News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Members

Started by Demonocracy, May 25, 2014, 04:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonocracy

I think we need more members.  How do we recruit and lure people in to not only the wonderful game of Banished but also our forums here?

solarscreen

Tell your friends and talk about this site on other forums to help point people to a place where there is plenty of room and good forum tools to enjoy discussing Banished and anything else you want to talk about or show off!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

solarscreen

I have noticed over on the ShiningRockSoftware forums that things have really slowed down recently.  Like was suggested early on here, the subject of just Banished might not be enough to keep a busy forum going.

I have made room for other topics and ideas and features here on World of Banished and will even change the name when a good user base gets settled in and find what they want to talk about and show off.

Demonocracy

How about expanding this perhaps to all city-building games?  I realize that's quite broad, but... it's the basic component here, I think.

Demonocracy

Or advertising this forum (and Banished along the way) on other gaming forums, topsites, and city-building community links of some kind?

canis39

Personally I've stopped posting as much because I'm playing more!  I spent a while reading and absorbing and discussing, and now I'm trying to incorporate some of what I read into gameplay.

Also, I think the current slowdown is because of the 1.02 patch.  It's been out long enough that there are no more surprises, but it hasn't been officially released, so it just feels like a waiting game.

salamander

Also, and I've noticed this on other forums, too, once the weather starts getting nicer, posts seem to drop off as folks are spending more time outdoors -- especially in late spring/early summer when all the yard work needs to be done to get back into shape after winter.  At least that's my guess.

slink

You've got that right, @salamander.  We have three dying oaks to get cut down, and two lindens to get planted.  We transplanted the strawberries to a new, single-level, rectangular, raised bed, and are demolishing the old circular, three-tiered anthill ... er, I mean raised bed.  We're clearing the brush from the front fence, to improve visibility at the mouth of our driveway.  We're cleaning out the garage and the barn, and looking at replacing some equipment.  Plus there is all of the mowing that has to happen when rain falls from the sky.   ;D

solarscreen

@Demonocracy , I can certainly expand on the city building games and thought that would be one good are to expand into.  I even posted all my Simcity 2013 cities in the gallery just to get them up and add something different.

What other city builders do people want to discuss and have a place for their conversations and pictures and videos?

@canis39 , I think you are right about the waiting.

@salamander and @slink , I spent all day outside yesterday working on the yard, changing up some older landscaping and looking at some new ideas for the yard.  My bananas have escaped their containment area so I need to dig them up and put some elsewhere.  I moved several Hostas that are looking very good now, the dianthus plants are now blooming and look fantastic, and I need to move some Azeleas now that they have finished their blooms.

I enjoy the real designing as much as the virtual!

slink

@solarscreen: Bananas?  *intensely curious expression*

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on May 25, 2014, 12:11:55 PM
@solarscreen: Bananas?  *intensely curious expression*

I have a small clump of banana trees that grow on the southwest corner of my house.  They grow in a predefined space but this year I have several plants coming up, outside that circle, in the yard!

slink

@solarscreen: Huh.  That's amazing.  I live in zone 4b.  No bananas for me.   ;D

nmid

Quote from: canis39 on May 25, 2014, 09:05:58 AM
Also, I think the current slowdown is because of the 1.02 patch.  It's been out long enough that there are no more surprises, but it hasn't been officially released, so it just feels like a waiting game.

That's partly the cause in my case :)
Along with me starting another game in a 4x game I play called Stars!.
http://wiki.starsautohost.org/wiki/Main_Page
and
http://starsautohost.org/sahforum2/
and
http://starsautohost.org/kn2050.htm if you want to grab the demo/game.
http://starsautohost.org/files/stars26b.zip unlimited turns, limited to tech level 10/26.

It costs only about $2 to get a key and it's one game I've been playing for more than 15 years and haven't gotten bored off.
http://starsautohost.org/sahforum2/index.php?t=msg&th=1158&start=0&rid=1464

slink

@nmid:  Stars! doesn't work on Win7?  I tried it set to Win 95 compatibility and as an administrator, then set to Win NT, Win 98, and with visual themes turned off, and with 256 colors.  It just keeps telling me that the version of the game I am running is not compatible with my OS.

salamander

32 vs 64-bit, maybe?