News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mod request - lower school starting age. Now done!

Started by Alycya, September 04, 2014, 05:42:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alycya

The one thing that's bugged me about Banished since it was launched is the school starting age - it just doesn't seem realistic in this type of community. I know Bannies don't exactly qualify for parent of the year awards the way they just let even the youngest kids wander miles from home and idle in graveyards by themselves in all weathers, but even they would surely prefer them in school from an earlier age!

Is there a way of coding things so that if there is a school place available, children become students at, say, 6 years old, but stay children until 10 if not?

I realise this will make them into educated adults a bit earlier (which may be counted as making the game a little easier) but that would also be more in keeping with the setting - my grandparents left school at 14 in the 1930s and that was normal. The only people who stayed on longer were either those from wealthy families who didn't need the extra income or those aiming for university.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who feels like taking this on!

Alycya

slink

Maybe children in Banished are home-schooled until they reach the age of 10?  At any rate, I suspect that falls under AI, which we are not able to modify.  It also possible involves the age of adulthood, which would make 5-year-olds get "married".

Alycya

Quote from: slink on September 04, 2014, 06:04:41 AM
It also possible involves the age of adulthood, which would make 5-year-olds get "married".

Yikes  :o And I thought married 10 year olds was bad enough!!

slink

This comes from Template\Citizen.rsc.  It turns out that you could make them adult when they are younger but not have them get married at that age.  This appears in the file.  I copied it verbatim.

// age at which children becomre adults
float _adultAge = 2.0;
float _marriageAge = 2.0;
float _marrigeRange = 4.0;
float _childMinAge = 2.2;
float _childMaxAge = 8.0;

Alycya

I'd just seen this on a thread on the Banished Mods forum (for the one year is one year mod).

So could the child age be lowered and the marriage age not changed (or even increased to stop 10 year olds getting married, which is just wrong in my book!)? I guess it would mean you'd have 6 year olds working until you built a school though...

slink

I guess they did work at age six, in the old days, or at least seven.  Seven is when my mother told me she had nothing more to teach me and I was on my own.  Luckily for me, there were child labor laws where I grew up, so I actually got to live with her until I was 20 years old.

Alycya

I DID IT!!!!!

I created my first mod to do just this :)

It lowers the school starting age to 7 AND raising the minimum marriage age to 15 (and the age for a woman's first baby to 16).

Obviously, if you don't have a school, you end up with child labourers but that's probably realistic in this type of community!

I've not tweaked how long students stay at school, so they should "graduate" at 14 at the earliest.

I'll post the .pkm file in the mod garage if people are interested  :D

Bong

Can we apply it to existing save? You tried?
If not, that will have to wait for me to finish current game :) But anyway, nice mod  ;)

irrelevant

I shall look forward to my guys visiting their uneducated 7 year old doctor, and turning to an uneducated 7 year old cleric for counsel and comfort. :D

A 7-year-old brewer might raise some eyebrows, though.

But seriously, congrats on your mod!

Alycya

Quote from: Bong on September 04, 2014, 01:13:41 PM
Can we apply it to existing save? You tried?
If not, that will have to wait for me to finish current game :) But anyway, nice mod  ;)

Yes, it works on existing saves, but it has the unwanted side-effect that any children between the ages of 7 and 9 turn into uneducated adults as soon as you enable the mod   :-\

Alycya

Quote from: irrelevant on September 04, 2014, 01:34:55 PM
I shall look forward to my guys visiting their uneducated 7 year old doctor, and turning to an uneducated 7 year old cleric for counsel and comfort. :D

A 7-year-old brewer might raise some eyebrows, though.

But seriously, congrats on your mod!

LOL  ;D ;D

Something I'd like to investigate is if certain professions can be limited to only educated citizens, or failing that have a minimum age limit on them - think that might be more complicated though!

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bong

It's worth taking risk as I am at ~400 pop, so could try it :D

Alycya

I've tweaked it slightly after playing it for a little while as there was too much of a gap between children becoming uneducated adults and being able to marry (I had a couple of kids move out of home and live solo until they were 15 when a house became available) - the school starting age is now 8, and the minimum marriage age is 14.

I've posted the file in the mod garage if you want to try it  :)