irrelevant - Gnaw Bone: going for Mountain Men, Isolationist, and One w/ Nature

Started by irrelevant, September 25, 2014, 06:24:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

800/24, that's an impressive amount from only one hunter.

How bad is the harsh climate? Bit early to see clear patterns yet if you haven't played with it before either, but what kind of spring/summer/autumn can one expect on harsh?

irrelevant

@Pangaea I can't really say; since I'm not farming, I haven't been paying much attention to the weather.

I believe hunter efficiency is mainly determined by putting the cabin in a good spot. That hunter got 1200/36 in year 2.

edit: I know that a single cabin supposedly can bag only a single deer per season, but this fellow obviously hadn't heard that rule. Maybe the rule is "only a single deer per season per herd." This cabin has multiple herds passing thru its circle most years.

irrelevant

Early Spring 6 - pop 37

Not a lot got done this year, I was micro-ing stone collection. Have to make sure I have enough to build a quarry! edit: D'oh! Iron, not stone.

Did get my annual brace of houses built, and started on an herbalist and a gatherer in the new forest node. The original forest is so small, it gets blown out so fast, the forester, herbalist, and gatherer all three.

One of the new houses is on the far east end, in which direction lies the future. Unfortunately the location I have selected for the quarry is in the western cul-de-sac. My guys will just have to be doing a lot of stone-toting, because that's really the best spot for it. I'll have to put a bridge down there so they don't have to go the long way round to get to South Vale, which is the largest buildable area on the map.

irrelevant

Early Autumn 6 - pop 43

That certainly was unexpected; I figured I was behind in building houses, but there is no MF pair ready to move into my 12th house. Guess I should be checking instead of assuming. There's a couple of male students who may graduate later this year or in the spring, and a 24 y/o F waiting....

Ah! Good going Melises! :D

Still, looks like I need to take a 1-year break from building houses.

Screen 3 - the second market is going to go here.

irrelevant

Early Spring 7 - pop 44

Late snow, glad I'm not farming!

Just waiting for enough extra bodies to staff the quarry once it's built.

irrelevant

SMFH! I just realized the quarry takes 40 iron, not 40 stone! ::) :o >:( ;D Building the second market immediately.

RedKetchup

hehehe yeah quarry requires iron and iron mine requires stones :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Early Spring 8 - pop 48

I can't believe how much I was holding back building because I thought I needed 40 stone for that quarry! ;D

Built a forester in the town and deleted all those paused houses; should have done this years ago. It's little things like this that I've missed by going for big pop thru farming.

irrelevant

@Pangaea Early Spring 8, another late snow. I guess this is what harsh does; could really screw up your whole growing season. Need the hardier crops, not beans. @RedKetchup's Irrelevant Crop Tweak would be great for harsh.

It warmed up to 35 and then there was yet another snow, temp back down to 30. Nasty.

Irrelevant Crop Tweak cabbage, squash, and potatoes would just laugh and ask for more.  ;) Corn would've bit it, but wheat would have been okay. Beans, pumpkins, and peppers would have been stomped.

irrelevant

1320 grub, not bad for a single gatherer.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

Next year, same one gatherer, 1430  :o

irrelevant

Early Spring 9 - pop 51 - the Mountain Men clock is running  8)

Another snowfall after the start of the season. @Pangaea I think this is what you can expect from harsh, snow falling on your early planting. Irrelevant Crop Tweak  ;)

Screen 1 - South Vale is growing.

Screen 2 - everything.

This town is so much fun! :D

Pangaea

Have had visitors this weekend, so not been able to check in much.

Looks like harsh is indeed a rough customer, and farming will be tricky in such conditions. Squash might handle late snow okay, but another issue, I think, is that you also need decent temperature for crops to grow decently, so if it's pretty cold each summer, harvests will be poor. If it doesn't work quite like that, then farming will still be okay, with the caveat that you'll lose more when winter comes early, or stays late.

irrelevant

Early Spring 10 - pop 57

Planned expansion of housing in east (foresters, hunters, gatherers, builders) and west (quarrymen).

First death, followed by three more in the following year, all among the originals, all of old age, all in their mid 60s. Life in a harsh climate is hard on a body. But that's okay, that's two houses I didn't have to build  ;)