Main Menu

Paeng - Village Journals

Started by Paeng, March 21, 2017, 02:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paeng

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

I liked the look of my attempts with this mod, but yours.......... you´re playing in another leage!

Paeng

First things first... I always knew there was child labor in Banished, but this is kinda disturbing  ???

------

So, I started a new town, wanting to try the Natural Diversity... have not yet decided what mods to use, so right now it's a small section of DS, Kid, Embx, RedK, Bartender, D20, Necora, Tany - not yet in their full glory...

Here a pic of the first 10 years (pop ~60)  - the usual, setting up food and other basics, building up a labor force, yaddayadda...  ;)

From a builder's perspective, these first 10 years are starting to bore me a bit, lots of fiddling thumbs while waiting for kids to be born, get out of school, chasing gatherer & co through the forests, etc...

* I'm starting to hope for new starts with like maybe 20 or 30 people, so I can get into building up chains and productions instead of waiting for a baby boom... or maybe next time I should just debug an additional 10 peeps in (?)

Anyway, the thatch chain from NatDiv looks good, but there is not yet much need for thatch (except some houses by Kid, plus some vanilla stuff), so I had to curb production by letting more forest take over... I really hope that more mods will utilize thatch soon  ;)

But then - this map has a super interesting lake with island (rare on a medium map) -

The island is too steep and small to build much stuff, but it should be grand to develop jetties around the area, with some type of focal point on the island... we'll see what we can fit there.

Originally I wanted to shoot for the river to build Brygge, but this river is not really inviting that type of town... yet...  :)

L8er

brads3

you haven't tried the NAT DIV before? i don't find the thatch overpowering as most houses will burn it.i never build the hut to grow it either. i was suprised of how many vanilla buildings required it too. the pastures and the mine.
    you could check with TOM. he has some different challenging starts setups. i  am not sure if they are all tied to the north.
with your island,we need some bear caves or even the adobe houses that could be made in the side of the steep slopes.

QueryEverything

Looking great @Paeng :)  I really do love @RedKetchup flowers, they are stunning! 

I've really gotten hooked on my NatDivPineFlora start combo that the team put together, with Necora's comaptibility mod, I now have it as my 'go to', now, if only @RedKetchup could get some of his flowers in on that start, wouldn't that be beautiful?  ;)

I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a thread somewhere requesting new start ideas, like CC, but without as many options, I would certainly like to see a few more options - but in the meantime, definitely using the DeBug tool to whisk in a few more Bannies wouldn't hurt, again, not a matter of 'cheating', but certainly a way to fill a void - left by the Dev (no custom starts), and I think - sure, why not, create the story foundation for the picture you want to create. :)

Maybe a new thread should be started with a "Starting Conditions" wishlist and see if any of them are popular enough to attract a modders enthusiasm :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Nilla

It's nice to once see an early version of a town from you @Paeng. Somehow a relief to see that even you are "human". ;) It also shows how much work; planning, developing, rebuilding is behind your usual lovely pictures.

There are a lot of nomad attractors, if you want a fast population growth. But of cause, they are uneducated. Just use the the debug tool to give yourself a few more inhabitants? Why not? As long as you're not following it up with building material, food......it seems to be a very mild form of cheating. Many mods seem worse to me.  ;)

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on June 02, 2017, 02:23:50 AMSomehow a relief to see that even you are "human". ;) It also shows how much work; planning, developing, rebuilding is behind your usual lovely pictures.

Yeah, those first 10 years eat up countless hours... remember, I only play at x2  :)
* And no, I'm not a 'debugger', never been one - debug is for testing_only, not for cheap growth...

QuoteThere are a lot of nomad attractors, if you want a fast population growth. But of cause, they are uneducated.

Yep, uneducated is my biggest "problem" - school is one of the first things I build... which of course slows down everything. But I "hate" uneducated pop...  :)

Anyway, I'm not after fast pop growth, just the opposite - for 20, 30 years I try to keep pop as low as possible... it's just that initial group of 8 or 10 adults that annoys me, because I cannot fill enough jobs to advance production in a meaningful way.

QuoteJust use the the debug tool to give yourself a few more inhabitants? Why not?

Yeah, starts to look like an appealing option...  :)

Quote from: brads3 on June 01, 2017, 03:22:06 PMyou haven't tried the NAT DIV before? i don't find the thatch overpowering

I had a quick run through once, but not yet a 'serious' town...

Quotewith your island,we need some bear caves

I been contemplating a small Styth tower or so...  ;)
I'll have to see first how the jetty town develops...

Paeng

It's year 18, pop ~100...

Built up the flax chain and filled out some supporting productions, water, fishing, weaving and such... built a trader, not so much because I need it yet, but to start exporting all the flowery perfume  :D

Here is the hamlet around the port -

* we need a really seedy waterfront tavern yet...  ;)

Waterpump and Weaver's village...

It's been slow going - for some reason I get huge framedrops on this one... not sure why, but I suspect there is too much spawning going on with fodder, natdiv, thatch (grass), new flora... debug shows me millions of triangles and vertices, which is really high for a 100 pop town that is not even decorated yet  :(

brads3

do you find the flowers overpowering? how many greenhouses does 1 well feed?

Paeng

Quote from: brads3 on June 02, 2017, 04:01:43 PMdo you find the flowers overpowering?

No... I'm saying that since I loaded all the above mentioned mods in one map, I take a pretty heavy hit on my frame rate...

Abandoned

@Paeng , village looking good as always.  I don't like the sound of frame rate problem though.  I'm concerned I'll update my game and not be able to use mods I'm updating for. I didn't have much luck with CC and now other mods getting bigger and more connected.  They sure look good together though  :)

Paeng

Year 24... pop ~120...

Slowly conquering the lake -

:)

Abandoned

very nice lake development  :)

kid1293

You are the zen master! :)

You use the imperfections of the map to your advantage.

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on June 06, 2017, 07:51:12 AMYou use the imperfections of the map to your advantage.

:)  Yeah, I definitely love to work with the terrain...

That's more my type of challenge, finding ways to build on or around terrain that you cannot really build on... that's why I love docks, jetties and shoreline housing so much, helps to maintain the natural features...  ;)