News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Knightwoodmoor- testing the Mega Mod in a for me completely different way

Started by Nilla, November 06, 2016, 05:21:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Last week, I started a new game with the Mega Mod. I haven't bloged it, so far. I thought: This is a kind of game, where I'm an absolute beginner, others can tell and show much better, how to play such a game. But of cause, it's not necessary, to show a brilliant game with a good result. Maybe it can amuse someone to see my thoughts, efforts and mistakes. Besides, I can confess, I somehow miss writing these blogs. It's bin some kind of nice routine for me; I look at the screenshots from last day, think about what I did and why; some kind of weird meditation.  :o Another effect; I practise my bad English. I don't know, if I'm getting any better, but at least English comes more fluent, since I started to write my blogs. That's a good thing; it seems like I'm going to get an Australian son in law, so it could be useful. :)

A little about the game.

I choose a Mediterranean climate. I've played enough in snow in my Nordic games, so I wanted something else. I have seen, that the Mega Mod (CC) contains a lot of nice buildings for shores, that's why I play this lakes map. It's a bit too flat, I would have liked some hills too, but I can't have everything. It's the first map, that I opened. I found it good enough; with some lakes, a small island and a good starting position. In order to get a slow start, look at everything and get used to the many options, I started with Adam and Eve.

As I said, I have no idea how to organize a game, not based on efficiency but on the look and feeling. I asked experienced "city builders" in another thread and took some of their advices. This is my way to approach such a game:

As most important advice, I took the one from @Discrepancy: Always thinking about; how I would like it, if it was my house, if I lived in the neighborhood. That's a really good advice! I also try to leave a lot of space; very hard for an "efficiency player". But one thing I can not; stop the game and plan a lot in advance. First, it's much too far from my personality, I wouldn't enjoy such a game. Secondly; I don't know the possibilities. There's too much new stuff for me. But I do play this game much slower than a (for me) normal game. I switch between 1X and 2X speed, not between 2X and 5 X, as usual. I will also build more or less everything in "units"; smaller (a house, a small barn, a bee hive and a mead brewer in a forest part) and bigger (a lot of smelly, noisy producers tight together.)

I will also try to produce a big diversity of goods. I can't say, that I will build every possible building and produce every possible good, but at least have an ambition in that direction. I buy more or less every seed I can get. If I have a lot of one product, I think; how can I process this, to get something else? I do not think about the productivity/profit. I just process it, to get my population a lot of different things, to choose among. Also very hard for me, I still look for productivity and trade profit. I probably shouldn't but I can't help it; has to be done.  :-\ :-[ But one progress;  ;D I don't get annoyed, if the raw materials are worth more than the product. If I want this product; I produce it anyway, or I buy some, if I can get it, it depends. I will not do any heavy trading in this game. I do trade, but I spend most on seeds and stones.

Opposite to other games, I haven't made many screenshots so far. But I can show you a few.

First picture

I've shown this picture before in another thread, but I think, it will fit here once more. As I saw all these houses, I was quite overwhelmed. I had to think again, if I really wanted this. Than, I decided to start easy with one type of house; the small colonial buildings from @kid1293. Nice looking, same cost, as standard wooden houses. Also fitting in this area. The same with stores and barns: I will start with @RedKetchup´s model; looks good and neutral, comes in different sizes.

Second picture

I don't think, that I've ever killed everyone in a game before. This colony is built in a dangerous area, that's for sure. Normally it wouldn't have last long!  :'( Now, this is a computer game and there's an autosave every 10 minutes!  ;D  :-[

Third picture

I only made this one for @Tom Sawyer. This is supposed to be rye. Tom's model is more realistic. You can also see my well filled stores.

Fourth picture

This is my first attempt to decorate something: I wanted to put flowers at the cemetery. They belong there. This "ghost stuff" is good. I don't think, I've ever used any of it before. It's possible to build on other constructions. But I find all flowers too big, almost "man high". It doesn't look really good. I couldn't build the tulips, it's just the building image; I had no tulip-onions yet. (Now I have some and have built a lot of (I guess too many) huge tulips.) :-\ ;D I'll show you later.

Nilla

I promised some more pictures.

First picture

I know, I have used the decoration stuff a bit too much, but I wanted to test. The trees around my "religious center"; a chapel with a small cemetery on each side, are also a bit too close and also too bright green to my liking, but I will leave it like this. I just thought, how nice it would be to walk in the shadow beneath these trees a hot summer day, looking at the huge always flowering tulips on my way to the market.  ;D So I left it the way it is.

