News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Ambertown

Started by MarkAnthony, June 26, 2019, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Hi  :)

I started a new map and town named Ambertown, one where I will not concern myself with min/maxing numbers; so hopefully it will be less of a spreadsheet and numbers game and more of a do whatever I feel like and go for it game.  So for this experiment I am choosing to disregard building roads for one thing. I'm just building the area up without worrying about lining things up with one another. I want to watch the Banies and see where they go on their own without them being prodded to use a road. Without roads it feels a bit like the frontier to me, it gives me an old-time feeling.

Anyhow *chuckles*

Here are Ambertown's map information and it's stats as of my last save.https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133383382_84aaca74f5_c.jpg

This is an aerial view of the town showing (from the top) the Hunting Cabin's, Gatherers Hut's, and Forester Lodge's area of affect. I am trying not to conform myself to the typical forest setup that I've seen several people in videos use, or have read about in the forums.https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133290551_2475a67c88_c.jpg

A view from the hillside Chapel overlooking the township.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133317478_0c7323230e_c.jpg

Another view from that hill overlooking the Town Hall and the town proper.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133315703_be58c65026_c.jpg

A view from within the town properhttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133282681_9449ff9896_c.jpg

As seen from beside the Town Hall
The Town Hall would also serve as the Post Office and Telegraph Office,  lolhttps://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48133373282_4a6690f7b1_c.jpg

Anyways, I am not much of a creative planner and I am definitely incapable of doing the eye-candy stuff; I'm not wired that way anymore.

I was somewhat artistic when I was younger, I was pretty good at drawing and sketching so when I first went to college I enlisted choosing an Arts major. Then I met Apple's new Apple IIe computer. I thought then that I would do my artsy stuff via computers and maybe get into graphic design. Then lo and behold, I met the spreadsheet!!!   :P   hehe  Visicalc back in those days, then the love of my life Excel from Microsoft later on.  The rest was history!!! My brain switched sides and I can no longer draw a circle if my life depended on it.

So all of this is nothing as splendid as what the rest of you build and design but I am going to give it a go anyhow regardless of how it looks or for that matter how efficiently it runs. I'll see if I can get it to a 200-300 population. My previous town was 304 population.

Just thought I'd try a different way of playing. To be honest, I find it hard to play because of all I have read or watched in other videos. Everything I do now I feel is just a copy of someone else's play style. Well, I haven't seen any videos or screenshots of towns and villages with no roads yet; so as far as I am concerned none exist and if any of you ever try it and post photos or write threads about it --- You're copying me!  hehe  ::) :o

'Til next time.

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

Sorry about the buildings showing their "limits" icon.

I am strictly managing my resources at the moment. I have enough of what the town needs right now so I let them reach their limits all the while saving up precious building materials for my next land grab.

brads3

do you want suggestions,advice,or can we harrass you with questions? or are your throwing things on the map to sit what sticks as you develop a game plan?   :D   i take it this is a vanilla game with no mods.

as for copying,there are too many mods to do that.everyone finds their own style over time. that wont happen over night and changes as you play more too.different mods cause us to do things different also.

MarkAnthony

Quote from: brads3 on June 26, 2019, 12:26:43 PM
do you want suggestions,advice,or can we harrass you with questions? or are your throwing things on the map to sit what sticks as you develop a game plan?   :D   i take it this is a vanilla game with no mods.
For one thing Obi-Wan, I am still the student! I doubt there is one question anyone can ask me that you all don't already know the answer to, unless you went with personal questions.

And yes, purely Vanilla errr...  (tiny lie) Vanilla-ish...

The mods I have installed are purely for UI modification: for the mods window and toolbars only.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48134088072_563889c268_z.jpg

That's it. So yeah... technically not pure vanilla but vanilla none the less.

Okay, I see I need to start using the one size smaller option on screenshots. Sorry. (fixed)

brads3

what is the plan with 11 laborers? surprised to see than many this early in the game. you said you are saving resources for the next expansion. does that mean you are hoping for nomads not saying it is wrong,just curious why you didnt use the time to build supplies of tools and clothing?

MarkAnthony

Half of those 11 laborers were a happy accident and surprise for me. I am trying to pause the game as little as possible this time around. So while I am purposely slowing down my pace at which I build and expand and am taking more time to view the goings-on of my Banies from the ground-level and taking the screenshots for this post too, time was unpaused and they rewarded me by multiplying.

