Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Cities: Skylines

Started by graphite, September 15, 2014, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

first step done!! :-)
http://www.amazon.it/dp/B004LTCHW0/ref=pe_386201_41597321_TE_item

now also at 1x my Banished citizen will "walk" instead go on slow motion!!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

a stupid question .. maybe ..
What if I do not I build zone "agricultural" (I do not understand why we should do "agricultural industries" rather than "small farms"!)
agricultural areas how they affect the game?
provide food without which all die?

p.s. do you think a GeForce 210 and 4Gb of RAM enough?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on March 30, 2015, 03:07:55 AM
a stupid question .. maybe ..
What if I do not I build zone "agricultural" (I do not understand why we should do "agricultural industries" rather than "small farms"!)
agricultural areas how they affect the game?
provide food without which all die?

p.s. do you think a GeForce 210 and 4Gb of RAM enough?

In Cities: Skylines there is no "agricultural" zoning per se. You create a "district" and designate it for agriculture and then all industries built in that district will be agricultural, even if there is no fertile ground.

The minimum specs say  that a GTX 260 with 512 Mb RAM is required and a GTX 660 with 2 Gb is recommended. I have a GTX 650 with 2 Gb and it handles the graphics just fine. The specs say 4 Gb is required and 6 is recommended.  I have 8 Gb of RAM and, according to my little gadget meter, 60-70% of that is in use when my city reaches 60-80K in population and is using multiple tiles of land. I should note that some of it is designated as a RAM disk, which I think I may disable to play C: S. It is pretty memory intensive.

assobanana76

then you confirm for me that, contrary to "Banished", do or not do agricultural areas has no effect on the economy and life of the city.
the people of the city do not use what is produced.
and there is no trace of the economy in the sense of buying / selling of products.

in the meantime I searched on youtube "geforce 210 cities skyline" and a guy showed that the game also works with this video card ..
I hope because I have no money for a new video card!!

Bong

There is economical impact with agriculture, there is import/export in game. I'm not sure if your people eat or use those products.
You can't buy or sell products, or at least I haven't seen that, but you provide your citizens with land for their business.

rkelly17

Yeah, business dealings are all rather abstract and mostly beyond the control of the player/mayor. Your industries both sell to local commercials and export. They can both buy raw materials from local producers and import raw materials, but you don't have any control over that. The game does complain that your industries don't have enough customers if you don't zone enough commercial, but that is about it. Beyond that it's all private enterprise without "government" interference.  ;D 

My main issue has been that up to a certain point in the game I have both industries and commercial going vacant because they don't have enough employees while the game (via the RCI demand indicator) is asking for more commercial. Not sure why it wants more when already existing establishments are going vacant. Commercial and office also look for employees with a certain educational level, so you have to build enough schools, etc.

Bong

@rkelly17 Do you have high and low density industry and commercial zones? Cause educated citizens demand high density one.

rkelly17

Quote from: Bong on April 02, 2015, 08:45:17 AM
@rkelly17 Do you have high and low density industry and commercial zones? Cause educated citizens demand high density one.

I tend to start with low and add high as the town gets older and bigger. In SC4 I always zoned strictly high density where I wanted downtown to be and it pretty much took care of itself. When I tried that in C: S the high density commercial went vacant constantly until I had a very high level of education, so I now hold off for a time. High density housing seems to be OK earlier. Is there high density industrial? I've only ever had industrial and office, with the office behaving much like high density commercial.

Bong

My bad, no high density industry, just specialized  ::)

A Nonny Moose

Purchased this without paying attention to the hardware requirements.  Seems I need a new GPU to run it.  Oh, well, my machine is getting a little dated.  According to Moore's Law, this machine is four or five generations out of date.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on April 11, 2015, 02:40:07 PM
Purchased this without paying attention to the hardware requirements.  Seems I need a new GPU to run it.  Oh, well, my machine is getting a little dated.  According to Moore's Law, this machine is four or five generations out of date.

Cities: Skylines is also a major memory user. My 8 Gg is running 60-70% used and it requires a page file. I know this latter because when I put a solid state drive in my computer as C: I turned off the page file. The game would crash after a few hours of playing. The solution was to have Windows create the page file on the HDD. I wouldn't want to try running it on 4 Gg.

Knowing that you are an SC4 aficionado, Nonny, it might be worth getting a new card for this game. Mine is an Nvidia GTX 650--pretty low end and now 1 1/2 generations out of date, but it works fine for Cities: Skylines, so a new AMD or Nvidia in the $150-250 CDN range would be more than enough. A few SC4 veteran modders are starting to do some quality stuff, though the current mod and "assets" (C:S's term for buildings and lots) offering is up and down. Steam workshop doesn't have the same quality filters that veteran SC4 sites like Simtropolis, SC4 Devotion and SimPeg have, so there is some junk out there, but there are also some excellent mods and assets appearing, too. This game could be the successor to SC4 if the developers keep at it and the modding quality continues to rise.

borreh1973

Next time try the "Can You RUN It?".
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

But, in this case, the game will reward investment.
;)

assobanana76

Quote from: borreh1973 on April 13, 2015, 08:56:19 AM

Next time try the "Can You RUN It?".
http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

But, in this case, the game will reward investment.
;)
end of a dream ..
I had considered only the RAM no attention to 64bit and to processor!  :'(

Triskel

I have a GT 740 1gb ddr5 and 4 gbs of RAM and the game runs pretty smooth. I got the Deluxe Edition by the way.

Haven't played it much, though. It looked a lot like Sim City to me, at the beginning of the game, at least. I'll give it another try in the future.