32F to 33F, and instantly the cursor was red.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on August 16, 2014, 04:43:12 PM
It isn't Winter vs Spring. It's based on the temperature. You can't increase the priority of a farm unless it is at least 33F.

It was already early spring, I was trying to bump my farms, but the cursor was still green. Then the thaw hit, the temp went from 32F to 33F, and instantly the cursor was red.

This is most interesting, @irrelevant. Did you notice whether the farmers paid attention to the temp? When I've played on harsh climate I always got the impression that they went out and planted on schedule no matter what the temp was.

irrelevant

I know they weren't in their fields when I did this.

I think planting is likely based on temperature as well.

slink

My impression is that farmers won't start planting until the temperature is 32 or higher, but that they can be tricked by a late freeze after a normal seasonal temperature change.  I think in those cases their labor is wasted for the duration of the cold snap, whereas a late thaw may leave enough time for a full crop.

irrelevant

I think it's worse than just losing the labor. Depending on the type of crop, a cold snap will kill whatever seeds have germinated, resulting in the southern portion of the field having no crop, however much of it had already started growing. Pretty sure they aren't going to go back and re-seed anything they already had gone over.

rkelly17

No, they never go back and replant, even in bean fields where there would be plenty of time for the crop to ripen. In harsh climate I once resorted to the trick of closing one bean field until Spring and then opening it. They went out and planted and got a full crop while the field next door only got half.

RedKetchup

you know , if you see a cold snap in early spring you can quickly set farmers to none by typing '0' in profession and hit 'enter' and check the frost, and once you see graphics changing back to maybe more greenish... then put back your number of farmers needed.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

By wasted labor I was implying a partial lost crop.

It's true that one could remove and recreate a field that has been stunted due to a late cold snap, as long as it is not one of those places that will no longer be usable because of a surrounding road making a lump in it.  Plant it in beans and you should still get a full crop as long as cold doesn't also arrive early that year.  I'm not sure how late they will still plant something in a new field.  My feeling is perhaps as late as Early Summer, but Late Spring may be the limit.

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on August 18, 2014, 05:04:00 PM
I'm not sure how late they will still plant something in a new field.  My feeling is perhaps as late as Early Summer, but Late Spring may be the limit.

This is a good question. I always try to get fields built before Early Spring so that they can immediately produce. Sometimes when the builders are a bit late the farmers plant anyway and sometimes they don't. Has anyone done any research? Maybe I'll have to take this one on myself.

Bobbi

I'm pretty sure they must be planted by late spring. If you have beans and no early frost, all should be well.

irrelevant

Quote from: irrelevant on August 16, 2014, 04:43:12 PM

Also, you can't increase priority in winter, even if the temp is above freezing. I just tried it.

So increase priority of farms only in spring, and only if temp is 33F (probly 1C) or higher.

rkelly17

So I did some experiments and put them in their own thread: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=338.0

PS: The temps are in Celsius, so 0=32F, 1=34F (more or less).