I have no plans yet for what's next, I just got back from an hour's nap and have to get ready for work so I haven't really given any thought to my next step forward. That's another thing too that I'd like to try: less planning and more leisurely in the moment spurts forward just doing whatever comes to me at any given time.

Not stressing out about roads going "Omg! my town isn't lining up properly and things are not symmetrical!" and whatever else goes along with that; not racing a self-imposed clock of any kind; slowing my pace down and taking more time to watch the Banies at ground-level has already made the game feel different to me in a positive way I think.

No telling what will happen next. I  guess I will find out after my shift at work this evening.

See you all later.

EDIT: Oh and yes, I plan to take in Nomads this time and see how having a less than perfect education rating changes things. Maybe I will accept Nomads every other time, or every time - I don't know. I got no plans for what I will do in regards to them! :P

MarkAnthony

Hmmm, I still have ten minutes before I have to leave for work so I got time to make another comment.

I just realized I haven't even opened the game map yet and I think I will try my darnedest not to do so too. Knowing that water has to exist on the map for traders I know there will be water somewhere. I think what I will do is just let the paths through the mountains lead me and my Banies to their next destination. I'll ignore narrow passes and go with the medium to large passes. I think I will also go into the game options and uncheck the option to scroll the map by having the mouse off-screen too this way I don't accidentally see what I don't want to see.

I don't know.

moonbelf

That's indeed an interesting approach to playing Banished :)

When you check your Bannies' routes, do they not have to go a long way to do whatever they do, such as collection, storage etc? How efficient will your food and resources distribution be? Maybe I'm just one of those who likes to play more efficiently but that isn't a criticism of how you want to play :)

I see you found water already for a trading post .. beside your town hall. Or is it a lake with no outside access?

Why not blog this?

MarkAnthony

Hi @moonbelf , good evening.  :)

Quote from: moonbelf on June 26, 2019, 07:43:59 PM
That's indeed an interesting approach to playing Banished :)

When you check your Bannies' routes, do they not have to go a long way to do whatever they do, such as collection, storage etc? How efficient will your food and resources distribution be? :)

I see you found water already for a trading post .. beside your town hall. Or is it a lake with no outside access?

Why not blog this?
Now, I know I did say I was watching them from the ground level and I was being more casual in my time and not worrying about queuing up a bunch of stuff, and though I was watching them I don't think I was paying particular attention to their chosen routes but I will make a point of doing so the next time I am in game (very soon now that I am home from work).

I highly expect the efficiency of my township to take a direct hit due to lack of roads and the likelihood that I will be taking in Nomads and my education rating will drop from 100% to who knows what level; and I know the hardships due to those factors will come, but I will try to work within those new constraints and do my best not to stress out about it. There is always the "delete saved-game" button after all LOL.   :o :P

To be honest I don't recall if I noticed the water there or not; I mean I probably saw it but it just didn't "click" in my brain. I was only thinking at the time that I wanted to give the Town Hall a scenic spot somewhere and that was that. I don't remember scrolling the map more than what I needed to position the Town Hall at the edge.

I don't have a blog anymore (WordPress), but if you mean start a dedicated thread for this here in the forums where should I do so? Isn't this already the correct forum location to do so? Besides, I'm not doing a storytelling like others do and I can't really see any of the World of Banished's experienced players and locals really taking an interest in what some newbie player is doing or talking about.  Hehe

In a way, I kind of gave it a stab (a try at being creative in narrative) in another post of mine where I included forum locals and World of Banished bigshots in my story/attempt at being funny but inclusive.  It didn't really get the laugh or attention I will admit I was looking for. So I think I will shy away from the blog side of my Banished playing.

The post I refer to is here:It's All Fun And Games Until... 
http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=3055.msg61301#msg61301

AFK for a bit, switching back and forth between here and Ambertown.   :D

MarkAnthony

Okay, so I just launched the game and went straight to the options menu and checked/enabled, "Clip mouse to window". I went into the game and I unfortunately was still able to scroll the map by putting my mouse to the screen edges. So what exactly does "Clip mouse to window" do then? I thought it was as I described but it's not working as I had hoped.

Sometimes I am annoyed at the screen/camera moving when I don't want it too, like when placing windows at the top or to the side. I'd like to stop that behavior if I could just for that issue alone, but also for the reason I mentioned further up in this thread - I don't want to see parts of the map accidentally.

Oh well. Ce' la vie!

EDIT: Okay I found "Enable edge scrolling" and turned that off so that should do what I am expecting. So what was the "Clip mouse to window" option then?

