News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Where you live ?

Started by RedKetchup, June 29, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedKetchup

hehe this photo surely didnt has been taken in the south of portugal !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Rayden

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 18, 2015, 07:49:56 AM
hehe this photo surely didnt has been taken in the south of portugal !

Nope, it has been taken a few hundred miles above the Arctic Circle in Lapland (Finland) January 2001 :)

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on March 17, 2015, 12:29:22 PM
oh man you're lucky ! you can live in t-shirt all year long.

here is 6-7 months of 4 ft snow and -20 to -40 C

Maybe @RedKetchup is exaggerating just a bit. Quebec is cold and snowy in Winter, but 6-7 months, Red? As a native of Southern California I know that Canadian Winters seem really, really long and cold, especially in March when it is still below freezing.  >:(   :'(  I really like the system in Southern California: It snows in the mountains, so you can go visit it whenever you want, but when you get sick of it you can go home--or to the beach. Watching the tennis from Indian Wells I see that my Mom and sister are suffering through 30 C days right now.  >:(  :'(

RedKetchup

i know i exagerate a bit ^^ but still.

last november, before december, we got snow.
so: Nov, dec, jan, feb mar.
last weekend , 14th,15th march we got 20cm of snow (8 inches) and all the snow will be still there most of april.

last october didnt snow but was still ugly, around the -5C to +8C

thats long. you know here, after 15th august, if you go make some camping, you better be prepared at 4 AM it most of the time do +1C to +4C

A Nonny Moose

I often refer to this area as the 'frozen north' but nothing could be farther from the truth.  Here in the lee of Lake Huron, most of the snow resides further north and along the shore.  We are about 20 Km. inland here, and seem to be in some kind of weather pocket.  Towns both north and south of us seem to get much more snow than we do.

On the other hand, we do have a lot of snow on the ground, but have been having a bit of a thaw until today.  This morning the temperature started at zero (Celsius) and is slowly declining.  It is currently 1 degree and sunny, but the forecast is for -10 overnight, but single digits above for the rest of the week.  It appears that spring has sprung, even though it is not due until 10:45 P.M. on the 20th.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

i dunno i think it is worst lately. the north pole doesnt stay in the north pole, it is like it goes pass 6 month vacations in quebec :P

kee

Although most of Norway is still in the cold embrace of king winter, I have declared spring here in the south. In the very southwest corner of the country farmers are fertilizing and planting now. Here the thaw has set in and everything is soaked. The snowdrops are in bloom, the first nettles have pushed up aboveground. Life has returned and she ensures me that she never really left.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

Nice pix.  I haven't seen snow drops in years.  Used to have them when I was younger.  Your part of Norway must be something like Ontario.

kee

Somewhat like, but a bit more oceanic.
Last years statistics from a agricultural weather station nearby:
http://lmt.bioforsk.no/weatherstations/19/table?ignored_from_date=01.01.2014&from_date=2014-01-01&ignored_to_date=01.01.2015&to_date=2015-01-01&log_interval=4
Note: The station does not measure precipitation when it comes in the form of snow. Hence the - 's in the winter months.
Kim Erik

rkelly17

Quote from: kee on March 19, 2015, 05:55:01 AM
Somewhat like, but a bit more oceanic.
Last years statistics from a agricultural weather station nearby:
http://lmt.bioforsk.no/weatherstations/19/table?ignored_from_date=01.01.2014&from_date=2014-01-01&ignored_to_date=01.01.2015&to_date=2015-01-01&log_interval=4
Note: The station does not measure precipitation when it comes in the form of snow. Hence the - 's in the winter months.

Doesn't measure precipitation when it comes in the form of snow? If the weather stations here did that there wouldn't be much point.  ;D

I use our backyard composter, which I can see from my bedroom window, to measure snow depth, since I know how tall it is (about a meter and a half). This year it was buried 3/4. Last year it went all the way under.

kee

The met. office have devices that measure snow precipitation, but that linked site is from a very nearby (5 kms)  agricultural met site whose tech is geared for the growing season and therefore didn't splurge on the more expensive thingmajigs.
Snow depth on the composter? That one's supposed to go warm and melt the lot that's piling on top of it. Ah, you measure how far below surface you find the cleared lid? My bad.
Kim Erik

rkelly17

Quote from: kee on March 23, 2015, 10:15:51 AM
The met. office have devices that measure snow precipitation, but that linked site is from a very nearby (5 kms)  agricultural met site whose tech is geared for the growing season and therefore didn't splurge on the more expensive thingmajigs.
Snow depth on the composter? That one's supposed to go warm and melt the lot that's piling on top of it. Ah, you measure how far below surface you find the cleared lid? My bad.

Actually, when it is sunny--which it almost never is here from November through March  :'( --my method doesn't work so well because the composter is black. This year it has been sunny but so cold that even the black plastic didn't get warm enough to melt snow. In February we had the coldest temperature in the history of Kitchener-Waterloo!

A Nonny Moose

I lived in K-W for a couple of years when I was working at U of W, and the winters were not all that bad in that time frame (late 1970s).  Here in Bluewater, I think we were protected by Lake Huron until it froze over completely.

Trizeropz

Brathaehnchen

Quote from: Trizeropz on March 31, 2015, 03:24:36 PM
Germany, Wolfsburg;)
Then we're almost neighbors. There are "only" 220 km.  ;D