News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Technical questions

Started by assobanana76, May 14, 2015, 04:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 19, 2015, 11:02:17 AM
Not like wildfire without a "plant-only" forester. They will eventually spread by natural means, but not very quickly. In the days before @RedKetchup's "Decorative Trees" I used to build a "town forester" and staff it with one worker, plant only. Then the native forest trees did spread like wildfire within the forester's circle. I forget where I saw this idea, but it is not original to me. If you're obsessive-compulsive enough you can even end up with a single variety of tree by cutting the other varieties. Once @RedKetchup gave us a way to plant trees exactly where we wanted them, the town forester seemed like too much work.
considering the development of the forest not too slow I decided just to wait ..
although the proposal obsessive-compulsive was intriguing!  ;D ;D

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 20, 2015, 09:00:36 AM
I just tried an experiment with keeping food production somewhat higher than demand.  At around 350 population level, I suddenly got a drop in production that was seemingly unexplained and found myself with general starvation in spite of having lots of fields in production, lots of distribution centres (Markets), and lots of storage.  Is there some pernicious thing in the program that insists on a crop failure crisis?  It happened over two Sim-years without warning of any kind.
uh .. if I translated well, this is worrying for me .. I too have an overproduction (currently 15000 food for 70 people!)
I have to start worrying?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

A Nonny Moose

I had about 100 10 x 10 fields with multiple crops of pretty much all types.  One farmer each, and I try to keep residences close to both fields and markets.  I had five or six markets (now scrapped).

This was on a medium map, with fields and communities widely scattered.  Easy mode, mild weather, disasters off.

I wonder if I shouldn't push for even more surplus than I've been keeping.  Maybe I should make like the biblical Joseph, stick to grain and make sure I have full granaries with supply for lean years.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Paeng

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 20, 2015, 09:00:36 AMAt around 350 population level, I suddenly got a drop in production that was seemingly unexplained and found myself with general starvation in spite of having lots of fields

I have noticed that there are certain thresholds in the game - when you cross them, things seem to "accelerate", mainly noticed in food consumption. My threshold marks are (roughly) at 300, 500 and 800 population. Those are the marks where your stocks seem to just evaporate, no matter how much you have piled up (within sensible limits of course, like the 'normal' 1:110 buffer)... It has been suggested that these are points where the game sort of "re-evaluates" everything that is circulating at this point, and afterwards presents you with a freshly "updated" situation - which may just be impacting your efficiency (and stores) for a while...

Quoteif I translated well, this is worrying for me .. I too have an overproduction (currently 15000 food for 70 people!) I have to start worrying?

No, that is NOT an "over-production" (it's just double the "normal"), nor anything to worry about. You need to worry if you grow to 300 peeps without raising your food-production proportionately - then watch your 15000 "surplus" melt away like snow in the sun...  ;)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

A Nonny Moose

I am glad it is not just me.  Good to get the "magic" numbers so as to be prepared.  I've started a new village and am planning to stockpile like crazy since there don't seem to be any drawbacks like mold or rot in the bins.  I am also planning to take growth more slowly than I have in the past.

This game is very addictive, even running as slowly as it does on my beat up old box of tricks with the poor multitasking of wine.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

assobanana76

Quote from: Paeng on May 21, 2015, 08:21:54 AM
No, that is NOT an "over-production" (it's just double the "normal"), nor anything to worry about. You need to worry if you grow to 300 peeps without raising your food-production proportionately - then watch your 15000 "surplus" melt away like snow in the sun...  ;)
ok! thanks!
I'll be careful!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

assobanana76

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on May 22, 2015, 07:48:22 AM
I am glad it is not just me.  Good to get the "magic" numbers so as to be prepared.  I've started a new village and am planning to stockpile like crazy since there don't seem to be any drawbacks like mold or rot in the bins.  I am also planning to take growth more slowly than I have in the past.

