News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Barns getting no love

Started by Pangaea, October 14, 2014, 07:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Have noticed that sometimes the bannies don't use certain barns for some reason, until everything else is full. Once I took down one such barn, thinking maybe it was glitched, but the rebuilt one (in the opposite direction, Rx2) was also left untouched.

In the screenshot is a good example. The highlighted citizen is working on the potato field to the left, but instead of delivering the harvest in the left side of the nearby barn, she chooses to walk across the pepper field, round the corner in the road, and deliver it in the other barn. At other times the farmers from those potato fields will walk in the other highlighted direction to the same barn, which is even more weird, as they walk around the "hated" barn on three sides. So far absolutely nothing has been delivered into this barn, and I don't expect anything will either until the other one is overflowing.

Have I done something wrong here with the design? It seems bonkers to me that they don't use it, and I see no plausable explanation.

rkelly17

I think I see roads on both ends of the barn, so there seems to be nothing amiss. Barns and storage yards do seem to have some issues. I've noticed that the game doesn't seem to recognize the existence of a particular barn or storage yard until a citizen actually puts something in it. For example, the "You don't have enough storage" bonger can go off even when you've just completed a new barn or yard and it keeps going off until somebody places something in the new barn or yard. In situations like yours I have sometimes been successful in forcing citizens to use the new barn by "deconstructing" the old barn next door and then reclaiming it after the citizens have moved something into the new barn. It doesn't always work, but often it does.

Pangaea

That's a good idea, I'll try that and see if it helps. I've noticed the same as you; when they finally put something in it, the situation seems to be better. Seems like it doesn't get 'activated' properly. That's why I tried to fully deconstruct one, but it didn't help.

rkelly17

Quote from: Pangaea on October 14, 2014, 07:56:49 AM
That's a good idea, I'll try that and see if it helps. I've noticed the same as you; when they finally put something in it, the situation seems to be better. Seems like it doesn't get 'activated' properly. That's why I tried to fully deconstruct one, but it didn't help.

Same here. That's how I eventually fell upon the idea of deconstructing the one next door.

Pangaea

Tried it, and it worked, so thanks for the tip @rkelly17. As soon as a few vegetables got in there, they started delivering more. Wonder why this happens, though  :-\

slink

At first I thought it was because some of my barns, which suffered from this, shared a road on one end.  But then that turned out not to be the case.  So I have no idea, either.

A Nonny Moose

Possibly a problem with destination queueing.  I hope Luke reviews these forums.  New storage destinations don't seem to be queued equally with older ones.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/