Second picture

Here's my industrial area with a blossom hedge as noise- and smell protection around it. I had to build the blossom hedge because I don't have enough stone for a normal hedge. @Tom Sawyer; again I like your version better; charcoal in boxes instead of these grey/black pyramid piles.

Third picture

Here's a small unit, I talked about above. There's no decorations and I have no plans to make any. All trees and the flower bush are "natural". The stop sign right, is a mini herbalist. Sometimes when the amount of honey runs low, I close the brewery and send the brewer out in the woods to pick herbs. I have to alter many professions, because there's not more than 48 citizens (32/4/12).

brads3

hi NILLA, welcome to the world of  CC. have you found any glitches or bugs in the megamod??? when it 1dt came out ,there were many.  any missing items at the traders or un named items in storage?? i have not downloaded the mega. many of the mods i have already. so far i found 1 piece i would like out of all the pics everyone has shared.
   you are right the CC is a totally different world. many production chains. you will run into wanting a building and find you need something else to even build it. lumber for some,building supplies for another,etc. hope you have some fun with it. it will b a nice break from the north.

Abandoned

Hi Nilla,  hope all goes well with your new map.  Hope you have better luck with traders than my new map, year 11 finally got useable cabbage seeds, still no grain. We are using the same Colonial Houses, one of my favorite mods.  Mega mod seems a bit overwhelming to me.  Have not tried those roads or decorations yet.  Looks good.

Nilla

No, @brads3, I've found no bugs. I downloaded the latest version of the Mega Mod and it works fine. There's only one small thing, that doesn't work the way I want. It doesn't have to be a bug, just me not knowing how to use it. I find, all these mixed materials on stockpiles doesn't look very nice, so I build special warehouses for these materials. I know and appreciate the General Store from @RedKetchup, but I also built 2 others (I think CC) storehouses in my industrial area. The small for fuel works very good, but I haven't seen one thing in the big one for materials. Maybe it's just for special CC materials, but I think I have enough lumber, hartwood, glass, bricks and other stuff, that occasionally one or two pieces could be stored in this huge expensive building. Even after i took away the vendor from the general store (of cause he would take materials out of that close store first) I saw no changes. I will keep an eye on it.

I have tried some earlier version of CC, so I know about all these special materials, recipes and upgrade possibilities. And yes, I have buildings, I can't use, because I haven't got all the ingredients, yet. It has also happened, that I've wondered why some building takes so long to build, as I've overseen, that some special material I didn't had, was needed. But it's no big problem in this game.

Yes, I was lucky, @Abandoned, I have a lot of different seeds. But to be true, it wasn't so much luck. I've build one of @kid1293´s special ports for seeds. That helps the luck a lot! ;)

It didn't happened all too much in my settlemet yesterday. It takes time to build like this.

First picture

Industrial area, still in development. The high grey building in front, is the one that doesn't work.

Second picture

City center in autumn also under development.

Third picture

A farm, another of my "units". They sell their own products at the main road. Fresh food directly from producer! Good stuff!

Tom Sawyer

Wanted to visit you in your nice and warm colony. But the tornadoes are really bad there. Right at the beginning. Evil.

Your decorations look good. I like the flowers in the cemetery and your market square. Would like to walk around there and buy some delicious Mediterranean food. I also want to try out the Megamod but at the moment not enough space on my ssd.

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 07, 2016, 03:19:57 AMThe high grey building in front, is the one that doesn't work.

That should be the Material Warehouse - to store large amounts of Materials such as glass, ores, metals, clay, bricks, building supplies, housewares and more...

I'd say you don't have enough materials yet - most probably other storage areas are closer and not filled yet, so the lazy bums just drop their stuff there...  ;)

* It's one of my favorite storage facilities (together with their smaller partners)... always worked well for me (though I have zero experience with MM).

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Abandoned

Nilla, I really like that little farm you made with the one cow and is that a chicken coop?  That must be CC. Does the cow and chicken each take one worker?  I always see something I have not seen before.  Like your new town, flowers in cemetery very nice too.

