News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Food, food, food - or "The times could get worse, let´s hoard what we can"

Started by Nilla, April 17, 2015, 05:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

@Nilla well you have enough barns to store 15 years worth of food!! That's incredible. How many farms do you have??

Nilla

I have 65 fields, with one farmer each, and produced 65 500 food last year, 25 300 used. After the harvest in early winter 67 800, so maybe 70 000 in year 30.

The combination of beans and wheat is very convenient to micromanage. So unless the barns are really overfull or there is a very nasty wheather, I manage to harvest all there is.

I start in early summer:
looking at the beans, at 95% growth, the harvest is started manually,
in late summer most beans are working and the wheat harvest could start, again at 95%,
at the same time, the first bean fields are done, the farmer is sent to a close wheat field, where the harvest has started and there's plenty of wheat left,
I go on this way until the temperature gets close to the freezing point or I see that everything will be harvested anyway,
if I am short of stones, I send the spare farmers to the quarry during the winter (I built a second quarry close to my main farming area to make this easier)
and of cause; reset all the fields to one farmer,
in late winter all farmers are sent back from the quarry,

So from early summer to late winter this takes almost all my time. Some new fields, a lot of new barns and a few houses are planned in the time between.

irrelevant

@Nilla so for this challenge would I have to use map 555, or could I use another one I liked better?

Nilla

Do as you please. I just find it more fun, to compare how different persons use the same map in different ways. That was my only reason for choosing a map.

irrelevant

@Nilla ok, I prefer sheep (as do you) but I used your map. Nice swath of farmland there  ;)

Year 7 - Getting started on spamming farms

Year 10 - Farms 'n' barns. Using my trusty grid, of course. If there's a better way to produce food than this, I've never seen it.

The last image shows the forest nodes; these were the initial resource providers, allowing expansion into the farmland to the south. It was only in starting in year 6 or so that I encroached on the circles at all. The gatherers and the hunters alone produce nearly as much food as the town consumes; the farms are almost all surplus.

Nilla

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on May 01, 2015, 02:07:06 AM
Way ahead of me!  :)
Only reason is, you went first. I'm not sure I would have realized how much was possible otherwise.

I probably will continue this town to year 30. First thing I need to do is build a couple of markets, the farmers out on the west end aren't getting much besides wheat and beans.

Nilla

I don´t think it´s possible, but maybe if you push it really hard, you can reach the 999 999 until than. This is a challenge for you.; Barns, barns, barns, you can´t build enough of them!  ;)

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Year 16

Had some consolidation that needed doing. Markets. Stone quarry. Expanded forest nodes out to the north, the old ones soon will be gone. And meanwhile the barns keep filling up! The only fix for that is markets and more barns.

The first move to the south.

irrelevant

The last two years the barns in the farm grid have been full to the extent that harvesting is incomplete. Fake-demolishing has only limited effect as they just fill right back up. Going to take 3-4 of those fields out of service and replace them with barns. Future farm grids will be modified with double-width barn/house strips.

Nilla

I see that you make the same experience as I did. ;)

I also wrote about it.

Quote from: Nilla on April 19, 2015, 02:20:50 AM
The strange low at the food graph shows an experiment of emptying barns close to production sites. It was no good. They are soon full again. There's only one thing to do: Barn spam!!! The gatherers will soon be surrounded by barns.  ::) :P

Read my blogs! Than you can avoid a lot of mistakes ;)

But I know, it's also fun to make the experience yourself.

irrelevant

@Nilla I know you did, I read your posts. I even have the same dips in my food curve. But we learn so much better from our own difficulties than from the difficuties of those who came before us  ;)

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on May 02, 2015, 05:57:46 AM
The last two years the barns in the farm grid have been full to the extent that harvesting is incomplete. Fake-demolishing has only limited effect as they just fill right back up. Going to take 3-4 of those fields out of service and replace them with barns. Future farm grids will be modified with double-width barn/house strips.

Isn't full barns the point of hoarding?  ;D

And, @irrelevant, you, of all people, caught without enough barns? I'm shocked!  ;D ;D

irrelevant

@rkelly17  ;D I know, right? I'm thinking for this challenge there is no way to have "enough" barns. I'd already increased my barn density from normal somewhat too, but didn't go far enough. I think even doubling them up is not going to be enough.