Nilla

I would like to see a blog from you. I hope you didn´t believe that I was really offended being mentioned there. I´m the ironic kind of person, but I know it may sometimes be taken wrong. But I´m also a straight forward person, so if you do something I strongly dislike, I would tell you in a way that can´t be mistaken for irony.

Don´t be worried about copying other people. After a while, things will turn their own ways, anyway. But it´s a nice approach to the game to watch the Bannis and follow your instincts. I think it will bring you more knowledge about the game than watching 10 videos. Let us know how it works, in one way or the other.  Just one small advice: if this was my game, I would be a little worried about the food supply, or rather the absence of it. ;)

MarkAnthony

Hi @Nilla ,

No I did not take your "offended" remark seriously, I read it in the context of my little narrative attempt as being part of the story line.

My population right now is only 38 citizens and I have four gatherers and one hunter. I think I am producing enough for them and a few extra unexpected births for when I'm just casually strolling through town and chatting with everyone and not watching things more closely, but I will double check to be sure.

Prior to coming here to reply to you I was just placing down a marketplace (though I am not happy with where I located it), a second forester and two more wood cuttters and all their respective homes as well.  The forester and the two extra wood cutters will be downwind from the graveyard at the top of the hill.  LOL  :D   They'll have the job of providing the township with it's initial currency (value) for the future trading posts that will come.  The wood cutter in the town proper is just to provide for the town's need of firewood and for the blacksmith to keep everyone "tooled up". EDIT: And the forester in town is just to help out the wood cutter and for the blacksmith to keep everyone "tooled up".

The market is in the town proper queued up but I really don't like it right there, it's too big and makes the area look too crowded!  I might move it.  I keep fighting with placing it where I want vs. placing it where I know it needs to be (area of affect). I guess that is the point of this exercise of mine though, isn't it? To do what I want instead of what experience/rules/spreadsheets say otherwise?  Forget it, I'm moving it!  8)

I'm still deciding on where I will ask the gatherers and hunters to go next; let me get this other stuff built up first; I just hope the Nomads don't come knocking so soon. I'll take them but I won't exactly be ready for them. I imagine it would only be between three to six of them seeking shelter on the first visit.

brads3

where you decide to put the market is all part of the learning. not really a right answere. same with players who build houses in forests and others who build outside it.have to learn what works for you. not having roads won't affect production much since you are relying on forests and not farms.bannies take their own shortcuts even when we provide them with roads. try to keep the education above 50%.if it gets too low, you can stop taking nomads. at the vanilla speed you will feel trouble faster. near 40% weould be tuff to keep them supplied.below 30,you would need a huge reserve to keep up and dig out of the hole. main thing with food is to produce more than you use each year. when you do accept the first set of nomads,be sure to find where they are on the map. they may be far off and across a river you may need a bridge.better to know that once you accept them than after they are half dead.

MarkAnthony

Hi @brads3 , good morning.

I'm relying fully on hunters and gatherers now only because I do not have any seeds yet but I do intend to farm eventually.

I cannot imagine my education dropping that low!  :o   Is that really possible? I thought I read somewhere that the number of Nomads that come is based on a percentage of your population total so for example if I have a population of 100 then maybe I get 8 Nomads, my normal population (educated) always being higher than the new (uneducated) Nomads. Yikes! I don't want that many nitwits!  lol

I never thought much about their location on the map prior to clicking the "accept" button. I only had Nomads come once in my other game and they were already in town before I accepted them. Besides, don't they have to go to the Town Hall first to tell the Town Hall that they are here in order for me to be notified? How long do they stick around waiting for me to accept them or not?

Thanks

brads3

Gatherer dared me to go un-educated and take it down a long ways.i don't remember which map it was, has been a while ago. i had them down in the 20's before i built a school. i don't think i took it all the way to 0%. i often delay building the school,choosing to have the children become laborers rather than educate them. if i take2 or 3 groups of  nomads it has a huge impact to the %. it's that American expansion playstyle of mine.

nomads has been modded a lot from vanilla. we can control how often and how much the % is.we also don't need as many buildings as a vanilla game.you are correct that they should be at the TH. often they are not and are far away to the map edge.sometimes they will be so stuck they will not move until you do something to rescue them.most of the time it is just a bridge across a stream or the river. i don't know if it happens to a vanilla game.

they do give you a few weeks or a month to decide if you want them.good thing to do is save the game before you accept them.then if they are lost,you can go back and not accept them or build a bridge fast.