Started by irrelevant, March 06, 2015, 08:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Hey, I can't resist a challenge.

Mods
-Bobbi Special Doctor House
-Fog-B-Gone
-No Wind
-that's all (I'd use Irrelevant Tweak Crop, but I'm not going to do any farming in this town.)

Map

Year 1
Gatherer
Hunter
Chopper
BH
School

Year 2
Forester
Barn
Smith

Year 3
Tailor
Herbalist

Year 4
Second BH
(Note the hunter production)  ;) @Nilla

I just realized with this start that the natural forest node pairs are Forester/Hunter, and Gatherer/Herbalist. Foresters tend to interfere with the production of the Gatherer and Herbalist, but Hunters don't care; Gatherers and Herbalists thrive under similar conditions; you could put a Hunter with them as well.

Nilla

I still can't believe how you do that. (I mean the hunter). Mine usually shoot 2.  :-\

Maybe you also have more luck with the boarding houses than I have. I play that challenge, too. I am only a bit too lazy to blog it. I'm almost done, maybe another 8-10 years to go. I also do it without farming, and just for fun without a trading port. I am trying to expand it fast, but I can't. It develops, but very slow and I don't have the patience to really micromange it well. I think you might be the right person for this. I'm really looking forward, to see how you do this.

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on March 07, 2015, 01:48:07 AM
I still can't believe how you do that. (I mean the hunter). Mine usually shoot 2.  :-\

I was doing some comparisons the other day sparked by the fact in some maps my hunters just can't keep a tailor supplied and on others they create a surplus of leather. I remember from some time back a discussion of hunters on another forum in which someone concluded that there were spawn points for deer. I think that sometimes we just get lucky and place a hunter very near a spawn point and sometime we don't. Beyond that I could never find any difference between locations that perform well and locations that perform poorly.

irrelevant

I just look for where the herds are grazing. They will always return to these locations (don't know if it's the same herd each time or not). I think these also are the spawning points. I place my cabins so there are at least two of these in the circle.

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on March 07, 2015, 01:48:07 AM
Maybe you also have more luck with the boarding houses than I have. I play that challenge, too. I am only a bit too lazy to blog it. I'm almost done, maybe another 8-10 years to go. I also do it without farming, and just for fun without a trading port. I am trying to expand it fast, but I can't. It develops, but very slow and I don't have the patience to really micromange it well. I think you might be the right person for this. I'm really looking forward, to see how you do this.

The BHs do take some fussing around to get the kids all to hook up. I had to close each of these briefly 2-3 times, sometimes singly, sometimes at the same time, to finally get them all paired off. I made sure I had a good amount of food banked first, of course. And in 2-3 months there were 7 new children.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on March 07, 2015, 09:09:32 AM

The BHs do take some fussing around to get the kids all to hook up. I had to close each of these briefly 2-3 times, sometimes singly, sometimes at the same time, to finally get them all paired off. I made sure I had a good amount of food banked first, of course. And in 2-3 months there were 7 new children.

This is exactly what i mean. That it's not enough to try it once. With 1,2,3 boarding houses it's somehow OK, but I have 40(!) of them. And I definitely don't have patience enough to find mates for everyone there. My tactic; each summer I make a big coupling action: Pause the game, demolish every house, turn the game on for some seconds, pause the game, undo the demolishing. A lot of new couples are found, but there are also a lot of young singles that rather stay at their parents.  :-\

I know, this is not a really good approach, but that's the only way I found, to make it playable for me.  :)

And to the deers: I sometimes have 3 herds where I put my hunter. Result: 2 deer each year for one hunter.  ???

kee

Good to see that you are enjoying the challenge. As for pairing up: It will be fun to see the different approaches here. The deer you see are purely ornamental still, right?
Kim Erik

irrelevant

Quote from: kee on March 07, 2015, 11:05:08 AM
Good to see that you are enjoying the challenge. As for pairing up: It will be fun to see the different approaches here. The deer you see are purely ornamental still, right?
Nope. They are walking food and leather. A hunter walks up to one and does his hunter dance; the deer vanishes, two meats and a hide appear on the ground, and the cabin gets credit for 200 meat and 6 leather. Exactly the same thing that happens to cattle in a pasture.

