Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

3 grains I would like to see added to the game for their beauty:

Poppy seeds:

Sunflower seeds:

Rapeseed:
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

And if you harvest the poppies early, you get opium.  Then the farmers all zone out and everyone starves to death.  *giggles*

solarscreen

Quote from: slink on May 26, 2014, 06:45:01 AM
And if you harvest the poppies early, you get opium.  Then the farmers all zone out and everyone starves to death.  *giggles*

Well, they were Banished for a reason...

Add Counselor to the professions list and the hospital will actually have work to do more often too!

salamander

Quote from: slink on May 26, 2014, 06:45:01 AM

But ... they starve happy.

rkelly17

Here in the Frozen North we refer to "rapeseed" as canola. Much more dignified, don't you think? I think our farmers/govt. agencies were worried that "Rapeseed Oil" would be much harder to make a mass market commodity than "Canola Oil." Am I correct that in Europe it is not so much a food oil as here? The great thing about having rapeseed/canola is that the fields are just so downright beautiful. Last time we were in Germany it was the flowering season and the view from church towers in rural towns was breathtaking.

Kaldir

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 26, 2014, 07:45:13 AM
Am I correct that in Europe it is not so much a food oil as here?
I don't know about other countries, but here in the Netherlands it's hardly used, and even then maybe more in fuel (biodiesel) than in food oil.

rkelly17

Thanks, @Kaldir. I saw so many fields of it in Germany that I assume they make use of it, probably as in the Netherlands for biodiesel. In Canada it has become a major food oil, probably because it  is widely grown in Western Canada. It is almost unpatriotic to use something else.

solarscreen

Ah! Canola...  I should have known.

Maybe a fuel source.

Kaldir

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 26, 2014, 08:29:30 AM
Thanks, @Kaldir. I saw so many fields of it in Germany that I assume they make use of it, probably as in the Netherlands for biodiesel. In Canada it has become a major food oil, probably because it  is widely grown in Western Canada. It is almost unpatriotic to use something else.
I was going to say that being a small and densily populated country (9th most densily populated according to Wikipedia) meant the Netherlands don't have much room for agriculture, but according to Wikipedia again we rank third worldwide in value of agricultural export. Well, what did I know...

kee

Rapeseed oil has seen a sharp increase as a food oil here in Norway since the introduction of double-low strains.
I'd very much like to see fields of gold ingame (barley) as it has been the staple grain for people in more extreme climates (both northern and desert). Add hops and have the brewery produce reinheitsgebot ale- needing two sources but giving longer happiness effect, akin to steel versus iron tools.
Kim Erik

mariesalias

I believe one of the issues many (people, as well as countries) take with canola/rapeseed oil is that it is pretty widely GMO. I do not think it is as bad as soy or corn in this respect but I believe it was pretty high up there.  (By "bad" I mean almost all soy and corn are now GMO varieties, so it is variety I am more commenting on.)

I have no wish to start a debate on GMO vs non-GMO foods, I was just observing one reason it may not be widely-used as a food source in some countries, even if they grow it.

slink

One of the reasons why the currently grown commercial rapeseed crop was renamed to canola, besides the obvious, was because rapeseed was known to contain a toxin.  Canola oil is from a variety of rapeseed that was selected to contain almost none of that toxin.

Personally, I prefer olive and sesame seed oils.   :)

mariesalias

We use primarily olive oil and coconut oil. Though occasionally when we need higher-temp oils we use canola.

slink

We have some coconut oil also.  I use it primarily for greasing bread pans and occasionally on my hands.

mariesalias

We us the coconut oil with baking rather a lot. The flavor is not strong enough to change flavors, but tends to complement most baked goods. Plus, we never have to worry about anyone in my son's class being allergic to it. He is allergic to soy and many people do not realize that vegetable oil is mostly soy, so he has to skip cupcakes and such rather often in school. So we try to make sure no kids have to skip a treat on his birthday!