Nilla

Yes, @Paeng, you were right. Now I have 3(!) bricks in that big warehouse. In the description, it says that you can store.... ores... metals...., so I thought that iron and iron ore, needed in that area, would be put there, but it seeems like it's only for the "new" CC material. Now I know, and it would probably have been better to build something else on that spot. But it looks as it belongs there, and I have a few CC- material production sites in that area, so I guess, it will be more, as the town grows.

Yes, I think these small pens are CC. I like them, too. You need one farmer for each, but it's not as "bad as it looks". They produce around 500 eggs/milk each, every year and also some feathers/leather, so one worker is quite appropriate. You need 4 domesticated animals for each pen. They could be "produced" in the stable next door. 

Personally, I'm not so fond of the flowers on the cemetery. They are much too big, except the small violet one (that's ginger; grows wild in the forest and is also a crop). But that, on the other hand, could not be placed on the "right" spot; beneath the gravestone. Yesterday, I made screenshot from a grown man walking through the daffodils on the graveyard. A child would totally disappear.  :-\ ;D

I didn't play so much yesterday. There's not much new to show. I've started to build a canal, (over-) decorated the inn and a few other minor things.

Turis

Nilla, you have a sense of landscaping that goes way beyond me. I always stick to functionality without caring about looks. I use my muscles to build the house and you'll patiently make it look better. :)

Paeng

Quote from: Nilla on November 08, 2016, 02:35:27 AMnot so fond of the flowers

True, flowers are often quite oversized... try the flowering shrubs from CC, they are pretty cool - different greens, pinks, roses...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

Nilla

Quote from: Turis on November 08, 2016, 02:49:16 AM
Nilla, you have a sense of landscaping that goes way beyond me. I always stick to functionality without caring about looks. I use my muscles to build the house and you'll patiently make it look better. :)

Thanks for the flowers, but I can't really agree. I would like to have more aesthetic sense. It's hard to find the right balance; some tasteful "right" decorations on the "right" spot. Normally, I never use one decoration piece. Here I know, I have a tendency of over decorating. But it's a test. I do enjoy this game, at least so far. But I can also say; it's not "my" way of playing Banished. Normally I'm an extreme functionalist! After this game, I will go back to that. ;)

And yes @Paeng, I have planted some of these bushes, also quite large. You may see one with white flowers at the house with the Swedish flag in the upper right corner on the first picture.

Nilla

A few more pictures.

Now I play 1x all the time. It gives a good flow. I have a couple of development areas, at the same time. I set a couple of buildings in one of them. Than I switch to the other, to see how much is built, since I last look. Often most of the building commissions are done, so I can go on with a few more. If the building projects are too many, I look to the "gameplay"; take a look at the stores, change crops or products, start some buildings, that were closed......

One thing I cannot understand; As I asked for advice, you said @Gatherer, that you can stop the game for hours and only plan. How can you do that? I don't mean, that it's boring or useless. Just how can you get a picture of the result? Often, I can only build one building at the time. I have to see, how it look like first, before I set the next in the area. Of cause, I have no experience in such a way to build things, but I don't think, I could ever get that ability; to see how things will look together, before they are built.

First picture

These water buildings look a bit like a "slum" to me.

Second picture

Here we have some producers of consumers products around the small picnic area. You can get your fresh bread and the jam next door or a soup in the soup kitchen (if I ever get the ingredients for one of the soup recipes ;) ) and eat it right there.

Left is a second industrial area. Here are "heavy" food producers located together behind the hedge.

Third picture

Another market square and a canal. @RedKetchup; there might be a small "bug". The structure of the water is different at the thin pieces. I marked with the circles.

Fourth picture

Oh no! I didn't know we had any modders from the North!  ??? I'm not so sure, I will produce any of these!  :-\ 

Tom Sawyer

I had to research what surströmming is ...

A fermentation process of at least six months gives the lightly-salted fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste. When a can of surströmming is opened, the contents release a strong and sometimes overwhelming odour. The dish is ordinarily eaten outdoors. According to a Japanese study, a newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world  :o ;D

Nilla

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on November 10, 2016, 05:06:03 AM
....one of the most putrid food smells in the world

Agree!

It's quite popular in the North. And if you happen to be a young woman, freshly moved in from the South, you will be invited to several of those "surströmmingsskivor" . It's eaten with a special kind of thin bread, onions and a special kind of potatoes.  You will need a lot of "hembränt" to endure it.  ;) I can tell, it smells worse than it taste, but enjoy it? Certainly not.