The challenge is fun and, uh, challenging. ;D

Unfortunately I won't get much game time for a few days here.

salamander

Quote from: irrelevant on March 06, 2015, 08:38:26 PM
I just realized with this start that the natural forest node pairs are Forester/Hunter, and Gatherer/Herbalist. Foresters tend to interfere with the production of the Gatherer and Herbalist, ...
This is interesting.  Is this just the forester lodge taking up space in the gatherer/herbalist circle, or do foresters dig up the others' resources as they plant?  It seems like the conventional approach from way back was to use foresters and herbalists together since the idea was that herbs grow best in old forest.  I'm not sure that was ever really shown to be true ... maybe it's just a Banished legend.

Nilla

This is an interesting topic. @irrelevant , I think you are right..... and...... wrong with this assumption!

I mean (from my experience):

Gatherer (and herbalists) produce more if they are by themselves, than together with a forester if..............
the forester is high productive but.........
they produce more, if the forester is low productive/only planting.

I think the main reason to put forester, gatherers and hunters together, is the reason that they all need space and space is a limiting factor in this game. At least this is my reason. If I really need high productive gatherers, I try to use the neighbour foresters to produce a thick, productive forest. I don't think @irrelevant that you can hold on to the separation of those, when your game grows bigger. But please prove me wrong.

irrelevant

@salamander  @Nilla  I believe (and I have not studied this carefully enough to know for sure, this is just my impression) that both herbs and forest food sprout only in proximity to trees that are at least 4 years old.

Foresters set to cut will harvest trees once they reach 4 years old.

The "4 years old" condition may not be strictly accurate for any of these items, but I believe very strongly that these mechanisms are something very similar to what I describe.

Therefore, a forester set to cut will be reducing future harvests of herbs and forest food. If he is also set to plant, he may be able to cancel out somewhat the detrimental effect of his cutting. However, I have noticed that an herbalist next to a forester set to cut and plant will have diminishing herb returns to the point of zero. That tells me it is possible that herbs may need trees even older than 4 years to sprout under, maybe 5, 6, or even 7 years.

The bad thing is that trees tend to die after they reach 7 years. So to help the gatherer/herbalist max out, you should give them a forester set to plant only. The problem with this is that such a forester can easily create a forest so dense that there is no longer any space available for herbs/forest food to sprout under them! Maybe the trick here is to use just a single forester at the hut.

tldr; forests are very sensitive ecosystems. They definitely bear study that is difficult to undertake in the middle of building a town.

irrelevant

Year 5 - needed another barn, me and my surplus food. Speaking of, need more food! A second gatherer with the hunter/forester pair. Planning the third BH.

Year 6 - a second forester with the original gatherer/herbalist pair. Set to plant only for now.

Year 7 - cemetery, cause we all gotta go sometime.

Year 8 - third BH done. Getting new families to form is a chore, as @Nilla has described. Multiple BH closings and re-openings. Demolished the original chopper and built a new one near the market. I have decided that I will do this town without trading posts; since I'm not going to farm, what's the point? A new forester will work to establish a new forest node in the erstwhile TP clearing.

Year 9 - two new foresters, two new hunters off the top edge of the screen. But what?? Nearly ran out of both tools and coats!  :-[ ;D

Year 10 - second settlement begun.

edit: this site is not letting me upload any images tonight. I'll try again later, or tomorrow. :-X

irrelevant

Year 13 - Food is maxxed, more barns!

Year 14 - I forgot to build a Town Hall!!

Year 15 - More barns; fixing up new couples in BHs is a major hassle!

Year 16 - a third BH on the right-hand (northern) market, then it will be time to expand to the south. Also thinking of getting an iron mine and a quarry built off to the east somewhere.

Again, not uploading image files.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on March 09, 2015, 08:27:13 PM

I see the image files attached to the post and can click on them to enlarge them.

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on March 10, 2015, 09:56:35 AM
Quote from: irrelevant on March 09, 2015, 08:27:13 PM
I see the image files attached to the post and can click on them to enlarge them.

Oops, that was last night.