News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

House on a (little) hill

Started by TheOtherMicheal, February 04, 2017, 05:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOtherMicheal

Hey everybody, I was wondering if anyone has thought about making a house mod that is basically a small area of raised land with the house on it? The idea is to create the impression of a house built on higher ground than the surrounding land so that not every single house is at the same exact ground level.

The idea I'm having is to have some homes along a path and then at the end of the path is a small hill with the last house in the street set on that small hill. Would it be possible to have two homes on the same hill or would they have to be individual pieces? I'm thinking that it might be possible to create a terrace effect.

RedKetchup

should able to do things like that , there is a terraform function that control floor (the same way i control it to make city roads)
the only thing, it tends to be iffy and chaotic because it is far to be the best programmed ^^

it also tend most of the time to be very square set and not making "slops" with neithbor tiles. it doesnt do anything near of a "soft terraforming"
and  sometime it is very mean and abrupt. but a very skilled 3D moddler can make something good by using the flaws at his advantage :)

it can be more easier to do a machu piccu setup and trying to make a gentle little soft hill ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

@RedKetchup, my also thing (issue) with the terraform mods are that the no longer reflect snow correctly and it is hard, and abrupt, yuck, but the use of it far outweighs the beauty (or lack of).
And I am very grateful that the mod exists!!!  :)

As for the housing, what about the tiered houses and the elevated ones (@RedKetchup, the BlackLiquid team, @slink, @Necora @kid1293 & @Discrepancy etc etc) have all done, using the ghosting method to raise, 2 + levels in their buildings.

Maybe, like @kid1293 treehouses, but, rather than the tree, the bottom of the house is the hill, so it's a ghosted house, but, with a texture of ground.  Now, it won't work in all areas of the map, because the texture may not be dynamic, or exact, but the idea is using those same methods you build the highrises, but, a "grass skirt".  :D

There has been talk about making houses suitable to be placed in / on the mountains for mining camps etc and I think one of the ideas was using the ghosting method, with 1 or 2 single tiles placed on the lowest flat tile at the base of the hill.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

TheOtherMicheal

@RedKetchup I thought the slope might be a problem because the terraform likes to make square shapes but I wasn't certain how bad it might be.
I think a terrace effect like Machu Picchu would be good, you could use square shapes then without it looking strange.  ???

If it was modular, then the outside  blockss of the terrace could be done as stone walls so that the finished terrace looks like it has a retaining wall around it.
You could have a corner block, straight wall block and maybe a piece with steps leading up to the terrace and then you could make a terrace as long or as wide as you like. Just like using Lego haha!  ;D

@QueryEverything I had a vague thought that texturing might be a problem for this but I completely forgot about snow and how it is reflected  :-[ I don't use the terraforming mod because I didn't find it very satisfactory for what I wanted to do (and I think that's more a limit in the game engine than the mod itself).

RedKetchup

when i talk about terraforming i dont talk about the terraform tools mod available on databases....

but the terraform feature we can use when we are making a building ... kinda Smuggler's Cave. i use that tool to make the mountain behind come and integrate the mesh forming a ceiling /ground.

TheOtherMicheal

RedKetchup

Quote from: TheOtherMicheal on February 04, 2017, 07:53:20 PM
Ahh I understand now!  ;D

so just make an hill with boxes that you call "ceiling" and sit the house on it.
and you ask the terraform feature to level the ground as stated in the "ceiling" mesh

but like i said ... the terraform tend to be mean and brut.... making some little stone walls to help the look of big slopes

RedKetchup

TheOtherMicheal

@RedKetchup  I like your idea of terraces like Machu Picchu and it seems that it would be easier to model than trying the little hill