This game is very addictive, even running as slowly as it does on my beat up old box of tricks with the poor multitasking of wine.
to slow the growth I have decided to build a house every odd year of winter!
I tried playing 10x but I really can not keep up with the numbers of firewood, food, building resources and tools ..
I risked again a shortage of tools because I have raised the maximum level!

assobanana76

technical question:
how do I "transfer" students and teacher in another school ??
I explain why ..
I built a school in a district 12x12 putting even a Japanese temple ..
Then I discovered that in the remaining space is fitted neatly two models of Japanese house..
and in the end I realized that even the model of Japanese school has exactly the same size Vanilla school!
so I asked me why not build the whole district with Japanese buildings ??
But this would involve the demolition of the school which houses 15 students!
I'm going to build anyway a vanilla school in another area of the city but the question is .. how and when I have to do things to prevent all students are transformed immediately in arms work?

chillzz

'transfer' students from 1 building to another :

- build new school
- give new school a teacher
- disable work on old school
- fire teacher old school

support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

Quote from: chillzz on May 25, 2015, 03:15:56 AM
'transfer' students from 1 building to another :

- build new school
- give new school a teacher
- disable work on old school
- fire teacher old school
ok! thanks!
and with the teacher will move all students, right?
but now to me is a doubt ..
if I build it away from previous, students, who will remain the same, will have to do a lot more road ..
or when I will build the new school, in the site of the old, students will go to study in the one closest to home?

chillzz

if there still is space, students will move closer by.
if there isn't space left at the closest school, they'll have to walk further away.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

assobanana76

Quote from: chillzz on May 25, 2015, 04:22:58 AM
if there isn't space left at the closest school, they'll have to walk further away.
ok! .. then..
I build the new vanilla school farther, I transfer all then after re-build the new Japanese school ..
waiting for the students settle in one of the two closest to their house!
thanks!

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on May 25, 2015, 04:29:37 AM
ok! .. then..
I build the new vanilla school farther, I transfer all then after re-build the new Japanese school ..
thanks!

Once a student is in a school he or she will not change schools unless the "home" school is closed, so once the students move to the further school they will not come back to the closer school unless the further school is them closed. Same is true when a student pairs up. Even if the new house is right next door to a different school with space, the student will still walk back to the school where they started. Trying to move students around can be a bit dicey, because if there is even a moment when no school is open, they all drop out and join the work force.

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on May 26, 2015, 08:23:22 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on May 25, 2015, 04:29:37 AM
ok! .. then..
thanks!

Once a student is in a school he or she will not change schools unless the "home" school is closed, so once the students move to the further school they will not come back to the closer school unless the further school is them closed. Same is true when a student pairs up. Even if the new house is right next door to a different school with space, the student will still walk back to the school where they started. Trying to move students around can be a bit dicey, because if there is even a moment when no school is open, they all drop out and join the work force.
the transfer was successful although with some difficulty ..
but in the end I have 20 students equally divided ..
honestly I have not looked in such houses inhabit these guys ..
I assume going in the nearest school, but I will check ..

one thing puzzles me .. have one or two teachers did not affect the number of students!

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on May 28, 2015, 04:27:04 AM
one thing puzzles me .. have one or two teachers did not affect the number of students!

That is probably a characteristic of the particular modded school. The unmodded vanilla school can take one teacher and 20 students. Mod schools have various capacities. For example, @RedKetchup's Adriana's College could hold 3 teachers and 60 students. In any case, all things being equal, citizens who reach the age of ten go to the nearest school that has unused capacity and continue there until they have accumulated the required time in school (not sure what the number is, but it takes longer the further the student lives from the school--spread school around the map). So: If you have unused capacity in all schools the students will go closer to their house with no consideration of the ultimate capacity of the school. If the vanilla school fills up with 20 students, then you may see a higher capacity school with more students, but as long as the vanilla school has less than 20 you won't see any difference except based on population spread.

By the way, if all your schools are full, at age 10 citizens go directly into the workforce and remain uneducated, so keep school capacity higher than needed at the moment.

Just my opinion: I like the look of Adriana's College, so I build one per map on the main town square. Settlements should look good. Logistically more smaller schools spread around the map mean shorter times in school for more citizens, so I build a vanilla school at every market even if I have way too much capacity for the population. Get those little Bannies to work!

Bobbi

I build my schools exactly the same as @rkelly17. Adriana's College in main downtown area, many little school in all rural areas, none of them at capacity, so that no one has to walk too far for their education. I believe in "quality" education, with a teacher with only a few students...in other words, get those bannies working ASAP! ;D